Van Halen 1 Cygnus?

@Burgs ....

Quoted from Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar .... "I'm not worthy ..., I'm not worthy" ! 👐

And, if it's the "Full Monty" V.H. you're after ..., I actually use a couple of OwnHammer cabs:

OH 412 MRBW Raw D57-V-00
OH 412 MRBW Raw D57-V-FRED ( -7.0 dB )
OH 412 MRBW Raw R-121-00 ( -10.0 dB ) - only if you don't get enough low end ....

I've got an Ash/Maple partscaster w/ a Bare Knuckle VH II ( A5 magnet / 8.9,K ) in it .... So, I recognize that might get a little too bright & brittle for some folks ! To blunt that ..., I also put an IR Player right before the AMP and load up James Santiago's IR of a EP-3 Preamp ....

Side Note: @Admin M@ - I've wish listed it a long time ago ..., but I SO wish we could get the EP-3 Pre-amp in the Drive Block ( the Chase Tone® Secret Preamp™ ) would be perfect ! The options we have now, just aren't the same !!!!

After that it's up to your guitar, hands & fingers !

I bought the pack but I can't find this:
OH 412 MRBW Raw D57-V-FRED

Which folder is it in?

I had them all in my pack. The 500ms->48000Hz->412 MRBW->GNR M25->Mics->D57V folder and the other one is in the R121 folder.
But my D57V folder does not have the CAP45 files, so you might have a different pack. Mine has the FRED files.

Last edited:
I can take NO credit for the EP 3 ..., that was ALL James Santiago. It's up on Axe-Change and I've been using it almost since he posted it back in Oct. 2012

Just use the IR Player ( block ) and put it right in front of your "DIMED" ( BMT & P on 10 ;) ) Plexi and it's suddenly 1978 all over again.

All I'm doing is standing on the shoulders of the absolute GIANTS around here !
Now you've done it. I have to try this. :cool:

Thats strange, it should be after the EDGE IR.

The first one you need is: OH 412 MRBW RAW D57V-00 and that is there

I'm having the same issue as Levipeto...Can't find FRED
It's not there...the others 57V-00 and 121-00 are easy, they are there on my list as well.
Just missing FRED

From the Ownhammer Information Manual:
Positions labeled “FRED” place the microphone at the very center of the speaker at a 45 degree angle, ala the off axis component in the popular “Studio Fredman 45” technique.

So the "FRED" and the "CAP45" are the same?

I guess it depends when you bought the pack as to what it is named. Thanks to all that helped sort this out. I redownloaded the pack and sure enough it's call Cap45 now.

I have to say thanks to all in this thread, Burgs, RD and Jsantiago...been really good to be able to breakdown the route to a great 'Brown sound'
doing things like the Sun plate reverb in parallel , /balance left & right, the Echoplex etc and various settings really really great to be able to sit down and work through it & understand it ...great video Burgs, very much appreciated expanding on RD's info...just grabbed the OH cabs ( was using Leon T's LTVmix2 ) so looking forward to seeing what that adds to the mix cheers

I have to say thanks to all in this thread, Burgs, RD and Jsantiago...been really good to be able to breakdown the route to a great 'Brown sound'
doing things like the Sun plate reverb in parallel , /balance left & right, the Echoplex etc and various settings really really great to be able to sit down and work through it & understand it ...great video Burgs, very much appreciated expanding on RD's info...just grabbed the OH cabs ( was using Leon T's LTVmix2 ) so looking forward to seeing what that adds to the mix cheers
No probs. Happy to help. It was enlightening and good fun for me too. Rock on.

Hi R.D.

Thanks a bunch for this - I've been having a ball.... we are all locked up again, but currently my only concern is how much my volume might be pissing off our (lovely) neighbours!

Thanks
Pauly

Cygnus has gotten SO good that all you need to do is take your favorite Plexi ( mine is the 6AC7 ! ) .... Dime EVERYTHING ..., engage the Fat switch & Bright Switch .... Next in the Power Supply Tab, lower the Variac ( 70% ) & increase the Supply Sag ( to taste ). Then in the Speaker Tab, I add just a little Speaker Compression approx. 3.00 ( to simulate a LOUD amp ) and finally in the Dynamics Tab I add a little Gain Enhancer 2.00 ....

After that you just need to audition your favorite Greenback Cab ( I look for one of the "brightest" ones ) pan that approx. -65 ( left ) ....

Finally ..., I LOVE the Sun Plate in Parallel w/ 100 Mix & 100% Input Gain panned approx. +65 ( right ) ....

Everything else to taste ( Phaser, Flanger, Echo, etc; ) .... Boom !! Almost instant VH I & VH II !!!!

Pretty much exactly what Eddie did back in the day ....

Good Luck !

Hi R.D.

Thanks a bunch for this - I've been having a ball.... we are all locked up again, but currently my only concern is how much my volume might be pissing off our (lovely) neighbours!

Thanks
Pauly

You're welcome but @Burgs did the heavy lifting w/ his video on building the preset ! Also ..., I use headphones a lot when my wife & daughter are sleeping .... I can attest the preset sounds glorious in a good set of headphones ! And ..., sorry to hear you're locked down again !

Last edited:
Oh maaasnn… I didn’t even see Brett’s vid! Just your instructions.
Will check it out as soon as I can
Thanks
Pauly
[
QUOTE="R.D., post: 2123851, member: 8173"]
You're welcome but @Burgs did the heavy lifting w/ his video on building the preset ! I use headphones a lot when my wife & daughter are sleeping, I can attest the preset sounds glorious in a good set of headphones ! And ..., sorry to hear you're locked down again !
[/QUOTE]

I can't figure out how to get the Echoplex TAPE.syx file that @Burgs posted into the IR Player block folder. It wanted me to add as a user cab. I've got a good tone going as it is. Doing some 'Searching' to try to figure it out now.

Edit: Just stumbled onto it. There's a 'picker' option in the block to choose from the CAB selections.

Last edited:
I can't figure out how to get the Echoplex TAPE.syx file that @Burgs posted into the IR Player block folder. It wanted me to add as a user cab. I've got a good tone going as it is. Doing some 'Searching' to try to figure it out now.

You do load it up as a User Cab ! I use it SO much that I've got it loaded in slot U1.0001 .... Then you use the IR Player block in front of the amp and use the "picker" to point it to where you've got the IR loaded ... !

Hope that helps !

You do load it up as a User Cab ! I use it SO much that I've got it loaded in slot U1.0001 .... Then you use the IR Player block in front of the amp and use the "picker" to point it to where you've got the IR loaded ... !

Hope that helps !
I did find it and thanks for responding. I'm definitely using it for my Frankie v2 preset. It seems to be a small boost that's really 'organic' for lack of a better word. When A/B between v1 & v2 I'm definitely liking it in there. It also helps to have an EVH Frankie (boasting now :laughing: ). I feel like I'm nailing the tone. I haven't tried recording it yet but if or when I do, I'll have to set up the pans correctly. I'm just blasting it from my Xitone and it feels and sounds like I would expect Ed's amp did.

I set up scenes for VH1, VH2 and Fair Warning. Still working a bit on Fair Warning but it's really just a drier tone to me, at least for the way I've set it up. I've always assumed the Echoplex was always on for both VH1 & VH2. But listening back I really only hear it in a few spots on VH2. I'm talking about the actual echo/delay. I keep the echo pre-amp block on for all. Dance the Night Away sounds like it's on. A few solos...but it's mostly the panned, plate reverb (Sun Plate) unless I'm missing something.

I've also got Andy Wood's preset for Eddie in the 90's with the detune thing. I plan on stealing some out of that setup for the chorused 1984 and the 90's stuff. 5150 is a challenge for one speaker. I think the tone depends on a scooped separated stereo set up. I'm having fun chasing the tones.

Don't sell yourself short mate - It was your advice that lead to the basis of that great preset that Brett made!
If you have any more such advice for (say) jangly clean tones - or others, I'd very willing to listen.

Thansks(again)
Pauly

You're welcome but @Burgs did the heavy lifting w/ his video on building the preset ! Also ..., I use headphones a lot when my wife & daughter are sleeping .... I can attest the preset sounds glorious in a good set of headphones ! And ..., sorry to hear you're locked down again !

Back
Top Bottom