V10 Facebook posts...

Hopefully Alexander Dumble won't 'gift' a flaming bag of poop on Cliff's doorstep.

Of course he'll probable be pretty tied up trying to sue the guy who 'illegally' sold it to Cliff in the first place!

I'm sorta confused by the approach shown by the Fractal pics, maybe someone can help me understand.

If they shoot all these IRs, through that variety of microphones..even though they capture each IR individually through those mics... Ultimately, each IR becomes one 'cab' file in the Axe-Fx.

Setting that cab to 'none' on the mic setting, makes sense, if the 'none' truly applies no more filtering. But then, the mic settings are additional filters, to an already 'mic applied' cab IR. In short, if Fractal chooses the Mesa cab through a R121 to be THE IR for that cab...changing the mic setting only further absracts that IR. And I don't get that logic.

The Redwires/OH approach, I can more closely understand, where they tell you what mic, in what position, and then you just set the mic to 'none' to get the 'un-molested' IR in your chain.

Any thoughts?

I would imagine fractal are taking the same approach as redwirez & ownhammer with these new cabs and recommending to set the mic to none ?

I'm sorta confused by the approach shown by the Fractal pics, maybe someone can help me understand.

If they shoot all these IRs, through that variety of microphones..even though they capture each IR individually through those mics... Ultimately, each IR becomes one 'cab' file in the Axe-Fx.

Setting that cab to 'none' on the mic setting, makes sense, if the 'none' truly applies no more filtering. But then, the mic settings are additional filters, to an already 'mic applied' cab IR. In short, if Fractal chooses the Mesa cab through a R121 to be THE IR for that cab...changing the mic setting only further absracts that IR. And I don't get that logic.

The Redwires/OH approach, I can more closely understand, where they tell you what mic, in what position, and then you just set the mic to 'none' to get the 'un-molested' IR in your chain.

Any thoughts?

Whatever the capture method, the new v10 cabs sound and feel absolutely superb. Using them with the internal mics still works so don't worry about it too much :)

That makes great sense. But it seems like they'd end up with hundreds of new IRs,(like the 10 zillion in the RW big-box) and I thought I recall FAS only mentioning dozens?

Any thoughts?

You might be over thinking it.

All IR's are captured with some kind of microphone.

The microphone simulation in the CAB block has always been a separate deal from the IR itself. So its the same as it always was.

For me, the mic sims are useful for taming the IR's for a mix. But I audition any IR without the mic sims first until I get in the ballpark.

You might be over thinking it.

All IR's are captured with some kind of microphone.

The microphone simulation in the CAB block has always been a separate deal from the IR itself.

Of course. But the mic sim is another filter, applied to the original capture mic. Jay's old posts addressed all that stuff...including the part of the 'null' mic, which ideally, is a tightly calibrated 'testing' mic, capturing the cab with 0 reflections or multipath. As close to 'hearing the cab' as physically possible. It would be neat, if turning the mic setting to 'sm57' would actually bring up the selected cab, shot thru a 'sm57' .. but that quickly leads to a GOZILLION IR files. Anyway...

Of course. But the mic sim is another filter, applied to the original capture mic. Jay's old posts addressed all that stuff...including the part of the 'null' mic, which ideally, is a tightly calibrated 'testing' mic, capturing the cab with 0 reflections or multipath. As close to 'hearing the cab' as physically possible. It would be neat, if turning the mic setting to 'sm57' would actually bring up the selected cab, shot thru a 'sm57' .. but that quickly leads to a GOZILLION IR files. Anyway...

Ah I misunderstood what you were asking.

And I personally don't see the value of using the mic selector to pick an IR. But to each their own.

The IR's are "pre-mixed" so you don't choose a mic in the Cab block with these. They are labeled (clearly) as "Mix" so you can tell.

Individual IR's with each mic (separate) will be made available.

I cannot overemphasize how much of an overall positive experience each of these IR's (the premixed ones) are.

The IR's are "pre-mixed" so you don't choose a mic in the Cab block with these. They are labeled (clearly) as "Mix" so you can tell.

I cannot overemphasize how much of an overall positive experience each of these IR's (the premixed ones) are.

Really looking forward to hearing these.

I've learned since owning an Ultra, that I trust Cliff's ears. That paired with these studios and cabs should be stunning.

Seeing that old boogie cab takes me way back. I loved that thing but it was so friggin loud. And heavy (gotta love these cab sims!!!).

Seeing that old boogie cab takes me way back. I loved that thing but it was so friggin loud. And heavy (gotta love these cab sims!!!).

I'm guessing the hernia award goes to the Dumble 4x12!

Loaded up with EV's and probably a heavy birch cabinet to begin with, yowza!

I had a couple of boogie recto oversized 4x12's that were covered with diamond plating. Looked and sounded great. Hauling them, not so great. Big IR fan here!

Whatever the capture method, the new v10 cabs sound and feel absolutely superb. Using them with the internal mics still works so don't worry about it too much :)

He asked a direct and legitimate technical question. Replying "don't worry about it" is condescending and neither productive nor respectful.

Cheers,
Mo.

He asked a direct and legitimate technical question. Replying "don't worry about it" is condescending and neither productive nor respectful.

Cheers,
Mo.

Sorry if I offended, appeared condescending or disrespected you or anyone else. I was merely trying to say it's not worth over thinking at this stage, wait for 10 to land and work it out for yourself. I guess I'll just STFU and go back to playing my guitar, catch you later!

Sorry if I offended, appeared condescending or disrespected you or anyone else. I was merely trying to say it's not worth over thinking at this stage, wait for 10 to land and work it out for yourself. I guess I'll just STFU and go back to playing my guitar, catch you later!

Cool. I dig what you're saying and appreciate the very informative posts and contributions you're made.

I work mostly with the RW IR's and by comparison the Axe IR labelling is not as clear, IMO, due to the addition of "other" mics on top of the original mic

Of course, it could be just me!

Cheers,
Mo

That makes good sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Can't wait for these! Mixing my own blend of mics to get the perfect IR has always been an area I've struggled with. Having some great gotos is an exciting prospect!

Back
Top Bottom