Vai saying Modeling is not there yet :)

he can say what he wants. i don't need to discuss or argue it.

always consider the amount of experience and familiarity with certain gear, as well as other brand relationships.

people can prefer what they want without others having to agree or disagree.

There is, As Chris said no need to discuss his "choices". But it is not really just synergy because he is obviously using the Axe FX III for FX...........Turn off the Axefx III and lets hear the true synergy stuff....Just sayin, not trying to dis Steve of course. Just seems weird. we are NOT hearing the synergy amps. per say.

He says modeling sounds small and there's latency - did he not try his Axe-Fx III? :)

Discuss....

It may be true that Mr. Vai is chasing dollars and protecting endorsement deals. It may also be that as a virtuoso he is speaking from the heart.

Eric Johnson hears tone differences in battery brands within his pedals. Does he have an Energizer or Duracell contract?

Recent Axe FX III firmware updates offer improved amp modeling. Proposed additionsl updates will take drive models to the next level. If that’s the case how are we “there” yet?

No doubt the latest Axe sounds incredible. Perhaps we would do well by listening to the observations of the Uber Pros who can and do play anything they desire. Even if the Axe can nail traditional amp tones... can it nail the tones Guitar Gods have found and require?

It will just get better if we keep our minds open.

Last edited:
Musicians believe lots of things, some real, some imaginary, some completely crazy.

Doesn’t make them right. Doesn’t make them wrong. Doesn’t mean anyone should or shouldn’t agree.

If EJ thinks he hears something in batteries, more power to him. Vai, Kanye West et al can also have ideas and opinions too. I’m free to agree or disagree with any of them, just like anyone else can.

Come to think of it, I care, or should I say don’t care, what Vai thinks about stuff as much as I do Kayne. I will admit both are talented in their own ways, but their thoughts on things just don’t really register. Doesn’t make them wrong but just means I don’t find it has any bearing on me.

Now if Kayne came out and said the III is the greatest guitar modeler made... then I’d take notice lol

At the risk of repeating myself, which I am..........................I know Steve said "thru his rig". But do guitar players understand that? The kid starting out or a few years in? Turn off the darn axefx III and any other fx and lets hear this amazing amp system. Just sayin. I smell $$$........

Btw I admire Vai, just do not like that commercial............

Last edited:
Vai likes to what he likes. So what. I like what I like. So what.

As long as we get the tone that gets the music out that’s all that matters.

Free gear, sometimes custom made for you, is a powerful thing.

Well the "latency" comment is really what grabbed my attention. Is he mixing the Axe-Fx II effects in the analog domain with his dry signal?

Or is he bringing the modules into the Axe-Fx II, processing with FX, output that (including dry) to the power amp?

If it's the latter, latency is not really an issue for him then - even if he doesn't know it :)

I agree with that Amigo completely.
Well the "latency" comment is really what grabbed my attention. Is he mixing the Axe-Fx II effects in the analog domain with his dry signal?

Or is he bringing the modules into the Axe-Fx II, processing with FX, output that (including dry) to the power amp?

If it's the latter, latency is not really an issue for him then - even if he doesn't know it :)
i don’t want to take a single thing away from your points. I do think however that latency and feel along with sag, bloom and give somehow add up to the last 1%. I am astonished at how close the current Axe and firmware gets us there. It’s still a journey. Recent and upcoming, Amp and Drive block improvements along with far-field IR development is proof. Let’s enjoy the ride.

Vai is undoubtedly one of the most talented people to ever play guitar. He’s entitled to his own reasons for opinion, be it money or personal belief. With that said , I could care less who approves or disapproves of FAS products , lol. You guys wouldn’t be here if you didn’t feel the same way. My III and AX8 inspire me to play - more - than I ever did with just my amps. And like many around here I’m sure , I’ve owned some pretty sweet amps.

Fractal has turned my personal amp and cab collection into ( ahem ) dusty museum pieces.

I love Steve Vai's playing and music. He has been using an Axe FXII for effects only for a while and he has praised it in different interviews. It works great as an effects only unit with a couple great real amps. I use it that way myself sometimes, but I mostly use it by itself to record.

I have to call bullshit though. He says the power amp has nothing to do with the tone. I bet if Cliff wrote him a check each month like Ibanez does his "opinion" would change.

Exactly - hes being paid by a non-modeling company...
Hes used an axe fx for years and has said how much he loves it in the past.

Back
Top Bottom