AFIII Van Halen Panama Tone Test FW12p09

Thanks for the Balance tone preset. Your clips sound darn close. Your short clip of Baluchitherium reminded me how much I dig that instrumental track. I had totally forgotten about it.

Thanks again for the cool VH presets!

sounds great but sounds like the gain is just a little to high but other than great job.
Thanks man. To reduce the gain, the best way is to reduce the input trim on the amplifier page as this is just an ideal gain boost before the amp. The other thing to try is to turn off the Sat switch on the amp page which reduces the gain a few dB but that has the effect of reducing the distortion a little as well.

Thanks for the Balance tone preset. Your clips sound darn close. Your short clip of Baluchitherium reminded me how much I dig that instrumental track. I had totally forgotten about it.

Thanks again for the cool VH presets!
Your welcome. I really don't know the Balance album at all but people on the forum talk about that tone all the time being really cool. So I had an hour last night to work on this and thought it would be a good challenge to try, which was pretty funny listening to YouTube tracks off Balance and trying to learn how to play the song clips on the fly while tweaking the tone. Got close enough that I thought it was worth posting the preset.

you did good my man.
Your welcome. I really don't know the Balance album at all but people on the forum talk about that tone all the time being really cool. So I had an hour last night to work on this and thought it would be a good challenge to try, which was pretty funny listening to YouTube tracks off Balance and trying to learn how to play the song clips on the fly while tweaking the tone. Got close enough that I thought it was worth posting the preset.

Now you want a real challenge try getting Billy Duffy's tone from The Cult off of the Album Sonic Temple the song called Edie ( Ciao Baby ). I have asked this challenge a while back and still no one has came up with it yet and its been about 2 or 3 months now.

Last edited:
With all the attention being given lately to VH 1 tones I thought I would try my hand at one from 1984 - Panama. One of my favorite tracks off that album, I wanted to see if that tone could be achieved using no tricks, just a 50W plexi amp using preamp / poweramp tubes he supposedly used, with pre-rola greenback speakers, a little EQ and minimal effects. Since he was rumored to have played Frankie on this track, I dusted off my old Peavey Wolfgang with a Frankie pickup. Let me know what you think. Cheers!

Looks to be another AWESOME VH preset that should translate to FM3, BUT NO!!, FM3 brings it over with NO amp...............sooooooooo frustrating.......Help!?!?!?

LOL

I have both an AFX3 & FM3....I’ll see what I can do to make both this preset & Burg’s Brownies preset work on the FM3. Relax...
soooooooooooo relaxed... Burgs himself couldn't translate it in 3 months, but I'm keeping faith that someone will be able to... I've crashed my FM3 so many times trying to lobotomize that amazing preset into the FM3... Just so I don't sound bitchy, its the preset that made me buy an FM3... when I should have bought an AX3+FC6.......

it's missing a little bit of "sizzle", imo. try throwing a cab with JBL D120's into the mix

getting his tone isn't really that hard if you want to dial it in yourself. just run a superlead with everything on 10 into greenbacks + d120's with the variac on 75% and a frowny eq in front of the amp to push the preamp and clean up the top and bottom end.

it's missing a little bit of "sizzle", imo. try throwing a cab with JBL D120's into the mix

getting his tone isn't really that hard if you want to dial it in yourself. just run a superlead with everything on 10 into greenbacks + d120's with the variac on 75% and a frowny eq in front of the amp to push the preamp and clean up the top and bottom end.
Thanks Simeon I'll try that.

Back
Top Bottom