Vai Academy 5.0

Trying to convince the wife. At least I'm not buying another guitar lol
It is pricey especially in Canadian dollars but like Mark said maybe a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'm booked!

Really looking forward to meeting some of you guys face to face. :)

I need to figure out transportation to/from JFK. Not sure if I really want to rent a car just to let it sit for most of 4 days.

So if any of you guys are coming in to JFK on the 29th, I'm up for sharing a ride. I'll be there sometime around 7am.

For anyone still on the fence, it looks like there are only a handful of available spots, so don't wait.

:D

I don't know at what time I'll arrive yet, maybe on the same day, maybe a few days before... will let you know !

I'm about to pull the trigger. Likely arriving JFK around noon from Los Angeles. Just bought a guitar yesterday for the sole purpose of jamming with it there from Sam Ash no less. I did not expect this, but it's already my favorite guitar (of the 20 or so I own) and now I'm nervous to take it, LOL. Never traveled with a guitar before.

Sooooooooo looking forward to this week.

[Edit] I pulled the trigger. Only 6 spots left as I write this.

Last edited:
I'm about to pull the trigger. Likely arriving JFK around noon from Los Angeles. Just bought a guitar yesterday for the sole purpose of jamming with it there from Sam Ash no less. I did not expect this, but it's already my favorite guitar (of the 20 or so I own) and now I'm nervous to take it, LOL. Never traveled with a guitar before.

It might be worth getting a travel case - both Gator and SKB make some good cases with TSA approved latches.

[Edit] I pulled the trigger. Only 6 spots left as I write this.
How are you getting from JFK to the mansion?

Maybe we can share a ride?

I think there were only 7 spots left when I registered.

I haven't booked flights yet, but from looking the most likely flight I'll take gets me to JFK at 7am-ish as well. Then leaving in the evening on Friday.

Just registered today. There were only 4 spots left when I called, but now it says there are 7 again? Anyway, it seems like we're almost to the end there...

My return flight on Friday is about 5pm.

@unix-guy I haven't booked my flights yet, but that's about when I'm hoping to leave as well. Perhaps a little earlier. I'm planning to arrive a day early though. When I talked with Dreamcatcher today they said there might be a D'Addario factory tour Monday morning for anyone who happens to be there early. He also mentioned getting first pick of the gear on sale...

I really want to but I don't really want to fly across the country with a guitar...
This is kind of where I'm at too. I'm going, and I want my guitar that I know inside and out with me, but I've never flown with a guitar before so that makes me a little nervous.

I was thinking the same initially. The thing is though, this is such an over-the-top thing for me - definitely one of the coolest music things I've done in a long time. I'd hate to not have my main guitar with me for this.

... bring my Axe Fx, a Xitone wedge and a couple guitars.

This brings up another good point. When I talked with Dreamcatcher today they initially said to just bring a guitar (and cable!!). As he thought about it more though, he said given the theme here is sounds & effects it may make sense to bring processors / pedalboards / etc. so that we can apply the discussion, have 1-on-1s working with our gear, etc. I definitely don't want to fly with my Axe-Fx rig. Not crazy about bringing a pedalboard either. Initially I was just planning to pick up a used HX stomp, but is that really what I want to be sitting with at a world-class tone convention? :confused:

What is everyone else bringing apart from a guitar?

Any chance @Admin M@ can arrange a few FM3s for rent? Call it a field beta test! Or perhaps a couple of community Axe-Fx we could load patches on to jam? :p
(this is a joke - it would be a ridiculous expectation)

@unix-guy I haven't booked my flights yet, but that's about when I'm hoping to leave as well. Perhaps a little earlier. I'm planning to arrive a day early though. When I talked with Dreamcatcher today they said there might be a D'Addario factory tour Monday morning for anyone who happens to be there early. He also mentioned getting first pick of the gear on sale...
Good to know. Thanks for sharing that.

Was it Danny you talked to?

I was thinking the same initially. The thing is though, this is such an over-the-top thing for me - definitely one of the coolest music things I've done in a long time. I'd hate to not have my main guitar with me for this.
I asked in email if they could connect me with a rep from Sam Ash so I could work out a purchase in advance, but haven't heard back yet.

Optionally, I might purchase a quality ATA approved case and take a chance...
What is everyone else bringing apart from a guitar?
Guitar, cable, strap... Clothes and money. Oh, and my sunny disposition ;)
Any chance @Admin M@ can arrange a few FM3s for rent? Call it a field beta test! Or perhaps a couple of community Axe-Fx we could load patches on to jam? :p
(this is a joke - it would be a ridiculous expectation)
I was actually thinking the same thing today.

Matt - any way you could do something like that?

Danny's comment about possibly wanting your effects gear doesn't sway you? I was hoping that wouldn't be necessary - makes things much more complicated.
Not really.

Based on past experience, I would not expect much useful would come out of it unless you happen to get some face time directly with Matt (or maybe a couple other guys).

The "classes/workshops" don't typically require or encourage even bringing a guitar. I can't imagine large numbers of people trying to bring and setup their Axe Fx or AX8, etc.

Besides the jams, I brought my guitar to exactly 1 class between G4 and Vai, and that was a smallish group led by Mike Kenneally specifically focused on some playing exercises.

Not really.

Based on past experience, I would not expect much useful would come out of it unless you happen to get some face time directly with Matt (or maybe a couple other guys).

The "classes/workshops" don't typically require or encourage even bringing a guitar. I can't imagine large numbers of people trying to bring and setup their Axe Fx or AX8, etc.

Besides the jams, I brought my guitar to exactly 1 class between G4 and Vai, and that was a smallish group led by Mike Kenneally specifically focused on some playing exercises.
Hmm maybe I won't need to bring of buy a guitar then ? if it's only for the jams, maybe I can borrow one - I love to jam though so I hope that would be possible

Not really.

Well if that's the case... If I'm writing, being creative, working on sounds, etc. I'll use a guitar most of the time. If I'm going to a jam session though I'll bring a bass every time. I'm a better bassist than guitarist relatively speaking, and there are always plenty of guys with guitars. Perhaps I should go that route...

Last edited:
Well if that's the case... If I'm writing, being creative, working on sounds, etc. I'll use a guitar most of the time. If I'm going to a jam session though I'll bring a bass every time. I'm a better bassist than guitarist relatively speaking, and there are always plenty of guys with guitars. Perhaps I should go that route...
The jams typically include a drum set and bass setup... But filling those roles is nice!

Back
Top Bottom