Vai - Guitar Anthology tab book

This was all by ear, plus checking many videos for positions/techniques. Sometimes a live video might only indicate he probably played something differently, like crossing strings where there was an obvious slide between notes on the album, so that's something to watch out for during that step. The Naked Tracks and a few iso tracks out there helped too. Steve didn't assist on this one, but I probably could have sent a few questions if totally stumped on any parts. He did see my "Candle Power" transcription before it went up (at guitarinstructor.com) and suggested rewriting vibrato on a chord as a 1/2 step bend & release in the first measure. (I'm not sure how much time he spent looking through the rest of it.)

There are exceptions like Dream Theater as Lurker mentioned, where we had isos and emailed or met with Petrucci for every book (since Octavarium in 2005, plus his first solo album and probably the new one soon). Brendon Small helped similarly for all the Dethklok books. It's probably more common to not do this kind of thing, at least with larger publishers.

You got a really great compliment from Petrucci on a recent Q&A he did with Portnoy. He was talking about the tab books and said he’d helped out previously but at this point he doesn’t need to because they’ve been so accurate.

You got a really great compliment from Petrucci on a recent Q&A he did with Portnoy. He was talking about the tab books and said he’d helped out previously but at this point he doesn’t need to because they’ve been so accurate.
I watched that too. It was nice of him to talk about it for a while.

Looks cool. I’ll probably grab it. I do wish it had The Animal though.
The Animal might be one I can redo eventually, to at least go up at the Guitarinstructor site. I also pointed out that they're now 3 transcriptions short of a new Alien Love Secrets book.

Hey, this book just won an award. Second prize in the Paul Revere Awards for Graphic Excellence, guitar notesetting category.

https://www.mpa.org/2020-2021-revere-award-winners/

https://www.mpa.org/paul-revere-awards/
Congratulations!!!!👏😆

VERY well deserved!!!

For anyone who hasn't checked it out, the transcriptions are EXCELLENT, the book is MUCH bigger than I thought, and there's a ton of work that you can obviously see that went into it!

Tremendous value for money here, this award is well deserved!!! 👏

Wow, Congratulations!
Seen Steve Vai a bunch of times when no one knew him back when he joined/drafted in FZ, been a big fan ever since, just ordered my copy...
Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom