Vai's Delay Settings in New Video Lesson?

I think a tad bit of ducking, but also note that there are a lot of fairly sustained notes with "smooth" transitions so the delay is kind of hiding in there. At the end, you hear it more because he stops the note abruptly.

This song is probably my all-time favorite instrumental ever, by anyone. Thanks for posting - it's so great to hear Steve walk through it. I can totally relate to many of the things he speaks about.

This feels like part of a series... Are there more?

I think a tad bit of ducking, but also note that there are a lot of fairly sustained notes with "smooth" transitions so the delay is kind of hiding in there. At the end, you hear it more because he stops the note abruptly.

This song is probably my all-time favorite instrumental ever, by anyone. Thanks for posting - it's so great to hear Steve walk through it. I can totally relate to many of the things he speaks about.

This feels like part of a series... Are there more?

There's an entire Truefire class where he breaks down the entire album. If you go to their Youtube page, you can see 5 segments for free (and they're all great IMO). https://www.youtube.com/user/TrueFireTV/videos

It's funny, I loooove Passion and Warfare, but FtLoG is not one of my favorites. I don't know, maybe it's a bit too straightforward for me in comparison to the rest of the songs? My favorites on the album are Erotic Nightmares, The Riddle and Love Secrets and those are all a bit quirky :D
-
Austin

Last edited:
There's an entire Truefire class where he breaks down the entire album. If you go to their Youtube page, you can see 5 segments for free (and they're all great IMO).

It's funny, I loooove Passion and Warfare, but FtLoG is not one of my favorites. I don't know, maybe it's a bit too straightforward for me in comparison to the rest of the songs? My favorites on the album are Erotic Nightmares, The Riddle and Love Secrets and those are all a bit quirky :D
-
Austin
Cool... Thanks.

There's something about this tune, especially the solo section, that just grabs me every single time. The level of emotion that is conveyed is very strong... And I don't get that from a lot of songs.

But everyone has their own tastes

The delay, isn't it just a very lov mix level and quite a high feedback level.
Pretty much this. There may be some ducking, diffusion and EQ going on, but the delay level is so low that the primary tone completely masks it.

The gold standard of guitar instrumental's in my book. Emotion, technique. Just incredible. Really cool video too. I'm thinking there's some ducking as well. I use the ducking delay on virtually all my lead presets that have delay. It's a great tool for having the wet lead sound and feel but still have clear articulation in fast passages.

Holy hell that was a great video. That song is so powerful. I love what he said about not ignoring the moments of inspiration and also not worrying about what anyone else thinks about your piece of music. If it inspires and moves you that is all that matters.

Certainly some ducking going on with that delay.

One of my dying wishes would be for M@ to chime in with an in-depth tutorial on how to achieve this delay and the details behind the settings.

Back
Top Bottom