V6: Presets don't sound great == FRFR Monitors aren't great?

I was GM of a music store and had access to all kinds of gear good and bad. Even with all "bad" gear I could get a useable sound and tone.

I think it really comes down to your definition of "sounds good" and your knowledge of how to get there and realistic expectations of your particular gear. If a speaker itself doesn't have sparkling highs and tight lows, then your guitar tone won't be presented that way, but maybe the axe IS outputting that great tone but the speakers just can't reproduce it.

Regardless, use what you have to shape the tone so it's appropriate for your gear limitations and performance situation. Cut the frequencies that don't sound good.

Hmm I just thought, maybe that's why I am successful with FRFR... I think like a sound operator more than a guitarist. With guitar amps, more is more - boost all the EQ on the amp to drive it harder and get good gain and tone. Running sound, less is more - you usually want to cut offending frequencies and take energy away from the speakers instead of adding. After you cut, turn the volume up to taste and everything will be more balanced.

The biggest thing I'm probably fighting is that I'm back to playing something that isn't like playing a guitar amp again. And before someone says "that's what the audience hears, get over it", no it isn't. Ideally, the audience hears a guitarist who is playing, enjoying and connecting with his instrument and amp. When you strip away the enjoyment of connecting with the amp, what the audience hears isn't the same.
Well yes an no. It depends IMHO. There is NO substitute for a guitar amp when going FRFR. It will NOT sound the same as a cranked amp on stage. It WILL sound like that amp mic'ed tho'. That's the big adjustment. My bands have seldom played backline amps... mostly our amps have been for stage monitoring with direct outs to FOH (usually our own). For yrs, my amp has been set up on side of stage, off the floor or tilted up toward me, pointing ACROSS the stage. The audience doesn't hear it. The band does. The audience hears the PA. That's what it is for! Setting up like this - and now FRFR with the Axe - gives FULL control of FOH sound to the guy (our guy) out front. Adjusting to gigging like that takes time, but it keeps stage volumes lower. All you need to make sure you FOH presets sound good.

The crazy thing is that I've played shows where I really enjoyed what was coming out of the monitors. The soundman didn't spend a ton of time setting up the mic. Sadly, I don't have access to those folks at this time and there were of course other times where I didn't like what was coming out of the monitors but had to deal with it to do a show. Those of you that have done live shows have likely been there.
Been there done that. Takes a little getting used to, but FM takes over at some point and your ears adjust.

So basically this boils down to you not feeling like your particular issue has been solved and mine isn't perhaps as well articulated as yours and as such does not deserve attention or comments that could better be spent on helping you.

Is that about the size of it?.

Yes mate, it's your complete lack of effort that offended me. This whole bloody site is dedicated to getting a good sound out of an Axe and nothing that has been offered to you as advice has not been said a thousand times before.

For the rest of you who think I am being harsh or negative, remember "You deserve what you tolerate".

Yes mate, it's your complete lack of effort that offended me. This whole bloody site is dedicated to getting a good sound out of an Axe and nothing that has been offered to you as advice has not been said a thousand times before.

For the rest of you who think I am being harsh or negative, remember "You deserve what you tolerate".

If this forum deserves what they tolerate, it's time you do us all a favor and stop offering your version of "help", which is what support forums are for, after all. A friendly place where fellow users can help each other get the most out of a product they love. Even if the question has been asked before. Even for new users. Why do you even bother to post? Feel entitled much?

Back
Top Bottom