v12.04 For Guitar Cabinet Users

Chris Hurley

Power User
As someone who has tried FRFR over and over (including the CLR), I still prefer a power amp and guitar cabinets for pure playing enjoyment. I've always wished that there was a way for FRFR to simply sound like a guitar amp but it simply doesn't work that way.

With that said, I'm intrigued by the feedback regarding the improvements in "3d ness" of 12.04. I wonder if this is primarily coming from FRFR usage or if it also translates for guitar cabinet users?

Perhaps this brings some magic for solid state power amp and guitar cab users too?

I'have to say i get less feedback with 12.04b...
I use amp and Guitar cab in out 2 and frfr in out1

As someone who has tried FRFR over and over (including the CLR), I still prefer a power amp and guitar cabinets for pure playing enjoyment. I've always wished that there was a way for FRFR to simply sound like a guitar amp but it simply doesn't work that way.

With that said, I'm intrigued by the feedback regarding the improvements in "3d ness" of 12.04. I wonder if this is primarily coming from FRFR usage or if it also translates for guitar cabinet users?

Perhaps this brings some magic for solid state power amp and guitar cab users too?

Do you have a good tube amp with an FX loop?

Its definitely working for me with my Bryston 3B NRB and Mesa 4X12. I was just jamming with a drumming buddy after dialing things in, and it was pure magic.

I have never in my life had tone this good with all of the capabilities combined. IMO the only thing left to desire is comparable FRFR. My guitar rig is as good as I could ever hope for a rig to be. I just play for hours now and forget to tweak or even mess with the sound. I just see what my hands can do with it.

Just where I've wanted to be since I bought this unit minus my FRFR disappointments.

PS: also tried a CLR pair. Looking forward to Ultrares...I still need to IR's for recording.

This is a great subject...

I find myself is a blackholw reading reviews and tweaks because no one ever say's if they are FRFR or GC. I have to read their signature to figure out what their set up is.

joe...

I am very happy with both FRFR and Guitar cab +amp. I use the cab and amp live, and it kills. But at home, I just play through studio monitors, and it is just so good.

I'have to say i get less feedback with 12.04b...
I use amp and Guitar cab in out 2 and frfr in out1

I use a matrix amp into a custom built cabinet and i got less of the nice feedback on 12.04 Maybe just need to raise the gain.

I'm running my axe into the matrix 800 then stereo into my marshall 4x12 with vintage 30's and i'm loving it. 12.04 really opened up the sounds in the axe so its just like running an amp+combo.

It took me probably all of 20 mins to tweak a patch, so I could run it through my cab.

I haven't noticed a difference tone-wise. I use can through out 2 and Foh through out 1. This is 10 gigs already under the new beta firmware.

The option for tube choices make great tonal options though.

I'm using FRFR at home, with an IR of my own 4x12, and at band rehearsals I use Matrix and my 4x12. At gigs I use both. Matrix & 4x12 for me, and also a trickle of FRFR through the desk / PA. All in stereo. Sounds great. Nowadays I can't tell much difference between the real cab and the FRFR version. It changes all the time but at the moment I prefer the FRFR, but it does sound polite and tends to require a bit of EQ to make it sound lively enough. The real cab still cuts through a bit better.

Axe fx 2 power amps off into vht 2150 into guitar cabinet.

Love the new texture, rolled back highs, and the preamp sag. All major improvements.

Back
Top Bottom