Vai Academy 5.0

I'll be bringing my guitar, cable, strap, picks, headphones and an iDevice. I registered and it said I'd receive an iRig 2... and with that, I can use Amplitube or Bias mobile (which I have). There won't be any external volume tho... I could bring a Katana Air. It's bulky . But I don't otherwise have a portable effect processor (that I can actually dial in on-the-spot) unless I go pick up something like an Amplifire or whatever. We'll see. But my Axe-FX III stays at home.

I booked my flight, I'll be arriving at 7:00 AM (American) at JFK on Monday. Then trying to arrive at JFK by 3:00 PM Friday (I depart at 4:10).

I'm open to carpooling with anyone. @unix-guy asked about it earlier, aslo.

I'm debating whether to bring an effects device of any kind. The info reads like they'll have stuff setup everywhere to play with. Will we be disadvantaged if we don't bring extra effects gear? Maybe I should email them and ask.

I'm debating whether to bring an effects device of any kind. The info reads like they'll have stuff setup everywhere to play with. Will we be disadvantaged if we don't bring extra effects gear? Maybe I should email them and ask.
I honestly never used or saw anyone who wasn't staff using anything that wasn't provided, except in the privacy of my hotel room.

Aside from instruments and cables, the jam rooms are decently equipped. The last Vai Academy there were a fair number of Boss Katana amps, which sounded decent.

@Larry Mitchell will probably run his jams using his Fractal gear, Stig Larson is a Kemper guy, and Doug Doppler (my old teacher) will probably be using a Helix.

Hey Guys. AT the last two camps that I worked at Vai 4.0 last year and this years Satch's G4 Experience they've have Boss Katana Amps everywhere. I haven't heard officially if they will be there again but I strongly believe so. I will have my AX8 there or Axe FX 3 . as for Jamming. In my jam room you with the change over in players just have to be quick. if you have an ax8 with you and want to plug in into the effects loop of one of the amps that works also. Just have your cables labeled and ready. I am not sure how the other jam rooms will go. I am usually the only one plugged into the PA in my jam room and there are no monitors set up, usually just two Powered Speakers on Poles. I try to do a fast change over of jammers in the room with maybe 3 to 4 guitars players at a time along with bass and drums. If you have a complicated setup it slows everything down.

If you end up Jamming with Steve you might only get a minute or two on stage and not time setup anything. If they do have those Katanas then I'd suggest you got to the nearest store that carries them, plug in and figure out how to dial in your tone quickly. take a photo with your phone if you have too. I have watched guys get up there with Steve and spend a minute and a half out of 2 minutes just trying to get a sound. At Vai 4.0 everyone 240 people I believe got a minute or 2 to jam with Steve and the band every night. thats a lot or people they push through. you might want to be ready to trade notes with Steve instead of looking into a foreign amps knob yard the whole time. :)

Alternately, for the jams if you have an AX8 you could make a preset with out amp sims and that like a pedalboard you can se up two drives (XY makes it 4) a delay and whatever else Keeps you motivated. this way what ever room your in you can Put it down on the floor and plug right into the front of whatever amp they have set up.

In your hotel rooms having the cables and adaptor to plug into a little mobile speaker might be a good idea unless you want to travel with a small amp. I just use my little JBL speaker plugged into the AX8 outputs. Works great and very little hotel complaints :)

Hope that helps.

@Admin M@ It would be AWESOME if you could have an Axe Fx 3 set up on the main stage already run into the PA and monitors and just leave it there the whole time. People could plug in for the jams scroll to the preset the want even if you just limit it to one preset with 4 amp channels and a Delay...... Oh and a wah..... Maybe a couple of Drives...... oh and a pitch.... well since your going to do a pitch might as well have a whammy set up... and..... and........ head can I just stick my USB stick in .? :) (Wishful thinking)

I just registered and booked my travel earlier in the week. I've done several meet n' greets with Vai over the years, but never anything this cool. Really looking forward to it and the huge bonus that really pushed me over the edge for this year was M@/Fractal's and Larry's presence. It will be a tremendous privilege to hopefully meet you guys and express my thanks. I also look forward to hopefully getting the opportunity to interact/jam with this forum's attendees. I don't post here often myself, but have been an avid Fractal customer for the last decade and have greatly appreciated your posts/insights and humor over the years!

On a side note, you guys may already be aware of this, but the Metropolitan Museum of Art is running this exhibit through October 1st - https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2019/play-it-loud. Among over 100 of rock's most iconic instruments and costumes, what I'm most looking forward to is Van Halen's original Frankenstein guitar and full 1978 Rig exhibit: http://www.vhnd.com/2019/04/01/eddi...rig-and-original-frankenstein-guitar-exhibit/.

My wife and I are staying in the Central Park area the weekend before to hang out and attend this exhibit. Could be a great 'appetizer' or 'dessert' to the VaiAcademy 'meal' if you can squeeze it into your travel plans.

Safe travels,
Brien

P.S. Please don't hold it against me if I bring a Helix for travel! :) It is more compact and less risky than my full AxeIII/FC-12 rig. I'd bring my FM3 if I were to happen to have one by then!

Should not be hard to dial a solo tone with Katanas, select brown channel mode, crank up gain and volume, off you go.

PS: there's even a user patch for Katanas called Vai-something-something with is pretty much brown channel mode, gain and some delay.

Not our first rodeo with these events. My wife & I are arriving the night before and staying at the Mansion. (I got my AF3 after the Petrucci camp last summer.) We wanted to arrive a day before this time, avoid some travel-related tiredness that first night. Maybe see some friends from prior camps the night before.

The Katanas work great. I have a 100/212. Easy to dial in quickly using the main panel. If you wanna really get fancy, install the Katana software on a tablet and you can upload your own tone in a few seconds.

Bring your most familiar guitar to Vai 5.0... a good attitude and TRUST ME... you'll leave with a smile that will last a long time.

I got a Katana Air... very easy to dial up. When I walk into the guitar stores and jam the Katana 100's I already know how to dial in the right tones.

Hey guys, slightly off topic, but : I'll come to NY as from the 21 July for some holidays, with my sister and her BF. Any suggestion for a nice place to stay, not too expensive, and from where going to Manhattan is easy ? Of course being in Manhattan would be great but probably out of our budget so we're thinking about Brooklyn. Suggestions ? Hotels or Air bnb close to a subway station would be ideal for us. Thanks and my apologies for the OT!
I would be willing to meet fellow Fractal users of course

Has there been any official announcements or emails regarding this event? I haven't heard a peep and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important to spam folders.

No. I haven't seen any. I searched my emails and there was nothing except an "updated information" email the day we arrived for JPGU 2.0 last year.

Back
Top Bottom