Van Halen on Kimmel

What I missed most of all was MA's backing vocals.
amen to that!
I also heard on the radio this morning that Wolfgang will not be touring with VH as he is about to release his bbq own band's album. Maybe Michael Anthony will come back?
as much as i don't think that's likely, that would really be awesome!

i agree that both hagar and cherone are better singers, but van halen has always been to me a fun, devil-may-care rock and roll band.
when sammy joined, the music and lyrics became serious and when gary joined.. ferggedaboudit..i mean, could you get anymore depressed?
even though we have to accept that our heroes (and we ourselves) do get old, we still kinda hope they remain the same as when we were first awed by them.
it is like this for me with these guys.

I can't pay good money to hear Van Halen (DLR) sorta sing. I'll pay to see Eddie. Part of me wishes that Eddie and Valerie had more kids. One that could sing would have been the ultimate resurrection of this band!!!

To be clear, I thought Ed looked bored on the other clip, not Panama.
Oh and another kid for vocals. A Dutch-Italian-American rock Partridge Family.

One last observation: Is it me or is Alex looking a little more like Larry David every day?

As much as I love Van Halen (and grew up on them) and I did love the live show in 2012, when I see this show now I have to say that DLR is just awful and these tunes just sound so dated now especially since these guys are in their 60's and still singing "Hot for Teacher".

As much as I love Van Halen ... these tunes just sound so dated now especially since these guys are in their 60's and still singing "Hot for Teacher".

You just have to reinterpret them. Before they were cougar chasing and now cradle robbing. Van Daddy, like sugar daddy.

not defending DLR, he was def phoning it in...but I have to wonder if there was a tech problem that caused the timing issues. he was so consistently behind the band it almost sounded like really bad latency.

Sadly if we want to watch Eddie play live most likely for the last time we all have to endure Dave and the bad vocals. I love Ed but I'm just not so sure I can sit through Dave for 2 hours anymore. As I said I love Dave on the recordings but live this what we get and it's hard to listen to. Man if they could all get along and we could have half the night with Dvae and half the night with Sam that would be great but I have no doubt some one would get killed before the tour was done ........

Cherone encores FTW. "Neworld/Without You" closes the show. Sammy sings 2nd verse, duets the choruses backup vocals. Dave crowd surfs. Eddie and Uncle Alex get Wolfie laid. Everyone goes home happy.

Maybe it was just the friggin gum chewing that threw everything off!!
It was, for some reason, quite disturbing!

I knew that was getting on someones nerves as well as mine. Chews gum like a cow. I am not a Dave basher. Was near worship when I was 12. Never a great live singer as everyone has mentioned but this is getting bad. I feel for the VH boys because I thought the band sounded as good as I could hope. The are doing a Detroit stop at a great venue & I can't decide if we should go or not. It is not the $. It is the fact that it may bum me out. If anyone sees this tour I would appreciate a review. Maybe DLR will get it together (if physically possible)

Well after seeing on Ed on Kimmel I got all excited and got the new live album.
I figured they will just fix DLR's vocals a bit.
Much like they did with the guitars on Kiss Alive.
I was wrong. Dave pretty much sounds the same.

John

oh my gawd...how embarrassing... :disgust:

Doesn't DLR have a friend that can pull him aside and tell him how awful it is??? Really...

I wouldn't go to see that if it was free.

Well, maybe this explains it. I'll give him a get out of jail free pass. Its interesting how a lot of us just cant give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe a few of us would have phoned it in too, under the circumstances...

I really wish it was the nose that made him sound that way but I saw them in 2012 I think when they first went on the road prior to the new album with Roth. And he sounded the same as he did on TV. I'm not going to bash the guy he just is who he is. A good front man that just isn't a great live vocalist. And if Eddie is cool with it at least to the point that it's good enough that he won't reach out to Sam then what can we as fans do? We go and listen to the band and have terrible vocals or we just don't go and hope this isn't the last time Van Halen hits the road.

But at their age and with all the health issue they have had collectively and the fact Wolf is playing like three bands now I'm just not sure if Van Halen will do any more touring after this so my personal delima being a fan of Ed is do I just go and deal with Roth or take a chance that the y tour again and maybe with Haggar before they hang it up.....

Back
Top Bottom