v10 - Heavy Drop A - Lace X Bar Review and Test

Fun111

Inspired
Scroll to the bottom for the clip!

IMG_6836_zps485fc017.jpg

So today I received the next installation of my big pickup test (which I haven't started yet), so just thought I'd post my first impressions and clear a few things up. I was really looking forward to trying these out because I have the Aluma-90's in another guitar and those are a little unusual, I can understand why some people don't have the patience for them despite me liking them a lot. They have a slightly out-of-the-ordinary feel and a very unique - though potentially very adaptable, usable - sound. People told me the X-Bar was similar but in humbucker form, everyone refers to them being very Hi-Fi and 'wet' sounding with a very high high end.

I installed them not really knowing what to expect to be honest but was really looking forward to something a little different. I have to say I was really blown away by them, almost instantly. Having gone from the Aftermaths to the D-Activators and seeing the subtle changes there - a little more attack, a little more mid range - then from the D-Activator to the Ionizer, with a little less power and attack and a lot more low end body but a very similar overal sound in the mix, and a subtle change in feel. The X-Bars are the first pickups I've put in an 8 string that have taken away that slightly heavy-handedness that 8 strings can have, and that slightly hollow sound a lot of the pickups produce. I think a lot of pickup manufacturers try to put a lot of low end into 8 string pickups with some belief that lower range means you want more bass and that to me normally adds up to a slightly laboured pick attack and a wobbly low end that can be tightened up using boosts but always gives the sound a sort of *plonk* to the pick.

The X-Bars by comparison felt very fresh and very lively. They're much lower output that my DA8's and even notably quieter than the Ionizers. The low end is very clean and precise and not overbearing, the mids are very natural and present and again not spiky or overbearing, the high end is the unique thing about these pickups and much to my surprise it isn't really scratchy or single coil like as some have pointed out. If I plug it straight into a really boosted sound then it does start to shine through a little bit but it doesn't sound shrill or at all like a single coil, it just adds a LOT of detail to your fretting and picking hands, you hear every move either hand makes. Actually, not using a lot of compression and letting the front end low-pass the signal a little as many amps (and Axe FX 2 amp models :lol:) takes the edge off and produces, as I say, a very lively, really fresh, clear sound.

Clarity in fact is a really importanrt point. From cleans to high gain patches the detial and clarity and balance on every note is outstanding. People have told me they love BKP for the clarity but I didn't feel that from them, I think I know the effect people are referring to but by comparison the X-Bars eat them up for sheer definition.

I've achieved some of my best tight high gain sounds, literally best, I've never gotten tones like this before, the 8th is so deep and powerful, leads sing, cleans are just amazing.

I'm gunna get some of my respectable friends to try them out for some corroboration and to make sure I'm not being mental, but I honestly can't fault these things at all. These are just what I wanted and are a clear (haha...) winner for me so far. When I do my epic pickup demos I'll let you guys be the judge, but these things deserve more credit, I've never had a pickup so versatile; genuinely versatile, no half measures, great cleans, mouthwatering tight high gain sounds, singing leads.

I'm in heaven.

Here's the clip!

PS That clip went from zero to bounce in 20 minutes so excuse the slightly imperfect mix, gets the point across though I feel.

PPS Best played LOUD.

Last edited:
DAMN YOU!

:D

go read my reply in ss.org ROOK

sooo many pups choices, so little time and money... damn it!

Hahahaha I would change my name here but I don't know how!

And I did, and responded I think :)

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed!

I'm a huuuuuge fan of Alumitones. Both of my main guitars have the standard humbuckers and they are absolutely fantastic. I doubt I'll ever use any other pickup.

These will replace an Active 7 string pickup like a 707, they don't make a 7 string passive humbucker size X-Bar. These are the 3.5" bars that replace active 7's or passive 8's.

Thanks guys :)

Makes me want to scream! Very METAL.
Not hearing the boxiness, but I did turn it way up.
I think the kats on the next block now know what these pickups sound like. :)

Back
Top Bottom