Vai Jemini Distortion Demo Tones

Warrior

Power User
Trying to find what approach to take to achieve some of Vai's tones from this video:

Steve Vai - Jemini Distortion Pedal Demo (High Quality) - YouTube

The first tone starts at about 2:43.

The 2nd starts at 5:30.

I'm trying to get that thick, chewy, yet articulate and fluid tones heard here.

It seams that the Shiver Lead model has the charachteristic tone. But getting the rest of the way has been difficult so far.

Vai himself owns an Ultra ( and no doubt a II !!! ).
Maybe like other artists he'll be nice enough to share some of his patches ?
Cant wait for Devin Townsends !!

I should state that I am not trying to replicate these tones, but to achieve some of the characteristics of these tones.

i can tell you that i got nothing even close to those tones with that pedal. definitely has more to do with the guitar, amp and playing style. should be a lot easier with the axe than with his beautiful pedal. lol
you still the man steve!!

Trying to find what approach to take to achieve some of Vai's tones from this video:

Steve Vai - Jemini Distortion Pedal Demo (High Quality) - YouTube

The first tone starts at about 2:43.

The 2nd starts at 5:30.

I'm trying to get that thick, chewy, yet articulate and fluid tones heard here.

It seams that the Shiver Lead model has the charachteristic tone. But getting the rest of the way has been difficult so far.

Just buy a Jemini Pedal

I own one and it is very unique and VERY STEVE VAI. Actually, the left pedal was constantly on when playing leads on the Ultra. You know how the pick attack was a bit thin on that unit during lead playing? Not with this pedal! It added nice juicy overtones to thicken up the lead tone in a way that the drive blocks could not. The Axe2 is a different animal. I found that I haven't used that pedal once since the Axe 2 unit arrived a month ago. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
i had a go a while back. just revisited the patch and made some tweaks. i can't say that it's exactly the same, but you may be able to tweak it to your liking. it does have some of the characteristics of his sound, imo

you may be able to get close to the two sounds of his pedal using two different drive blocks. we know one is a bit like the TS and the other may be more like the BB or the Rat. i'm sure playing around with the bias control will get you close. it would be good if someone who has the pedal could model it for us

View attachment 6481

Last edited:
i had a go a while back. just revisited the patch and made some tweaks. i can't say that it's exactly the same, but you may be able to tweak it to your liking. it does have some of the characteristics of his sound, imo

you may be able to get close to the two sounds of his pedal using two different drive blocks. we know one is a bit like the TS and the other may be more like the BB or the Rat. i'm sure playing around with the bias control will get you close. it would be good if someone who has the pedal could model it for us

View attachment 6481

Thanks, I'll give it a try this evening. Yes, it would be cool of someone modeled that pedal.

Hmm... just noticed my typo and mis-spelling in Jemini

Hey Simeon,
That patch wasn't created on an Axe II was it?

I can't get it to import into axe edit.

Tried today for about 10 minutes. No go. There is Vai mojo in that box.

can you try this approach, please?
I<3Fuzz &bull; View topic - can I measure your fuzz, please?

I'd love to add the Jemini pedal to the list and the information from the response file will help me a lot to tweak the drive block(s).
here's the file:
http://www.4shared.com/audio/BoqtBoiC/Sine_Sweep_Noise.html

thank you!
:)

p.s.
maybe with these settings?
vai_settings.jpg

Last edited:
ah sh*t, i didn't spot we were in the axe fx II section. my patch was created on the ultra, sorry.

No worries.

Just an FYI.... the patch I shared above is meant to be used as an overall tone with the drive on. I wasn't claiming to have created a Jemini drive model.

View attachment 6481
I have the Pedal in mint condition. How do I go about modeling the pedal? or any pedal for that fact. If you could give me some insight on how to model the pedal, i'd share the pedal preset as soon as I'm done modeling it.

Back
Top Bottom