Vacay in The Sunshine State

Yep. I grew up in Northwest Florida. The beaches were nice, but a disproportionate percentage of the people were awful.

When talking to people who have known me for a while (IE-they know I'm not a cocky individual) I generally speak of Palm Bay- "The whole time I was there I felt like I was the smartest person in the entire city. 15 years later and being a little less cocksure than I was then, I still think I was the smartest person in that city." (Which really, isn't giving Palm Bay a lot of credit at ALL)

I felt like I was going back in time about 15-20 years, socially. It was very odd trying to assimilate and go to work. I was working at a Chili's at the time and I can roll with any conversation from any walk of life after working with the general public for so long, but it was really different up there. I've experienced it in really small towns in Maine as well. Where it just feels like time moved on everywhere else but those cities/towns.

Reactions: ESW
When talking to people who have known me for a while (IE-they know I'm not a cocky individual) I generally speak of Palm Bay- "The whole time I was there I felt like I was the smartest person in the entire city. 15 years later and being a little less cocksure than I was then, I still think I was the smartest person in that city." (Which really, isn't giving Palm Bay a lot of credit at ALL)

I felt like I was going back in time about 15-20 years, socially. It was very odd trying to assimilate and go to work. I was working at a Chili's at the time and I can roll with any conversation from any walk of life after working with the general public for so long, but it was really different up there. I've experienced it in really small towns in Maine as well. Where it just feels like time moved on everywhere else but those cities/towns.

The funny thing about Florida is that you're saying "up there", yet that's still an 8 hour drive southeast from my part of the state.

The funny thing about Florida is that you're saying "up there", yet that's still an 8 hour drive southeast from my part of the state.

Once a year, when we drive to Boston for our summer trips, I'm reminded of how long it takes to get out of here. Just glad I don't live in the Keys. It's crazy to me that even where I'm at, I'm still another 3-4 hours North of the Keys and it's still considered South Florida.

After two years here in Miami I am ready to move...luckily we are headed back to Oahu so no wardrobe changes needed.

Miami really is the capital of Latin America - has felt like a deployment overseas for us, and the pandemic didn't help. I will miss the food and a few good bandmates I had, but for the most part this city can sink into the ocean for all I care. :)

Once a year, when we drive to Boston for our summer trips, I'm reminded of how long it takes to get out of here. Just glad I don't live in the Keys. It's crazy to me that even where I'm at, I'm still another 3-4 hours North of the Keys and it's still considered South Florida.
That is a heck of a drive. I've only done it once (to move up here to MA), but even that was shorter than what you're doing.

Last edited:
Ha ha I used to play a lot in Palm Bay 25 years ago. It was like walking into a time warp, seemed like everyone was retarded by 10-15 years. Met some real interesting characters in those parts.

It took me several seconds to read the backwards writing on you hat...and it doesn't help it's all in psychedelic text blobs heh.

Cool...I'd love to see Nick Mason and The Saucerful of Secrets show....that early Floyd is quirky and weird...would be a lot of fun to see.

Enjoy the holiday...:cool:

It took me several seconds to read the backwards writing on you hat...and it doesn't help it's all in psychedelic text blobs heh.

Cool...I'd love to see Nick Mason and The Saucerful of Secrets show....that early Floyd is quirky and weird...would be a lot of fun to see.

Enjoy the holiday...:cool:
Yeah, I guess I shoulda flipped the photo. I so rarely use the selfie cam I end up scowling in all my selfies trying to find the right button....

lived in ny most of my life....but my career took me thru:
tn, tx,in,al.....so had a lot of experience with southerners...and i love them...
i’m building a house in lake county fl, same latitude as this area and to me it’s the best part of fl...enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom