Van Halen 1 tone attempt

Theres a hissing noise over the guitar tone. Sounds a bit weird.

I would say it is almost impossible to get EVH's amount of gain with pure Strat-Single-Coil PUP's...Thus perhaps some 60-Hz/60-cycle HUM?

That said, I thought the tone was pretty good and the playing was EXCELLENT.

Great Job!

Bill

wow, that's some singing stuff you've got there! NICE

It's like listening to a vhs though, hiss, hiss hiiiizzzzz :p

Hiss

I apologize for the "hiss"....what happened was...
I recorded this at such a low volume, it barely registered in sound forge....so I normalized it to 0db and it made everything louder....as well as hiss.
I assure you the hiss isn't in the patch...it was the purely a recording fluke due to the fact it was 1am and I didn't want to blow my family up with Eddie's tone...
I'll record another sample today at regular volume...
Peace

Actually, it's not too bad at all .... In fact, it's rumored that Eddie's humbucker had one of the coils shorted out, in effect turning it into a single coil ....

The basic gain structure is there as is the chewy-ness in the mids ..., the harmonics ..., pretty much everything VH 1 ....

I'd like to see the patch to study it.

Good job !

Actually, it's not too bad at all .... In fact, it's rumored that Eddie's humbucker had one of the coils shorted out, in effect turning it into a single coil ....

The basic gain structure is there as is the chewy-ness in the mids ..., the harmonics ..., pretty much everything VH 1 ....

I'd like to see the patch to study it.

Good job !
Yeah, I read that a while back and when I had my Soloist with one of those SD triple shot pickup rings and used just one coil it was actually one of the closest VH tones I've ever gotten. It was just too noisy for me though.

Yeah, apart from all the hiss it sounds good. You should put the verb in parallel & pan it to the right with the guitar panned left. This will allow the raw guitar sound to be more upfront. Vh1 was mixed with plenty reverb but it didn't totally take over. It's "massively subtle" if that makes sense.

Great playing by the way!! Post the patch

Hiss aside - Excellent !!

Like I said...hiss isn't in the patch....just the recording!!
I will re-record another since it's daytime and I won't wake my kids!!!
I will also pan the reverb and guitar to go for authenticity!!!

Sounds really good!!!!! When u made the patch did u also add the flanger, phaser, and delay??? If so Id like to hear it.
I am glad to hear u putting together a sound classic VH tone. Seen u play a Custom Strat, I do as well with a Dimarzio humbucker, so I imagine I would get about the same sound as u do. Keep up the great sound clips!

could you tell us your starting point amp you chose before tonematching? Id like to try myself seeing theres alot of isolated Eddie to tonematch..

M

Back
Top Bottom