Vai Rig Rundown from Vai Academy

On a related note, I just remembered Thomas's crazy "autograph" guitar and was trying to find a picture to post here. Came across this good overview where he mentions trying to get Steve to switch over to an AX-8:)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...view_with_steve_vais_tech_thomas_nordegg.html

By the way, the autograph guitar is the first one pictured by itself in the article. And the picture does it NO justice. The entire headstock and fretboard and part of the body is holo flash and the neck has bright blue LEDs. When it's on, it looks like a jewel!

It's kind of funny to me how much more cutting-edge Nordegg is than Vai, despite being older and despite Vai's earlier reputation as being a pretty modern player--fancy Jem guitars, rackmount equipment, digital effects, etc.

That large-sized Big Joe rechargeable power supply doesn't seem to be available on the market yet.

with a high profile player such as Vai using the the Antares guitar auto-tune system (which I also bought into fairly heavily) , it is even more shocking that the company has completely given up on the product.....If Ibanez put out a production model of that beast that Nordegg put together....they would sell a shiteton....(at least I’d get one..)

At Vai Academy Thomas showed a lot more of his personal Jem guitar. Very advanced stuff... Apparently there is a production version at about $12k that will be available soon.
Really??!! With the auto tune and Sustainer and stuff??!!

All of this is pretty awesome to me but I'm just waiting for the 'tonewood' purists to show up and proclaim that this guitar must sound like crap since so much of the 'tonewood' was cut out to make room for the electronics!

All of this is pretty awesome to me but I'm just waiting for the 'tonewood' purists to show up and proclaim that this guitar must sound like crap since so much of the 'tonewood' was cut out to make room for the electronics!
As Thomas says in the video "it's the string and the finger"... "Give any guitar to Jeff Beck" :)

I know you're being sarcastic, but I would reply that it probably doesn't matter as much as you might think. The wood can only affect the vibration of the strings to the extent that they are coupled, and they are only coupled in two places: at the nut, and the bridge. I would further say that, although I can't really prove it, I strongly suspect that it is the part of the wood closest to these coupling points that most strongly contributes to the tone, i.e., if you changed the neck wood, it would affect the tone much more than, say, changing the type of wood used for the body wings in a neck-through.

The point at the neck is not at all disturbed relative to an ordinary Jem, and the point at the bridge, I would argue, is not disturbed very much since even in a normal Jem, it is to some extent isolated from any vibratory influence from the body by way of the floating bridge.

Pure speculation on my part, however.

I was sad to see the Antares tech abandoned. I was reading up on the install kits after hearing Hetfield had the Antares system installed in his acoustic Variax, and right as I decided to buy into it I saw the price drop to $399 on the floor units. The price drop tempted me, but I couldn't find a retailer that had one in stock.

That was cool, thanks for posting! Good lawd, I get lost on my MFC sometimes. I can't imagine throwing that guitar into the mix (although I would)!

I know you're being sarcastic, but I would reply that it probably doesn't matter as much as you might think. The wood can only affect the vibration of the strings to the extent that they are coupled, and they are only coupled in two places: at the nut, and the bridge. I would further say that, although I can't really prove it, I strongly suspect that it is the part of the wood closest to these coupling points that most strongly contributes to the tone, i.e., if you changed the neck wood, it would affect the tone much more than, say, changing the type of wood used for the body wings in a neck-through.

The point at the neck is not at all disturbed relative to an ordinary Jem, and the point at the bridge, I would argue, is not disturbed very much since even in a normal Jem, it is to some extent isolated from any vibratory influence from the body by way of the floating bridge.

Pure speculation on my part, however.

Yeah, was being majorly sarcastic! I have seen some videos where identical configurations of hardware are used with different wood types and you can hear a verrrrryyyyyy slight difference in tone but IMO, woods have very little to do with tone in a solidbody electric guitar. It's more just for weight or looks if you have a clear finish on it. Similar to the neck-through vs bolt-on theories I have seen. I believe pick-ups have WAYYY more to do with guitar tone than anything else although nut material and bridge configuration also have a part in it.

Thomas is awesome.

Embracing those Steinberger tuners is cool. I wish they still made them. I would retrofit my guitars with them.

Back
Top Bottom