VAN HALEN ISOLATED TRACKS ..!!

Yeah, these all come from Guitar Hero Van Halen that was released a few years ago. There's about 27 songs in all from VH1 thru 1984.

They are available all over the net if you search, as well as hundreds of other isolated tracks from other artists.

Between master backing tracks with vocals & isolated tracks, Rockband & Guitar Hero have been one of the best releases ever! lol

I don't think the makers of these games(or the artists) intended for all of these tracks to be ripped from the games, but I love the fact they're available for sure!!

I read an article by one of the engineers working on the isolated tracks for the Jammit software. The track was Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple.

Was an eye opener to me, I didn't think too much about it, but for most of these classic records, the individual stems were not printed.

So these isolated tracks in most cases are re-creations made recently from the master tapes.

The sounds we have come to love from the records are a result of a 2-trk mixdown that probably included some processing and running through a desk etc. These sounds were not individually recorded.

So for these games and learning software, the original tracks on tape are re-processed by engineers to sound like the record.

I did wonder listening to some isolated tracks, if they really were that harsh or not.

Food for thought anyway to me,
Richard

They are available all over the net if you search, as well as hundreds of other isolated tracks from other artists.

Between master backing tracks with vocals & isolated tracks, Rockband & Guitar Hero have been one of the best releases ever! lol

I don't think the makers of these games(or the artists) intended for all of these tracks to be ripped from the games, but I love the fact they're available for sure!!

Just a footnote - these EVH tracks ARE the real deal, but not ALL of the isolated guitar tracks ripped from Rock Band and Guitar Hero are. Whenever the guys who produced the games couldn't get the original studio stems they used session players to re-create them. 'Tone matching' by ear (with a studio full of amps/cabs/guitars) and playing as close as possible to the original.

Years ago I read a guitar magazine artice about this, but I could never find a link or reference online.. Anyone else remember that?

EDIT: Just read the post above, I didn't know anyone processed from master tracks. But the old article I read (about studio re-creating tracks) went into a lot of detail about how they used different amps and effects, etc, to 'tone-match- as close as possible.

So I think it's a real shitmix of these iso tracks on the web: Some are REAL, some are somehow isolated from printed mix and others are re-recording by copycats. :)

I think its possible to hear the tracks from the original tapes.

But lost is the mixdown. Gtr tack from tape machine -> desk preamp -> desk EQ -> outboard gear (often compression) -> reverb send -> master buss -> 2 trk tape machine

I suspect there is a lot going on in the mixdown that would be re-created from the master tapes to make the songs sound like the record for the gaming software.

The Van Halen tracks are authentic isolated tracks from the original master tracks.

For the first year that Guitar Hero/Rockband were out, they only got some artists/record companies to release master tracks so they had to do cover versions of many songs. Soon after the games became very popular and they got pure original master tracks from then on without a problem.

Everyone of these VH tracks & most everything else from those games are the original master backing tracks with vocals & the original isolated tracks.

There are literally over a thousand original master backing & isolated tracks that have been ripped from these games and posted on the Internet at this point.

Last edited:
There are literally over a thousand original master backing & isolated tracks that have been ripped from these games and posted on the Internet at this point.

And I've acquired a lot of them, but still hunting for isolated guitar for "All Right Now" (Free). Dying to tone match it.

The Van Halen tracks are authentic isolated tracks from the original master tracks.

Does anyone have .mp3/.wav or higher quality versions of these files they would be willing to share? I'd love to do Tone Matches of these, but would like to get my hands on less compressed versions. Everything I'm finding out on the net are YouTube versions.

Those sound TERRIBLE. I wouldn't trust such low quality recordings for Tone Matching. (Sorry to poop on the party.)
I've sat with the original multitrack recordings -- the breadth and detail of these tones was huge.

Back
Top Bottom