Van Halen Cathedral Delay Settings

rrhoads17

Inspired
Does anyone have the exact settings for the cathedral delay? I know it is somewhere around 400ms, but i need the specific settings to make it sound right. I mainly want the cathedral delay he used on the Live Right Here Right Now album.

try 370ms - that works well. Remember that it's just 1 repeat at equal volume to the original note played and use your guitar volume knob to "swell" in the delay. For example if you use a 390ms repeat setting you'd need to do the volume knob action faster.
Also add a detune of +/- 9 cents to simulate the Eventide.
Cheers

set the feedback for 0% that will give you one repeat then set it for parallel at 100% dont touch the db control. i think it should also be in mono.

Hey ancient thread but I was wondering if anyone could clue me in to a more functional use of the volume knob for the swell.

It appears that when I watch eddie play he does not rotate the knob to the extent necessary on any guitar that I have used.

Is there a certain pot that makes it easier or some kind of setting to accentuate volume knob movement? I am rotating the knob maybe 130 degrees which is a ton of wrist/finger movement. It appears others of more talent are doing much less, easily half of what I am doing.

Hey ancient thread but I was wondering if anyone could clue me in to a more functional use of the volume knob for the swell.

It appears that when I watch eddie play he does not rotate the knob to the extent necessary on any guitar that I have used.

Is there a certain pot that makes it easier or some kind of setting to accentuate volume knob movement? I am rotating the knob maybe 130 degrees which is a ton of wrist/finger movement. It appears others of more talent are doing much less, easily half of what I am doing.
If he is not twisting the knob very much, it's possible he's using a linear taper pot for his volume control as apposed to the more commonly used audio taper. Most of my late 80's early 90's Ibanez guitars have linear taper volume pots and I find it much easier to do the volume pot swell thing.

Thanks! I will check those out. I almost have it down but my frickin hand/wrist can't handle the massive amount of movement currently necessary.

one idea,
is to use the "karate chop/sawing" method - - hold pick between index finger & thumb, as usual...then keep pinkie, ring & middle finger straight - looks like karate chop....then use heel of the hand and "chop" part, and some of the side of the pinkie pressed against the vol. pot to turn it.

If he is not twisting the knob very much, it's possible he's using a linear taper pot for his volume control as apposed to the more commonly used audio taper. Most of my late 80's early 90's Ibanez guitars have linear taper volume pots and I find it much easier to do the volume pot swell thing.

EVH had an Ibanez Destroyer and that guitar did have a Linear Volume pot in it (from the factory). So its possible that he used that guitar. Wiki states that he used the stock unmodified destroyer on several of the tracks from VH1.

Back
Top Bottom