AFIII Van Halen Panama Tone Test FW12p09

guitarzen

Inspired
With all the attention being given lately to VH 1 tones I thought I would try my hand at one from 1984 - Panama. One of my favorite tracks off that album, I wanted to see if that tone could be achieved using no tricks, just a 50W plexi amp using preamp / poweramp tubes he supposedly used, with pre-rola greenback speakers, a little EQ and minimal effects. Since he was rumored to have played Frankie on this track, I dusted off my old Peavey Wolfgang with a Frankie pickup. Let me know what you think. Cheers!

Sounds great, & close enough to the original iso track. Gain is in the ballpark as well based on listening on my iPhone:cool:

Preset please!....what pre-rola GB did you use?

nice, sounds like a lot more gain than he used but def gets the vibe
Thanks! I listened back to the isolated track and I agree with you, a little too much gain. I have the "ideal" sat switch on which does boost the perceived gain up a bit, as well as this input trim up a bit (but no drive, all Plexi distortion). I'll include some lower gain scenes in the patch when I share it tonight.

Sounds great, & close enough to the original iso track. Gain is in the ballpark as well based on listening on my iPhone:cool:

Preset please!....what pre-rola GB did you use?
Thanks Willowdale! When I listen on my laptop is sounds a bit bright (like all VH) but through my 3-way Event monitors the base and thump becomes much more evident. I'll share the patch tonight after work. I don't remember which pre-rola off-hand but it is a factory IR and it will be in the preset.

Thanks Willowdale! When I listen on my laptop is sounds a bit bright (like all VH) but through my 3-way Event monitors the base and thump becomes much more evident. I'll share the patch tonight after work. I don't remember which pre-rola off-hand but it is a factory IR and it will be in the preset.

Yeah, I listened to it on my studio monitors & it has more gain than the original for sure, but it sounds awesome! Looking forward to the preset 🤘

Yeah, I listened to it on my studio monitors & it has more gain than the original for sure, but it sounds awesome! Looking forward to the preset 🤘
Here's the preset. A quick thanks to Mark Pritchard for some ideas I got from his VH1 preset for setting up the amp.
Scene 1 is what I used to record the clip. Scene 2 adds a tape delay in the right channel, which makes it more fun to play. Scenes 3-6 just duplicate these first 2 scenes with progressively lower gain (by lowering input trim on the amp page and / or turning off the amp Sat switch) which makes it closer to the album.
Now the guitar I use is pretty bright and low output, so I would suggest adjusting the input trim (probably lowering it) on the amp page until you have the gain level sounding right for your guitar, and tweak the EQ before the amp if your guitar is darker, etc. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Van Halen Panama.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 122
Great preset🤘 covers '78 - '84 no problem. The different gain levels, proper guitar/reverb panning, right channel delay....what's not to love?

The awesome '72 Plexi 50W 6550 with the 6CA7( Eddie's much rumored favorite power tube....a great addition by Cliff).

Sounds great with my 5150 Kramer replica with Frankie pickup & my black & white EVH Striped Series with Wolfgang pickup.

Thanks guitarzen👍

Great preset🤘 covers '78 - '84 no problem. The different gain levels, proper guitar/reverb panning, right channel delay....what's not to love?

The awesome '72 Plexi 50W 6550 with the 6CA7( Eddie's much rumored favorite power tube....a great addition by Cliff).

Sounds great with my 5150 Kramer replica with Frankie pickup & my black & white EVH Striped Series with Wolfgang pickup.

Thanks guitarzen👍
Thanks, I'm stoked that it's translating well to your setup. Cool guitars. Rock on :cool:

here is this if you want to try these out.

Moderator edit: If these were commercially purchased presets, you cannot post them here. I removed them. (Sinmix)

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator: I downloaded those for free when I was using the Line 6 Helix. I have tons of ir's that I downloaded for free legally by different companies..

Last edited:
Now you should try and make one for VH Balance :D since this one sounds so good.
Here's my attempt at the Balance tone. Please excuse my playing in the clip as I don't know these songs at all, but I think the tone is pretty close. The preset is attached also. It is based on the same core Plexi tone as my Panama preset (as there is a rumor that Ed only recorded using the old Plexi even on Van Hagar stuff) with the Detune mix cranked up, less cab low cut, and dynamic depth increased. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Van Halen Balance.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom