Van Halen Concert Poster 1980

Phostenix

Power User
A high school classmate posted this on Facebook this morning. This is from Great Falls, MT in 1980. I didn't go to this concert, but saw them in Billings around the same time.

This reminded me of another fact that I had forgotten. Not only did we 14 year old boys have no idea how Eddie was making those sounds we heard on VH I, but our first hearing of those songs was on AM radio!

Kids these days have no idea what it was like for us....

VHConcertGTF1980.jpg

There was a Budget Tapes & Records near our house. That's probably where I bought VH I.

Now, you get to remember where you were when you downloaded a song for the first time?

That's Awesome, and Five years later I will move there working on the minuteman 3 missiles, wow the stories that I can't legally talk about. Anyway, That must have been a great show. Eddie is definitely one of the reasons that I pursued the guitar as much as I did, the sound and his ability still makes me smile when I hear it. That's why I get so giddy when I can dial up a Marshall amp on my black box, I never could afford one back then on a military salary.

Yep, living the suburban life in Peoria now. Apparently by your name you are still living in phoenix as well. Looks like we need to get all the Arizona forumites together for a Fractal Gathering sometime. I know that Jeries is from phoenix as well, as I sold him my Ultra a while back. We should do it after 6.0 is released and every one can bring an amp if they have any of course and we can call it a tone matching party. Arizona as you know has a huge heavy metal contingency, we could get a lot of local Guitarists to come out, and make some new fractal customers.

Yep, living the suburban life in Peoria now. Apparently by your name you are still living in phoenix as well. Looks like we need to get all the Arizona forumites together for a Fractal Gathering sometime. I know that Jeries is from phoenix as well, as I sold him my Ultra a while back. We should do it after 6.0 is released and every one can bring an amp if they have any of course and we can call it a tone matching party. Arizona as you know has a huge heavy metal contingency, we could get a lot of local Guitarists to come out, and make some new fractal customers.

We're actually in Anthem, but I've been using Phostenix on the internets for years. We are part of a church that is in Peoria, though. I'm probably on the other end of the musical spectrum from the heavy metal contingency. :)

I play in Anthem at crossroads at anthem elementary school. What church are you at? What a small world. I don't play heavy metal myself either, I haven't done that in years. I played at Christ church of the valley(CCV) for 15 yrs before crossroads.

I play in Anthem at crossroads at anthem elementary school. What church are you at? What a small world. I don't play heavy metal myself either, I haven't done that in years. I played at Christ church of the valley(CCV) for 15 yrs before crossroads.

We're at Church of the Cross. It's part of the Acts 29 network. Do you live in the Arrowhead area?

Are you using the Axe for worship?

Yep, I live in the Fletcher heights area, lake pleasant pkwy and 87th ave. I definitely use it at church. When I was at CCV I used IEM's, but at crossroads I'm using my beat up QSC k10. That thing has fallen out of my truck so many times I can't count, still sounds great though. To have a tool like this in a church environment is crucial. I have gotten pretty fast at being able to create a preset emulating whatever song is needed for that weekend, that is where this tool shines.

Oh, thank God...I can post again. Account was broken for a minute. Anyhoo, I'm in Scottsdale and would definitely be down for a Phoenix Axe meet-up. Two business partners and I are (hopefully) about a month away from opening our recording studio in Tempe. (Deep Roots Studios) If the timing is right, I offer up the studio as the location for said meet-up if everyone's cool with that. Keep me posted on a potential Axe gathering!

I'm not in that area, but praise God, brothers!!

I used to think $15 was a good deal for a concert, but I don't think I ever saw $8.50!

Oh, thank God...I can post again. Account was broken for a minute. Anyhoo, I'm in Scottsdale and would definitely be down for a Phoenix Axe meet-up. Two business partners and I are (hopefully) about a month away from opening our recording studio in Tempe. (Deep Roots Studios) If the timing is right, I offer up the studio as the location for said meet-up if everyone's cool with that. Keep me posted on a potential Axe gathering!

Jiffzilla, that would be great. I talked with the manager at our local guitar center (I17 and peoria), explaining the idea, and he really liked it. He said that they probably couldn't do it there, but if we do do it, that they could sponsor it somehow. What I envision is getting a large gathering of musicians together and have everyone bring their amps out of their basement (I know we don't have basements in Az, actually I do) where we could make it an event kind of like how in certain areas they have huge gathering of old cars. Across the street every saturday we get a plethora of different muscle cars that do nothing but talk about cars all night. I want to do the same, but with Music gear. I want to do a monthly gathering somewhere, because who you don't catch this time, you get next time. Let me know what you think. PM me and we can get started. The few other musician friends that I have talked were really excited about doing something like this. What I would like to do post this on craigslist, New times, other guitar forums etc- Let me know Arizonans what you think? I know it's a Lofty idea, but you would be surprised how many people you get in May or june when the Temperature goes into the 110 degrees around here.

Thats cool!! My bud has a paper flyer of a house party in Texas a looooong time ago with 2 barrels of beer. And the main band was Queensryche!!!! Sick \,,/

Back
Top Bottom