Van Halen on Kimmel

ya know, nobody talks about the real elephant in the room. eddie, as dave once famously remarked, has been playing the same solo his entire career. what he does is very cool, and i can't do it, but it has changed little since the 1980's and i find it tiresome. i never could stand dave, and the brothers were just downright dickheads to michael anthony. you put your kid in the band? freaking lame. i wouldn't give them any of my hard earned money.

let the quonsar-bashing commence.

I don't get why there's so much hating on Roth here. The guy injures his nose and still does the show. Kudos.

Lets face it - these are 60 year old guys playing party music they wrote in their 20s. It's never going to have the fire it had all those years ago. Time is a bitch.. and none of us escape it.

I have mixed feelings watching it, on one level I feel 'why do they want to do this, aren't they sick of these songs? Don't they want to do different things with music these days?'
On the other I feel 'well they can still put on a decent performance, not like they could in their prime, but it's not embarrassing, so if they are still enjoying it and there's still an audience that wants to hear it, why not do it.'

In either case it's their call. My opinion or anyone else's doesn't matter a damn. We can sit in the peanut gallery and pass judgement but why not get out there and kick some ass ourselves with our music? Or alternatively why not shut the hell up bitching about them and leave them do their thing, the way they want to do it, with the line up they chose.

I thought it was a good performance.

I am and always will be a fan of VH and DLR.

Pretty dissapointed in the community's comments. I guess it's hip to bash on icons when they get old and never stop doing what they love and made a life for themselves out of.

I don't get why there's so much hating on Roth here. The guy injures his nose and still does the show. Kudos.

Lets face it - these are 60 year old guys playing party music they wrote in their 20s. It's never going to have the fire it had all those years ago. Time is a bitch.. and none of us escape it.

I have mixed feelings watching it, on one level I feel 'why do they want to do this, aren't they sick of these songs? Don't they want to do different things with music these days?'
On the other I feel 'well they can still put on a decent performance, not like they could in their prime, but it's not embarrassing, so if they are still enjoying it and there's still an audience that wants to hear it, why not do it.'

In either case it's their call. My opinion or anyone else's doesn't matter a damn. We can sit in the peanut gallery and pass judgement but why not get out there and kick some ass ourselves with our music? Or alternatively why not shut the hell up bitching about them and leave them do their thing, the way they want to do it, with the line up they chose.

I actually agree with you said in most cases. I have fans that all the time contact me and they are at different levels of ability and I show them kindness and respect and give them encouragement and do not make negative comments about their abilities. I think doing that is a bad thing in most cases. But I want to give you the reason I don't think it is 100% of the time a bad thing even if it is 99% of the time.

People who are cocky, who think they're the shit, better than everyone else, who have that type of attitude, to me deserve to be blasted like that if they are not all that and sometimes even if they're but Dave as douchey IMHO, he's not all that, just thinks he is and I frankly can't stand that so Yeah I make comments that to me equalize his douchiness. And let's be even more honest. The guy hasn't done anything impressive since like the early 90's, maybe I missed something that is possible, but he's a hasbin and though some hardcore fans will disagree and even get offended "Sorry about that" I too want to express myself both positive and negative in public on how I feel just like you do so yeah I can understand your view, not sure you can mine but that is ok:)

And lastly, my favorite VH albums are with David, though I enjoyed many of Sammy's and VH work the best of the best are the ones with David, now saying that live, Sammy blows David away and to me as a fan live is where it's at. Anyone with the right producer, the right equipment and the right guidance who has some talent can sound pretty amazing, it's when you go live that your true talent show,s and All I see David doing is dancing around like he's in a Karate Kid movie, and screaming out of time and pitch like he's tone deaf. "IMHO, tone deaf and music" Just don't go together, and unless you're incredibly intelligent and understand music enough to get past your tone issues, Dave has never sparked me as intelligent, he's actually IMHO the exact opposite.

I guess it depends on how you perceived the band in the first place. When I was a kid my first exposure to Van Halen was on MTV. And the 2nd thing I noticed about the band (obvious what the first thing was!) was the crazy front man doing funny stuff in their videos. To me it was never a question of him being a great rock singer, like a Robert Plant etc, he was an entertainer first and foremost. And when you put that together with Eddies crazy guitar playing it was a very appealing package to a 15 year old guitar nut.

I liked some of the Hagar stuff, and sure he's a better singer on a technical level, but the Dave era Van Halen was a much more fun band for me. With Sammy it all seemed a bit serious..lets do some power ballads etc.. still a great band but a little dull to me.

So now they have Dave back in the band what's he supposed to do? Suddenly turn into a word class singer or remain the class clown? Both of those are tough calls at his age but it seems he's chosen the one that's more natural for him, the latter.
Sure he has a massive ego, but lets be plain, so does Eddie. I worship him as a musician but as a person.. he's done lots of less than admirable things IMO. Removing former band mates from album art work is just a dick move IMO.

So again.. I don't know why people are singling out Dave for hate, I just don't see it being justified.

Dude is 60 with a busted nose trying to sing a song in the same key he did when he was in his 20's.

Give the guy a break.

They at least could have down tuned a half step for him. Many bands from that era are downturning a full step (in some cases more) then when they played back in the day.

I'm giving Dave the benefit of the doubt. His timing is consistently off, and it isn't off in the Ellen video which was before he busted his nose. Which leads me to believe that had some impact and maybe there were some monitor issues. The guy is a true showman. The show must go on and that is what he did.

And Eddie can play that same solo for as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned. The guy revolutionized guitar like nobody before him not named Hendrix.

He's doing the Diamond Dave Vegas lounge act thing where it's cheeky and hip to play around with the timing, rat pack styling. It's deliberate.

Still tuned to Eb...maybe time for drop C...shame but still love em, but is EVH trying to steal the Hammett Wah crown or what....? Hate that effect with a passion

I actually agree with you said in most cases. I have fans that all the time contact me and they are at different levels of ability and I show them kindness and respect and give them encouragement and do not make negative comments about their abilities. I think doing that is a bad thing in most cases. But I want to give you the reason I don't think it is 100% of the time a bad thing even if it is 99% of the time.

People who are cocky, who think they're the shit, better than everyone else, who have that type of attitude, to me deserve to be blasted like that if they are not all that and sometimes even if they're but Dave as douchey IMHO, he's not all that, just thinks he is and I frankly can't stand that so Yeah I make comments that to me equalize his douchiness. And let's be even more honest. The guy hasn't done anything impressive since like the early 90's, maybe I missed something that is possible, but he's a hasbin and though some hardcore fans will disagree and even get offended "Sorry about that" I too want to express myself both positive and negative in public on how I feel just like you do so yeah I can understand your view, not sure you can mine but that is ok:)

And lastly, my favorite VH albums are with David, though I enjoyed many of Sammy's and VH work the best of the best are the ones with David, now saying that live, Sammy blows David away and to me as a fan live is where it's at. Anyone with the right producer, the right equipment and the right guidance who has some talent can sound pretty amazing, it's when you go live that your true talent show,s and All I see David doing is dancing around like he's in a Karate Kid movie, and screaming out of time and pitch like he's tone deaf. "IMHO, tone deaf and music" Just don't go together, and unless you're incredibly intelligent and understand music enough to get past your tone issues, Dave has never sparked me as intelligent, he's actually IMHO the exact opposite.

I'd say dave is extremely intelligent. Yes he is manic maybe bipolar. He can riff speak like robin Williams. I'd venture he has quite a high innate intelligence. Maybe uneducated in the strictest sense. Remember his dad was a very successful ophthalmologist so he comes from brains as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah..Well.. Whatever. The bottom line is, Dave’s up there, we’re down here, he can afford to suck and still people applaud!
Contrary to Dave, most here can be glad if Santa Clause even knows who the fuck you are.
You keep on suckin… aahhh rockin on Dave!

Last edited:
I love Troy Grady's analysis, and that video shows that "orthodox" is pretty meaningless when it comes to the greats in many cases. That position and movement look so inefficient but Eddie's never sounded inefficient, so clearly there's more than one way to do it.

I love Troy Grady's analysis, and that video shows that "orthodox" is pretty meaningless when it comes to the greats in many cases. That position and movement look so inefficient but Eddie's never sounded inefficient, so clearly there's more than one way to do it.

Totally agree. One of the things that attracted me to rock guitar as a teen was that the greats broke the rules and wrote a few a long the way. Looking back on it now I know a lot of these things were born from listening. Using their ears. The greats may have had an idea of what they wanted to do whether it was mechanical or musical but in the end they used their ears to hone those ideas.

Back
Top Bottom