V6 Fender sims won't clean up

notalemming

Fractal Fanatic
I haven't had much luck with the v6 Fender sims. I have some really nice clean settings using the double verb, both bassguys & deluxe but now I can't seem to get them to clean up. I've tried re-setting the amp & dropping the drive to next to nothing & it still won't totally clean up. Any ideas? Thanks!

These are my presets I am talking about, not the factory ones. Basic tone wise, they sound more Fender, just can't completely get rid of high end distortion. I haven't installed any of the factory presets because I have many presets I have written in bank 1 & don't want to overwrite them.

These are my presets I am talking about, not the factory ones. Basic tone wise, they sound more Fender, just can't completely get rid of high end distortion. I haven't installed any of the factory presets because I have many presets I have written in bank 1 & don't want to overwrite them.

You don't actually have to install the factory banks in the identical bank on your Axe. I installed factory Bank A into B on mine to audition the presets, and will do the same with the other factory banks. After I delete the ones I don't need, I reload the remainder into Banks B & C and keep Bank A on the Axe for my own and other user presets.

Danny W.

You don't actually have to install the factory banks in the identical bank on your Axe. I installed factory Bank A into B on mine to audition the presets, and will do the same with the other factory banks. After I delete the ones I don't need, I reload the remainder into Banks B & C and keep Bank A on the Axe for my own and other user presets.

Danny W.

How do you do that without Axe Edit which won't run on my Mac?

Set the Master to 9. Keep Drive at 3 or less. Use Level to compensate.

Set the Master to 9. Keep Drive at 3 or less. Use Level to compensate.

My MV is at 9, drive below 2 & it still distorts on the high end if you strum firmly at all. This drive setting is way less than what I had on V5 all the way back to V1. It used to stay nice & clean, not anymore. This makes no sense, especially with the dual verb. Heck, I used to play bass through one on small gigs & it stayed clean!

The new presets sounded way funky on mine until i did a system reset. The fenders were all distorted. As a last resort i would recommend that.

I too noticed my fander patches (2 of them) are much more distorted. I did have master at 10, with drive around 5. I lowered the drive to under 1 and its still distorting. I had to go to work so havent done anything yet - but have intended to lower master to 9 and lower the trim (never used that on anything but default).

It's just the way the tapers on these amps are. As soon as they are up to 2-3 on the drive there is a lot of gain. They are matched in 6.0 and this is the way the real amps behave. But a real Fender non-Master volume amp set at 2 would still be damn loud so you probably didn't even realize there was some break up going on.

Don't be afraid to use drive settings below 2. They still clean up quite nicely you just need to use lower settings.

I too noticed my fander patches (2 of them) are much more distorted. I did have master at 10, with drive around 5. I lowered the drive to under 1 and its still distorting. I had to go to work so havent done anything yet - but have intended to lower master to 9 and lower the trim (never used that on anything but default).

Yeah, lower the master to 9. I have mine a little lower than 9 to get a little more headroom between clean a distorted on the Fenders.

It's just the way the tapers on these amps are.

This is one of those things where I question the necessity of modelling bad behavior from the real amps. If the real amp had crappy controls, I don't yet understand why I would want to preserve that behavior.

This is one of those things where I question the necessity of modelling bad behavior from the real amps. If the real amp had crappy controls, I don't yet understand why I would want to preserve that behavior.

It's just being more accurate. For guys that know the actual amps, it's easier to understand and dial quickly. For guys that do not know the amps, it's a chance to learn how to dial that sort of amps. All amps are not the same. When the first Axe-FX Standards were shipping in 2007 and before there was passive tone stacks, folks went crazy trying to grasp how to dial up accurate tones from a given amp type. I was there... it was confusing for a long time until passive tone stacks were introduced. Even then, the range of the controls allowed for far more +/- than the given analog counterpart and confounded folks over the years to a great degree. Witness all the "this doesn't sound right" threads over the years. With correct values and tapers, you'll see less and less of that moving forward on the II.

I think my personal Twin setting is 2.25 with the MV at 9.00. Especially with humbuckers. Just like a real Twin. If you take a real Twin up over 3.5 on the volume.... you are going to be in a world of hurt.... it's too loud!

Back
Top Bottom