V6 firmware: Time to Release the Monster - Speaker Resonance Page

Ok I'm back home and tried a brand new patch with recto orange and a cab setting like you advocated. I ended up using the 4x12 uber T75+V30 and am starting at 75 (yes I'll go up afterwards ^^ ) since well its a speaker mix. I'm using...the same cab with your FF settings and the result is surprisingly....good.
Still not exacty where I'd wanted but I'm feeling like I'm on the right track.

Same lame ass riff everybody uses and in the wrong tuning but here's where I am now:

MP3 Player SoundClick
(ESP viper EMG 81, E standard)
I did have to hammer the bass down in the amp EQ though even if the bass knob is at 0 in true mesa fashion

Made that in...3 minutes. guess you sped up patch making a lot. :D I'll post some more "finished" take when I have fiddled more with this.

Thank you Scott for this and all the great tips. My College band from the 80's is having a 21 year reunion jam this weekend, and I programmed some various patches, using my Roland FC-200 in CC mode. I look forward to tweaking your starting points on this thread through a Verve 12ma, finally at drummer volume!

Cheers!
Rick

Great guys!

I'll be out of pocket for the next week far from civilization isolated and separate from all things electric guitar wise... but have some great gigs and killer tones!!

I'll try to check in via smart phone (when in range of a tower for data access) and answer anything I can; but don't feel like I'm ignoring you if I don't reply... :D

Anyone have a line on the resonant frequency of the Fane Purplebacks in the 4x12 HI-POWER (RW) factory cab IR?

I searched around some and found this :

To be honest, the new Hiwatt cabs don't sound as good to my ears as the older ones.
Heck, I have a Marshall cab with Celestion G12K-100's loaded in it that sounds better to my ear than the new Hiwatt cabs.
Specs you wanna pay attention to, to get that vintage tone. Get as close as you can to:

Freq. Response: 50Hz - 6kHz
Sensitivity (1W/1m): 103db SPL
Resonant Freq.: 60Hz

It's taken from from this thread: The vintage Hiwatt cabinet sound - GeekChat!

So if this is somewhat correct you can try 70Hz (60Hz+10)

Per

A big THANK YOU! to Scott and Jay for the Speaker Tab tweaks.

I use them now on almost all the amps, and to my ears it sounds great.
Especially my live rig (VHT 2502--Rivera 2x12 w/EVM12L's) is so much easier to dial in and enjoy the sound from now.

I rebiased the VHT (36 mA - JJ KT77 tubes), applied the Speaker Tab tweaks and ....WOW!!
Less spikey, tighter low end, smoother yet articulate.
Excellent :)

Per

PerChr said:
I searched around some and found this :

To be honest, the new Hiwatt cabs don't sound as good to my ears as the older ones.
Heck, I have a Marshall cab with Celestion G12K-100's loaded in it that sounds better to my ear than the new Hiwatt cabs.
Specs you wanna pay attention to, to get that vintage tone. Get as close as you can to:

Freq. Response: 50Hz - 6kHz
Sensitivity (1W/1m): 103db SPL
Resonant Freq.: 60Hz

It's taken from from this thread: The vintage Hiwatt cabinet sound - GeekChat!

So if this is somewhat correct you can try 70Hz (60Hz+10)

Per

Nice find! Thank you!

Hey Scott,

Just wondered if you had carried these settings over to v7 firmware?

Cheers

Spence

I can't speak for Scott, but I'm still doing this in v7. It still sounds really excellent. More so with some of the AMP block changes that are in v7 now. It has, IME and IMO, the most notable impact when I'm playing at stage volumes. It's less apparent in headphones.

Oh hell yes I am still doing it. ;)

...and it is GOOD.

:D

In all seriousness, it just let's the mid's breath, IMHO, a bit more naturally at volume. IMHO, it "unhypes" the low and high end and the pick attack and string 'ring' with V7 is bad-ass. You can feel the pick on the strings and the transients you feel are immediate and direct. It's a 'more in touch' thing. Critics of the Fractal platform and MO will continue to scoff, "...if it was so good... how can it keep getting better?" and I just laugh because I have no freaking clue. It just does. Every time I doubt he can really surpass himself... he does it again and again. V7 is tasty fun. My Speaker Resonance thing works perfectly with it, just fun stuff. Everything feels so alive.

I've always got into the Speaker Resonance Page on every preset/Amp. It makes my Tone huge and opens things up.

I think these reference numbers are great starting points and its good to point people in this direction Using your Ears is always the best bet > IMHO

Rather than look at all 15 pages in this thread, is there a short cut t a A/B sample of this?

I've purposely and deliberately not done that. I am not out to prove anything; I am out to give folks an initial way to approach this and use their ear to fine tune. The starting points detailed in the first post are a good starting point for getting into this.

It's the way to make the amp/cab your own idealized custom 'tone in your head' and not a pop-tart out of a toaster. ;) :D

Oh hell yes I am still doing it. ;)

...and it is GOOD.

:D

In all seriousness, it just let's the mid's breath, IMHO, a bit more naturally at volume. IMHO, it "unhypes" the low and high end and the pick attack and string 'ring' with V7 is bad-ass. You can feel the pick on the strings and the transients you feel are immediate and direct. It's a 'more in touch' thing. Critics of the Fractal platform and MO will continue to scoff, "...if it was so good... how can it keep getting better?" and I just laugh because I have no freaking clue. It just does. Every time I doubt he can really surpass himself... he does it again and again. V7 is tasty fun. My Speaker Resonance thing works perfectly with it, just fun stuff. Everything feels so alive.

That's great to hear. I'm patiently refreshing the browser from now until 7 appears lol. Not really, but kinda... Sorts. Ok, yes I am lol

My 80's Cover band reunion was a big hit! Its been 22 years, not 21 since we last played together, and some of the songs were so tight, people thought we had been practicing for weeks. We kept on getting compliments on the PA, but I knew it was because I had complete control of how much of my tone was going to the PA, & how much to my Verve 12ma, and I kept thinking to myself, "Without the AXE-FX II, there is no way I could get this tone without massive quantities of gear; amps, cabs, mic's, extra mixer, full pedalboard." Even with all that stuff, it could never be as quiet, and I wouldn't have as much control.

We realized that we never actually broke up, we just took a 22 year Hiatus.

Cheers!
Rick

Interesting settings, thanks for sharing.
I play via an amp-cab usually, but yesterday I recorded and these settings really help to get smooth and thick sound with the standard IRs.

But, somehow at the end of the cab IR's list I found the 4x12 30W (Ultra) IR. And it sounds so good with the JVM amp sim I use so I ended up just using it. Wondering why it makes sound so good as an opposite to other IRs which almost all sound brittle and boring for ears.

Back
Top Bottom