V10 Dont waste your time with v9 Presets!

The good news is that these sorts of drastic changes shouldn't happen again. Since MIMIC guarantees that the model sounds like the amp there won't be any huge changes in tone in future updates.

Now it's all about IRs. IRs are your fundamental tone shaping. So managing those will be the primary task.

I'm still hoping for an IR editor inside the axe-fx someday. Where you can tweak the eq and response character of an IR capture...

Absolutely right on starting from scratch with amps/cabs. And if you gig, tweak your patches at gig volume.

I violated that last rule this weekend while tweaking and as a result my presets sounded harsh at band practice tonight. Got a gig tomorrow so I am reverting to 9 temporarily. But I'll be back at 10 soon.

Very good advise kippiejr.

I would suggest to any die-hard V9 users who can't live without their tones is to do what I am doing (with great results) and set your Axe-Fx and Amp block as close to V9 specs as you can.

Try this:

- In the Global menu, set the "Modeling Version" to whatever you were using pre V10 (for most it will be "9.xx").

- On the Amp block's advanced page, turn "MIMIC" off and set the "PWR SUPPLY TYPE" to "DC".

- On the Amp block's "SPKR" page, return any of the values (if they were changed in V10) to what they were previously set to in V9.

(The SPKR page will still show the values it was set to in V9 unless if you have already reset the Amp block in the patch and saved it that way. If you haven't reset the amp and saved it, copy the amp to "Y" (or "X" if you are on "Y"), reset "Y" so it will be at V10'S settings, then switch between "X"&"Y" and compare each amp's "SPKR" page and see if any of the values are different.)

Change back anything else you can think of if it had a different setting in V9 (that's all I can think of off the top of my head).

After that, use your ears and tweak. You hopefully will already be much closer to your pre V10 tones. You may find that you like some of V10's settings better (I preferred having the "PWR SUPPLY TYPE" set to AC in my patches for example), so don't discount them. Also don't ignore any of the new parameters. Turning up the new “Character” control in the Amp's advanced page just a tiny bit (less than + 0.50) really helped things for me and got rid of some unwanted muddiness and added some liveliness to the tone. The new "DYN DEPTH" and "THUNK" have also being useful in small doses.

Like I said, this is what I am doing and I am very close to my old tones (and maybe getting some that are even a little better). It is especially hard for me because I primarily use the USA Lead & Lead+ sims and they were all completely redone in V10. So if I can do it, you probably can too. It certainly is better than going back to V9 and missing out on all the other goodies V10 has to offer besides the changes to the Amp block.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
My experience was the opposite of OP

All my tones translated fine to V10.
I tried doing the amp switch thing and the ony change it seemed to make was the master volume. I ended up dilating it back to where I had it anyway. Maybe it's cos I rarely used the advanced arame terms except perhaps minor sag and dynamics changes.

And hitting bypass twice took me to somewhere I didn't ike at all.

I guess what ever works for you, but my advice would be to at east try your old patches cos I'm well,happy with mine.

The skill (a rather generous way of describing it) I've developed from the firmware updates is just to treat the gear as if it's there in my room and I'm tweaking it like in real life. Luckily, this has been getting steadily easier which each FW update and so far I have spent very little time knob twiddling, and most of it playing. I'll get around to heavier tweakage when I'm trying to mimic (no pun intended) a specific tone or track, but so far I tend to get lost playing.

Easy for you 3-6 preset guys, not so easy with 50 preset all with X/Y amps. The volumes have to match on all of them for individual songs, etc. in the band context.

If you use the Axe to full advantage, these massive updates are crushing. It took my months in the band to tweak the individual preset volumes to sit in with the other guitar player etc...

Just my bank for a Floyd/Hendrix medley has 10 amps, 5 X/Y changes, some crushing to squeeky clean.

Shoot me now.

I really wish the Global 9xx was actually 9xx. I used this before to my advantage, copying my A bank to B, then just setting the global to the latest version to tweak bank B, and back to the old version and bank A for practice and gigs.

How about a sale on Axe IIs for current owners :) I could use another one ...

Then why change to V10? If you are happy with your current setup/tones, and you have so many that it would make it tough to update, why do it? When i was in a band playing regularly, I had about 20 tones, many specific for songs. I would only firmware update when i had a few weeks off so I could devote the time required to the updates. I skipped many firmware updates due to this, but was always happy with my tone.

Then again, I'm not an "I NEED THE NEWEST OF THE NEW" type of guy, like many folks are. Heck, I still haven't updated to 10 yet, still just jamming on the 9.

My experience was the opposite of OP

All my tones translated fine to V10.
I tried doing the amp switch thing and the ony change it seemed to make was the master volume. I ended up dilating it back to where I had it anyway. Maybe it's cos I rarely used the advanced arame terms except perhaps minor sag and dynamics changes.

And hitting bypass twice took me to somewhere I didn't ike at all.

I guess what ever works for you, but my advice would be to at east try your old patches cos I'm well,happy with mine.

this is what I am experiencing as well. besides the Master volume 'reset" I also found that the Depth value had been set to 7 by default on a lot of my patches. I had very little tweaking to do , to be able to keep most of my current patches.
Most of my 'advanced" tweaking is with sag, pick attack and Transformer match to 'soften" up the response and get more of taht 'squish" taht you get from a tube amp. V10 has much more of this already built in so most of my V9 patches are sounding pretty good. My toned matched patches on the other hand...........not so great
With any of the ones that sounded like ass after resetting the amp, I just discarded the changes and left them as is.
I noticed that the Corncog rest sounds completely different so I've left those patches alone for now.

I must say, starting from scratch is yielding some great results, I'm loving the TriAxis and Adam cook has posted a couple of patches that I'm really liking too. :)

Then why change to V10? If you are happy with your current setup/tones, and you have so many that it would make it tough to update, why do it? When i was in a band playing regularly, I had about 20 tones, many specific for songs. I would only firmware update when i had a few weeks off so I could devote the time required to the updates. I skipped many firmware updates due to this, but was always happy with my tone.

Then again, I'm not an "I NEED THE NEWEST OF THE NEW" type of guy, like many folks are. Heck, I still haven't updated to 10 yet, still just jamming on the 9.

Why get the AxeII at all? Wasn't it because it is the best product? Or did you buy it for some other reason?

Now my Axe version is not, according to the Web page and advertisements, the best sounding rig I could have. You don't want to sound better? Really????

Oh yeah ... 10 has new amps ... the Editor works with it! ... new features that improve the tone to the "next great Milestone."

Hard to figure why I would want to upgrade. I should have stuck with my Ultra apparently. That, too, was once the best sounding rig that existed. And before that the Axe Standard that I owned. Guess I should have just stopped there!!!

What perturbs me is people commenting on what I want or need to do. Save that for yourself. I spent the money on my rigs, not you. If you want to use your Axe for a nightstand, it makes no difference to me. It is your music, your equipment. The same goes for me and my music and needs.

Easy for you 3-6 preset guys, not so easy with 50 preset all with X/Y amps. The volumes have to match on all of them for individual songs, etc. in the band context.

If you use the Axe to full advantage, these massive updates are crushing. It took my months in the band to tweak the individual preset volumes to sit in with the other guitar player etc...

Just my bank for a Floyd/Hendrix medley has 10 amps, 5 X/Y changes, some crushing to squeeky clean.

Shoot me now.

I really wish the Global 9xx was actually 9xx. I used this before to my advantage, copying my A bank to B, then just setting the global to the latest version to tweak bank B, and back to the old version and bank A for practice and gigs.

Can you get a recording of your band? And try to work the volume with the recording. I don`t know if it will work, but just a suggestion. Anyone tried this?
50 patches that need to be redone for live use is some work. I just did 30, but it`s not critical for me to use all of them, so it`s an easier task. Did it with backing tracks and i`m hoping it will work.

Of course.. Another AXII would be nice in every way. Needed or not :D

Reactions: BMH

Shoot me now.

Yikes. I could never do it the way you do, it would drive me nuts! I want to play guitar, not manage presets full time.

Long ago I gave up trying to "use the Axe to full advantage". IMO sometimes simpler is better. Just because technology enables me to do complex things doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I'm in a diverse coverband and my live setup is exactly ONE preset, it covers 99% of what I need. It has 2 amp blocks, each with X\Y, and I use 4 scenes. The rest of the switches on my MFC are my pedalboard of effects, several of which also have X\Y. Effectively this gives me 4 amps and 4 drive pedals. Factor in liberal use of guitar volume knob and I have every level, color and shade of gain I need. Does my rig sound 'exactly' like the original recorded guitar part for every single song I cover? Of course not. But neither do the drums, keys or bass. Does my guitar sound great? Generally - yes!

YMMV

I guess i live in a world of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's pretty peaceful in this world. Find a tone you love, and play it. Geez, i know why i stayed away from the forum so long. So much damn negativity and rudeness. i'm out.

Yikes. I could never do it the way you do, it would drive me nuts! I want to play guitar, not manage presets full time.

Long ago I gave up trying to "use the Axe to full advantage". IMO sometimes simpler is better. Just because technology enables me to do complex things doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I'm in a diverse coverband and my live setup is exactly ONE preset, it covers 99% of what I need. It has 2 amp blocks, each with X\Y, and I use 4 scenes. The rest of the switches on my MFC are my pedalboard of effects, several of which also have X\Y. Effectively this gives me 4 amps and 4 drive pedals. Factor in liberal use of guitar volume knob and I have every level, color and shade of gain I need. Does my rig sound 'exactly' like the original recorded guitar part for every single song I cover? Of course not. But neither do the drums, keys or bass. Does my guitar sound great? Generally - yes!

YMMV

Define diverse. People at gigs think the Axe sounds phenominal. And it does. You can use a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a drive pedal all night too, you don't need the Axe. I did that for many years. Doesn't mean I had incredible sounds and tones. I love changing the tones with the songs. But to each their own. I got what I paid for, and I am sure you did too.

I guess i live in a world of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's pretty peaceful in this world. Find a tone you love, and play it. Geez, i know why i stayed away from the forum so long. So much damn negativity and rudeness. i'm out.

What the heck are you talking about? Do you even own the AxeII, and what version are you on? Talk about trolling. And your comment is the most negative one in here!

Agree 110%. Ive started fresh using a few new factory presets, tuned very slightly for my needs by way of adjusting the effects in front of and behind the amp. So happy with what i have. Tonight ill be rehearsing with V10 for the first time and cant wait to hear how it sounds.

Back
Top Bottom