Van Hagar and beyond EVH - that detune effect?

FPFL

Experienced
Friends,

I know its a love/hate thing with Eddie's post-1984 tone choices. I like them all. For me they are a place in time not just a sound.
I love especially in its latter form - Balance and ADKOT.
Anyone going for that stereo detune effect Ed got so enamored with 5150 and beyond?

How do you achieve it?

I'm sure there's more than one way down the rabbit hole, but I do play in a simple stereo rig both live (FM3) and when recording (AF3). No, I'm not in a VH tribute, but it is a great sound and not entirely apart from Adrian Smith's Somewhere / 7th son era which I do cop in my Maiden Tribute, Aces High.

Be well,

Paul

I love the tones on 5150 album. especially best of both worlds. its clean and dirty at the same time. I remember first time hearing that riff. I read Nuno bettencourt was inspired by that riff when he wrote Rest in Peace from their III sides to every story album

I first got into VH with the 5150 album and shortly embraced the entire catalogue. Over the years I've found renewed appreciation though for the older tones. It's all frigging good

Eventide Micropitchshift (stock on many classic Eventide units, including the H3000 which Eddie used):

L +9 cents, 0 ms delay
R - 9 cents, 25 ms delay

Mix to taste.
^
^
^
^
This ;) That's the setting I'm using, sounds spot on to my ears. Anything more than -9/+9 is too much for Ed's stuff IMO. I like to crank it to -11/+11 for more of a Chris Holmes tone, always loved his guitar sound on WASP's early stuff. 11/12 cents works great for Mick Mars/Dr Feelgood era too

^
^
^
^
This ;) That's the setting I'm using, sounds spot on to my ears. Anything more than -9/+9 is too much for Ed's stuff IMO. I like to crank it to -11/+11 for more of a Chris Holmes tone, always loved his guitar sound on WASP's early stuff. 11/12 cents works great for Mick Mars/Dr Feelgood era too
I always felt like Chris was more about Chorus... But I'll have to try the Detune.

I personally love that VH era! I've got a (free) patch coming out in a few days which includes the harmonizer/detune effect, nails pretty much everything from 5150 and beyond 🤘🏻😉Gonna post it here on the forum as soon as the video is up!
Awesome Rocco!! Hope it works on the FM3 too. I’ve been dying to jam Black and Blue from OU812. Great tune🤘Looking forward to it...

Back
Top Bottom