Vai first 30 years documentary free online

Im about halfway through it, Its interesting for sure, quirky in that Vai aesthetic. And there's a lot of little background stuff that's interesting.

Was about to post this. Havent watched it yet either, but opening a bottle of wine and will watch it now... (I am sure I am going to be tipsy and all 80s nostalgic tearup-ing...)

Vai fans might not learn anything knew, but there’s some great unseen footage and it’s quite thorough and well done! I hope there’s at least a part II that covers his 90’s era because I’m selfish and that was my favorite Vai era.

I just watched it.

There was some interesting history and trivia which was cool... But, I feel like a narrator really needs to be well spoken and engaging, and the one in this documentary was neither - in my opinion, of course.

I watched this tonight. I have a connection with Steve Vai in some ways. I saw his 1st show with Alcatraz in Riverside Ca. Didn't expect to see him there but he impressed me big time, playing all of Yngwie's licks in front of a hostile crowd. I also saw him play with David Lee Roth in LA. When Passion and Warfare came out, my father was dying from lung cancer. I bought the tape, and brought it with me when I got the call to fly out. I don't really know any of you people but I will share this. My dad was terminal. I had a day to talk with him, and after that he was doped up on morphine and running out the clock. When the time came and he was passing on, I played For the Love of God on my Sony Walkman. I just now listened to it again. That song will always move me. I wanted to connect that song to my fathers passing. A little weird but that's what I wanted to do at the time, and I'm glad I did it. I was pulling the night shift, it was just me and my pop for the last time.

That was a good documentary. I didn't know Elwood Francis worked with Vai, I only knew of him from Billy Gibbons. Thanks for sharing the link.

I watched this tonight. I have a connection with Steve Vai in some ways. I saw his 1st show with Alcatraz in Riverside Ca. Didn't expect to see him there but he impressed me big time, playing all of Yngwie's licks in front of a hostile crowd. I also saw him play with David Lee Roth in LA. When Passion and Warfare came out, my father was dying from lung cancer. I bought the tape, and brought it with me when I got the call to fly out. I don't really know any of you people but I will share this. My dad was terminal. I had a day to talk with him, and after that he was doped up on morphine and running out the clock. When the time came and he was passing on, I played For the Love of God on my Sony Walkman. I just now listened to it again. That song will always move me. I wanted to connect that song to my fathers passing. A little weird but that's what I wanted to do at the time, and I'm glad I did it. I was pulling the night shift, it was just me and my pop for the last time.

That was a good documentary. I didn't know Elwood Francis worked with Vai, I only knew of him from Billy Gibbons. Thanks for sharing the link.

Thanks for sharing that! There’s absolutely nothing weird about that at all and I found that quite touching. Sometimes my job throws me some curveballs that causes me to have cynical moments, reading this just pulled me out of one of those moments.

I think Elwood was around for the DLR and Whitesnake days, if I remember right, Vai has a purple Strat that has Elwood written on the headstock that Elwood put together when he was working for him. He might have also had his name written on some of his Marshalls, or I’m confusing things.

Thanks for sharing... Very moving!

For the Love of God is hands-down my all time favorite instrumental guitar tune. It connects with me every time I listen to it.

I also was surprised by the Elwood connection.

Also, I noticed bassist Randy Coven listed as a member of Vai's band at Berklee. I didn't know there was a connection there. I remember Randy from late 80s-90s.

Thanks for sharing that. And how cool was it that you saw his first show with Alcatraz! HOW does one learn music like that in one day?? (According to the documentary.)

I didn't know there was a connection there.
I find it so interesting to learn of all the various connections between musicians that I'll sometimes go to Wikipedia just to see who an artist has worked with. It's almost like you could pick any 2 people, and trace a connection between them, with no more than 4 intermediate people.

Sometimes I'll choose 2 people that I think I can't connect, like say, Simon Le Bon and Jimmy Page. Let's see...
Warren Cuccurullo, Zappa, Vai, Coverdale. Sometimes it surprises me.

Thanks for sharing that. And how cool was it that you saw his first show with Alcatraz! HOW does one learn music like that in one day?? (According to the documentary.)

I think there’s only a small handful of (known) people who could pull something like that off. I mean, the dude was transcribing Zappa music for fun. I can barely listen to Zappa at all, never mind get a kick out of figuring out every single note of every instrument in a Zappa song. :D

Back
Top Bottom