Van Halen Mean Streets

Yep yep, and yep to everything you guys said. That's the reason you didn't get the patch. LOL! The other reason is, I don't do the pans inside of my AxeFx because I play with my band and like to be down the middle and centered here in the studio. I HATE the panned off to one side thing. When I recorded our VH demo for the tribute band, all the processing was done in my DAW which is why the sound you guys heard is like it is. I wanted you to listen for the tone, not the verb. :p

Trust me, I've been at this stuff for what feels like 100 years and have a little bit of a clue. Hahaha! (ok not much of a clue, but I got something?!) The new patch (video is rendering for it because I think you'll dig seeing all that is going on) is ready and the verb is pretty close...for what I had time for. Busy day today/tonight.

One of the issues (not really an issue, just something I didn't add in) is the sound on the left isn't totally dry if you listen to Ed. You hear room sound, you hear snare rattles, it's "alive". If we pan the reverb all the way to the right, we sound a bit dead on the left. So I panned to 60% right leaving us a little effect in the left channel. Feel free to edit it any way you wish. My fix for this would be to use a small room verb. I didn't get into all that though.

Quick rundown of notes if you do not want to watch my video...

The patch is like it is with multiple effects because it was originally created using my MKII and I now also have an XL+ so it hasn't been XL+'d yet.

Any gain you wish to reduce, try the input drive where I have it set to 2.50. For easy adjustment, right click on input drive and reduce it from controller unless you remove the modifier.

I don't tune like you guys do, so I have a lot less tension on my strings therefore needing more gain or my stuff dies out. I'm tuned to a C under your E, yet I play at 440...go figure.

If that fails to reduce the gain, reduce compressor output level if need be. But you should be fine reducing input drive.

5 scenes 1-5

Scene 1: Delay-on which will work for Runnin with the Devil, Everybody Wants Some, Dance the night away, So This Is Love and most general delay tones. Flanger block is controlled via expression pedal Extern 3 on the flange mix knob. Extern 2 controls gain using wah pedal.

Scene 2: Hear About It Later. Flange on, turn on using expression pedal, delay, clean amp, panned center in stereo. Sound isn't perfect, but it will get us through for now.

Scene 3: Aint Talkin...control flange from Expression pedal Extern 3

Scene 4: Dry sound with just verb. Flanger controlled the same way...on-off with expression pedal.

Scene 5: Lead sound with phaser set to on. To shut phaser off, expression pedal down controlled by Extern 3.

Chorus can be turned off and on for all patches for a diver down type sound. Or on for scene 1 is a panama type sound.

That should do it.

Thanks for sharing your work and taking the time to make a video to boot, very much appreciated. Being EVH inspired from day one, I always like to see and hear the approaches/inspirations of others to Eddie’s game changing guitar tone, technical and playing-technique achievements.

I just loaded up Quantum 3.0 beta ( XL - not plus ) and "viola" the preset appeared !

I didn't have time to play it at all this morning, but I'll report back later !

THANKS again for your hard work ....

Darn it, you;re killin' me! OK, I'll top it....wait till ya hear my lay it down patch! :p SIKE!

Isn't, Lay it Down a Crosby/DeMartini tones and not, "Sike?" o_O ... and Isn't that spelled, "Sykes"?... as in John? ;):D
... just messin'... but seriously appreciate your sharing and efforts, Danny.

Danny is awesome. He is always there to help teach with great videos. Thank you for your work and for sharing your presets.

Thanks for that, bro. Much appreciated. I just hope this stuff helps a few people. Gonna upload these presets to the right place so that people don't have to go digging through threads to find them. :)

Isn't, Lay it Down a Crosby/DeMartini tones and not, "Sike?" o_O ... and Isn't that spelled, "Sykes"?... as in John? ;):D
... just messin'... but seriously appreciate your sharing and efforts, Danny.

LMAO! Pretty clever there. Gotta get up early to hang with you in the quick thinking department. :) I got a chance to sleep a little late today. Big rottie jumped on me and said "feed me or you're brunch" and my lil shorkie at 6 lbs said "yeah, what he said!" Lol!

Ah you're welcome. I dig doing stuff like this. :)

Just figured I'd join the chorus thanking you for your knowledge and expertise, Danny. Your tones are exactly in my favored zone (please tell me you have that 'lay it down' preset/tut on your todo list for realz... LOL!) and everything you are doing in the videos is informative, interesting, and sounds killer. I will probably break my vow to not load the beta; just to try your preset, it sounds amazeballs in the vid.

Just figured I'd join the chorus thanking you for your knowledge and expertise, Danny. Your tones are exactly in my favored zone (please tell me you have that 'lay it down' preset/tut on your todo list for realz... LOL!) and everything you are doing in the videos is informative, interesting, and sounds killer. I will probably break my vow to not load the beta; just to try your preset, it sounds amazeballs in the vid.

You're welcome and thank you! I didn't have that preset in part of the to do list, but I'll probably share it at some point. Been working on some low gain and blues type tones that anyone will be able to get. Hoping to share that vid tomorrow at some point.

Thank you all once again for the kind words. Glad this stuff is helping you. :)

OMG ..... for the love of God , please someone make this available for the AX8 , as multiple presets if there's too much CPU to have an "all in one" like this.

I need this , like a crack whore needs crack. Incredible. Please..... ?

Thanks guys. Yeah I felt good about this one to the point of when I played and analyzed them, the hair on my arms stood up.

Don't take me wrong, I've heard some guys on here totally nail vh perfectly with the playing to boot. BUT.....one thing you will notice in this patch is, what all the others have been missing. 12AX7 artifacts.

Every vh tone I have ever heard that sounds nearly identical that isn't a real amp is always missing Eddie's pinch harms. Remember that guy that was posting a few years ago that didn't want to share his vh sound because it was how he made his living?

He had one of closest I ever heard but he STILL had that synthetic, transistor tone. You won't get that with this patch. I chose this amp and how it breaks up on purpose.

With the patch will be five scenes that you can use on various vh songs like Ain't talking, Jaime's crying, unchained (there is actually another tone match for that patch as the mean streets tone doesn't cut it, but you'll be OK using mean streets) everybody wants some, eruption, and atomic punk and hear about it later.

I've added what I felt was the closest in flangers, delays and phaser. None of it is spot on, just my take on one of my fave guitarists and some of the stuff I use in my vh tribute band....which I'm probably the worst Eddie as I play more of my own licks "inspired by" Eddie.

I've even got a pretty good 1984 type patch with the drop dead legs octave going on. Now, here's the deal....

I think I've brought these patches to the limit as far as what I can do and what my ears tell me. I usually do all my vh splitting with the reverb and panning etc inside my DAW. I can release these patches as they are if you want and you can split the verb up, or if you insist I can do it. But it may be better for you to do it so you can have the patches immediately.

I would say you probably want them immediately since you guys can fix the verb block in seconds. So I'll see what you guys say about that and in the meantime, I'd like to make a video explaining what actually happens in the scenes because there is quite a lot going on.

I also am doing a blues type video today also showing how important a good cab block is. One cab block, if it's the right one, can be used on several different amps with little to no change for classic rock, blues and gritty sounds. So that vid is coming hopefully today.

My issue there is I want to use a stock cab for it and don't like any but 2 or 3 and didn't feel my own cab IR helps show what you guys can do, understand? It's like cheating if I use something that I created, where my points are to try and get the best out of the unit stock. But anyway, let's get this vh thing sorted first. See you in a few hours....I got a client in 8 minutes then I'll work on it. :)

I really love old VH tones and can't wait to check this patch out this weekend. Thanks for taking the time to do this and sharing! I really like the Drop Dead Legs tone from 1984 that you mentioned, so if you ever have the chance to share that one too I'd love to see it. Thanks again.

Danny, your VH preset ROCKS! At least in my rig & gear....translates very well. Best VH tones I have ever gotten. Thanks for your insights, contributions, videos and such.

I had an opportunity to work your patch over for a short spell over the last few days... I'm glad it's in my arsenal, Danny. :D
Sorry to be a downer... I did find one anomaly/bug in amp block 1.
The input drive numerical value increases, (as the gain does as well) but the lcd knob won't dial up/down with the increase/decrease of drive. Works on other amp models that are in my presets. So I figure just to post here rather than in, "Bugs" as this was a preset and from what I've checked, not affected in other amp models.
If someone could verify this, that would be great. I'm using the XL. Thanks.

I had an opportunity to work your patch over for a short spell over the last few days... I'm glad it's in my arsenal, Danny.
I did find one anomaly/bug in amp 1.
The input drive numerical value increases, (as the gain does as well) but the lcd knob won't dial up with the increase of drive or the numerical value above. Works on other amp models that are in my presets. So I figure just to post here rather than in, "Bugs" as this was a preset and from what I've checked, not affected in other amp models.
If someone could verify this, that would be great. I'm using the XL. Thanks.

Try killing the controller function on input drive if you haven't. I have a pedal hooked up to control that. Right click on it and kill it if it's still showing control enabled. That's the only thing I can think of that may be happening. Unless I'm misunderstanding you?

Exactly what is was. Never saw the controller enabled as I was using the front panel and not AE. Thanks Danny. Sorry for the false alarm...
Boy!... is my face red! ("excerpt from UHF") :oops:

Exactly what is was. Never saw the controller enabled as I was using the front panel and not AE. Thanks Danny. Sorry for the false alarm...
Boy!... is my face red! ("excerpt from UHF") :oops:

LOL! It's ok brother, we're only human. Glad that's what it was. ;)

Outstanding brother. Thanks for doing this. Would you by chance want to share your live preset? Pretty please?

Back
Top Bottom