V10 vs other modelers

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
I have a pair of active CLR wedges and hadn't really tried anything else thru them except the II. This evening I plugged up a few other processors I have ( most everything except a kemper) to see how they sounded, and it was not so good. I keep going back to the Axe with v10 to compare and everything else sounds so nasally and digital. I know many with a kemper will argue, but I hear the same thing in most of the kemper recordings I've heard at a lesser level.?
Anyways V10 kicks serious ass and it makes it really hard to pick up a more portable device to play out with, which I sometimes do. I'm going to make my Axe rig more portable.

Wouldn't it be great if Fractal came out with an all-in-one floorboard design? Wouldn't have to have all the bells and whistles as the axe 2 just the basics. Fender, Vox, Marshall, Mesa sims with a few cabs and the usual fx, built in expression pedal. Or how bout an iPad app we could use with the mfc? I have some more ideas too...

Wouldn't it be great if Fractal came out with an all-in-one floorboard design? Wouldn't have to have all the bells and whistles as the axe 2 just the basics. Fender, Vox, Marshall, Mesa sims with a few cabs and the usual fx, built in expression pedal. Or how bout an iPad app we could use with the mfc? I have some more ideas too...

Now, if you only wrote code !! ;-)

I have a pair of active CLR wedges and hadn't really tried anything else thru them except the II. This evening I plugged up a few other processors I have ( most everything except a kemper) to see how they sounded, and it was not so good. I keep going back to the Axe with v10 to compare and everything else sounds so nasally and digital. I know many with a kemper will argue, but I hear the same thing in most of the kemper recordings I've heard at a lesser level.?

I have a Kemper and an Axe fw10 ;) Just out of curiosity, listen to the clips below. Which is which, and which do you prefer? A and B is a Marshall type of sound, c and d is a Dumble (or in the ballpark). One is the KPA, the other is the Axe. (Soundcloud kills much of the info in the sound, so let's agree that it's completely ok to miss ;))

Last edited:
I have a Kemper and an Axe fw10 ;) Just out of curiosity, listen to the clips below. Which is which, and which do you prefer? A and B is a Marshall type of sound, B and C is a Dumble (or in the ballpark). One is the KPA, the other is the Axe. (Soundcloud kills much of the info in the sound, so let's agree that it's completely ok to miss ;))

I'm going to assume that because there are four parts (2 dirtier, 2 cleaner) that you meant to label each section A,B,C,D in which case I'm going to say;

A is Axe v10
B is Kemper
C is Kemper
D is Axe.

I like B better than A and I like D better than C.

OK, I'll bite:

A & C remind me of how the KPA sounded (had one for a little while). So, let's say these are Kemper.
B & D are AxeFX. More clear and dynamic.

A and B sound the same,just sounds like you changed the eq a little...maybe just bc Im trying to listen on macbook speakers though lol

A and B sound the same,just sounds like you changed the eq a little...maybe just bc Im trying to listen on macbook speakers though lol

Probably; thru proper monitors you'll hear differences other than just eq. A and B are not the same, but Soundcloud and pc speakers mess with the sound.

In the end it's all a matter of tweaking. You CAN make the axe sound like a piece of garbage (though it's hard), as well as a real tube amp standing in front of you.

I think that comparing different modellers is like comparing guitars. Sure they can have an unique voice (Gibson vs. Fender) but their sound is determined by the skill and experience of the player who holds it.

If i would have to compare the kemper to the Axe Fx II then i would say that the kemper sounds are like coloring book pages of their amp counterparts where you can color it to your liking. The axe however would be a blank canvas where you are allowed to paint whatever your mind desires. But then re-stating the above = The end result depends on your own experementing and learning of the device.

With the marshallsounds I hope the first is axe 2. It seemed nicer.
Also the dumbles I liked the first part most.
Am I right ? :)

I have a Kemper and an Axe fw10 ;) Just out of curiosity, listen to the clips below. Which is which, and which do you prefer? A and B is a Marshall type of sound, c and d is a Dumble (or in the ballpark). One is the KPA, the other is the Axe. (Soundcloud kills much of the info in the sound, so let's agree that it's completely ok to miss ;))

I liked recordings A and C. I'm curious about how the Axe and Kemper were set up.

With the marshallsounds I hope the first is axe 2. It seemed nicer.
Also the dumbles I liked the first part most.
Am I right ? :)

Tjänare, söta bror! Yes, you're right, Thomas. A & C is the Axe, B & D the KPA. A = Brit Brown with a 4x12 Basketweave G12H30 & SM57, the RW stock one; C = Dumble Clean with the same speakers. B = a Plexi 67 with a boost in front, Marshall 1960 cabinet with an SM57; D = Clean channel (with a boost) of a Two Rock Gainmaster, Marshall 1960 cabinet, SM57. No additional tweaking done to the KPA profiles.

Listening to a Soundcloud file thru pc speakers, I agree with Thomas in that the Axe sounds nicer. This was somewhat surprising to me. Playing the clips uncompressed through my studio monitors, there were things I really liked with both rigs.

They sound like completely different IRs, so not apples to apples.
Not sure what you mean, as long a the point is comparing two different devices...? We all agree that there are other settings, amps, profiles etc. and that we all probably would tweak to our own liking.

Btw, the Axe Brit Brown patch is a patch I use live, and is tuned for and works well in live settings, imo. I'm curious as to how the KPA works live, though.

If I had to pick, Id go A and C as well.

For the marshals it was more difficult. I preferred A for the chordal work but B for the single note runs. For the Dumbles D just sounded too harsh for me - much preferred C.

That said - a bit of EQ change and you could bring the two closer - and any of them would work in a track.

** didnt read the complete thread - so didnt realise the results had already been revealed.

If I had to pick, Id go A and C as well.

For the marshals it was more difficult. I preferred A for the chordal work but B for the single note runs. For the Dumbles D just sounded too harsh for me - much preferred C.

Ok, interesting. I just realized that I saved the clip to mp3 before uploading to Soundcloud, which I guess is double-strangling the sound. When playing and listening to C and D thru proper monitors the KPA profile actually sounds sweet, warm and chewy, not like the Soundcloud rendition. The sound from the KPA seems to suffer more than the Axe in this instance.

** didnt read the complete thread - so didnt realise the results had already been revealed.

I hate comparison threads that last for days until the result is revealed ;)

Back
Top Bottom