Validate my thought - why I can't get good high volume tones

VidarAus

Experienced
Get ready for a ROFL moment people.

I run my axe-fx through a desk and direct to some 6 inch monitors. At low volumes (very comfortable listening levels) I have crafted some high gain patches that are simply amazing. They are the tones I hear inside my head, and I love them.

Now here is the funny moment, I have been reading about people tweaking patches for high volume use so I thought I would give it a go (even though I only play for my own entertainment in my study).

So I tuned the monitors up loud and tried to take my patches and dial them in for 'high volume' tones.

No matter what I did, they always sounded harsh and terrible - I mean really, really bad and totally unusable.

I tried everything, but to no avail.

Then it hit me - what the hell do I expect a set of 6 inch monitors (with tweeter) to sound at high volumes? hahaha! They are not meant for that at all!

So I guess high volumes means stage volume with a 4x12 or maybe a set of 12 inch FRFR speakers.

I am an idiot. Here I was blaming the axe (and my own tweaking abilities) when I should have stopped to think about what I was playing this high volume through.

Memo to self - find someone with a 4x12 and power amp or 12 inch FRFR speakers and try again.

ROFL :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:

Anyways, just thought I would post this in-case there is anyone else out there as stupid as me.

Re: Validate my thought - why I can't get good high volume t

I work on my patches at home through a pair of Alesis M1 Active Mk2's. I have to give them a bit of juice, or they won't translate well to FOH. But they only get so loud before they can't hold it together.

It's a whole new paradigm. Experimentation and patience have payed off bigtime.

I only have a set of Behringer Truth monitors - I think they sound decent at low volumes but any louder and they sound really shrill and terrible.

Oh well - I only play in my study at low volume anyways. Would be cool to try it through a big set-up one day though!

A lot of us noobs face the same problem.... we should come out with this ready reckoner of sorts with a dos and donts for setting patches at high volumes... ill pay good money for something like that!

One of these days I'm going to rent some PA time so I can learn what tweaks work at volume and which don't...

Back
Top Bottom