Valhallir IRs

I read some good things other places and decided to give their Wolverine 2x12 pack a try. Sample clips on their web site sounded fantastic, and the reviews are good. Anyone else have experience with these?

From the website:

The Wolverine Custom is a sophistically built DIY-Cab, loaded with 2 WH-80 “Wolverines”, which were produced in 1998 from Celestion™ for Marshall™ to the specs of guitarist Geoff Whitehorn. 2000 pcs. had been produced, and they were used in only two open-back combo-amplifiers to drop off the face of the earth – till now.​

Last edited:
I wrote the (german) review of that IR package and I still mean what I wrote back then. It's a one of a kind deal of a custom cab. Whether or not you like it depends on the style of music you play. If you like Metal, you are good to go. Personally I have 2 IRs mixed into my IR of choice (ML's "Best IR in the world" is also part of it ;)). This Wolverine gives a special flavour no other package could give me.

Since you like the free samples, why not give it a shot?

I wrote the (german) review of that IR package and I still mean what I wrote back then. It's a one of a kind deal of a custom cab. Whether or not you like it depends on the style of music you play. If you like Metal, you are good to go. Personally I have 2 IRs mixed into my IR of choice (ML's "Best IR in the world" is also part of it ;)). This Wolverine gives a special flavour no other package could give me.

Since you like the free samples, why not give it a shot?

Yes I bought them and have tried a few of them, the one called "VH-CI-Wolverine-x-AM-SM57-MP" and a few of the SM57s and e906 IRs. They sound very nice on certain amps. Which one are you using in combination with the "Best IR in the world", and in what ratio? I'd like to try that out.

Line 6 has a free "Allure Pack" of IRs that's definitely worth checking out. It's just 6 IRs but the are some keepers. "Allure_64_USDeluxe_P12N" and "Allure_70s_WhoWatt_100" were great, and the "Allure_59_Tweed_P10N" sounds really good with vintage amps. I loved it with the stock "Brownface" preset.

Last edited:
It's not just the Wolverine and ML's Best I use, there's also one from MB-1992 V30 and two from MB-OS 4x12 Double Whooper inside. Due to stupidity I lost the original Cablab file, so the balance between the IRs is lost. But I know that I used "VH-CI-Wolverine-d-SM57-A1-MP.wav" and "VH-CI-Wolverine-r-RNR1-A1-MP.wav" (adding that one to this IR mix had a big impact on my live sound, I hate it by itself, but in the mix, wow!) from the Wolverine pack, from the MB-1992 V30 I used "VH-MB-1992V30-d-SM57-A2b-MP.wav" and from the Double Whooper I used "VH-MB-V30UK-d-e906-D2b-MP.wav" and "VH-MB-V30UK-k-C414-C1-MP.wav" plus ML's Best. I remember that ML's Best is the main IR and the others were used to fill gaps.

I think I'll try to replicate it again, maybe it'll turn out even better ;) It's been a while since I've launched Cablab!

And remember, I tried to finetune the IR so my sound works best in combination with my other guitarist and bass player. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

And remember, I tried to finetune the IR so my sound works best in combination with my other guitarist and bass player. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

Good point. Also with all IR recommendations from others, the "perfect" IR will most likely be very different depending on your style of music and playing.

Hi there, it's Andy from Valhallir.at.
Thanks a lot for trying and buying our stuff.
If you have any questions regarding our stuff, don't hesitate to ask, write a pm, ask here in the forum, or visit us on facebook!

Cheers,
Andy from Valhallir.at

Good point. Also with all IR recommendations from others, the "perfect" IR will most likely be very different depending on your style of music and playing.
Very correct! In fact I use different IRs when I'm at home practising, because 1. then I use headphones, don't play over a PA system, 2. there I love to have a wider range of frequencies, because there's no other guitarist and bass player and 3. because over headphones I like to add a good amount of reverb, which changes the sound and feel drastically.

Ok so I spent the last couple of hours (basically since my last post) trying to find out how I did this ultimate live IR of mine. I searched through my system backups and I managed to find an earlier version of it :cool: Turns out there's no ML's Best in it, it's only Valhallir.at and CabIR.eu, but not the ones I mentioned earlier. I tagged them on my system, but for something else I guess. I got pretty close, but not entirely there... I must have added another IR I just cannot remember (not ML's Best) :(

ANYWAY, here's my settings of how I got reeeeally close. Since this is a thread about the Wolverine, notice the -3 dB on the Wolverine RNR1. Still, leaving it out is very noticable on a PA system, that one creates some very unique low mids. The SM57 of the Wolverine does the same, there's no other IR of an SM57 that sounds this way. I got it at -15 dB, because for this sound I want the Mesa cab sound to be in front. For me the Wolverine is the perfect match to this Mesa cab sound. All in all the Wolverine IRs are set lower than the 1960AX IRs, because they really are very dominant. Turn them up a little higher and they rule the sound. Its lower mids are so brutal, I have to tame them!!

You might find my mix quite dark, at least most IRs I see and hear from others are much brighter. Too bright for me...
ultima thule.png

Named it after that awesome object in the Kuiper belt ;)

In the cab block I set the high cut at around 10000 Hz (default setting). This IR works with higher and lower values. Depending on the PA system I adjust it if necessary (from ~8kHz to ~12kHz is what I needed so far).

There is something with the mids of the Wolverine, that I can‘t explain. My best friend built the cab to my specs (that were Not really mathematically based) and Tom (the valhallir-tech chief) and me optimized it in several steps. There are 3 different „evolutionary stages“ of the Wolverine Custom. The latest step is the IR pack that is sold. Maybe I will include the First 2 IR packs to the cab pack, as it really seems, that my „precious“ has a lot of Fans out there. This is really the only cab that I will Never ever sell. :)
BTW, most people would not really like that cab in real life. It‘s almost as heavy as most 4x12 cabs, and the speakers do not tend to break up or compress easily. At low volume it sounds boring and at the right volume the soundguy wants to kill you with a mic stand. This cab don‘t give‘s a fu** of your ears start bleeding. I Love it.

Back
Top Bottom