V10.2 TMA Experiment

groovenut

Power User
So with a few people reporting issues with the TMA in V10 sounding like it has room reverb or is in a tunnel or has a blanket over it, I thought I would do some experiments to see if I could track down where these issues might be coming from.

I have done a few tone matches, but not since V6 or 7. I was waiting to upgrade until 10 hit so I don't know what might be missing from 9 to 10, but all the same here goes.

In this video, I recorded a test tone using a tube preamp of my own design and two IRs in MixIR, recorded using a direct box. this is the first track in the video.

I then used the stock factory preset for Euro Red as my match platform. I bypassed the reverb block and changed the block directly after the cab block to bypassed TMA. I set the gain and EQ to match the knobs on my preamp as a start. This is the second track in the video.

The third track is with the cab block set to highres mono. I wanted to see if there was any stereo summing phase error happening with the TMA (I didn't think there would be but hey...). I then did a one pass TMA match with the source track from track one. I used Offline mode and played along with the track. Performed the TMA capture then recorded the track.

The fourth track is with the cab block set to stereo with the stock settings and the same IR for both sides.

The fifth track is with the cab block set to stereo with different IRs for left and right, but still stock settings.

Please keep in mind these are quick and dirty captures. I also played along on every match so there is inconsistencies that come along with doing that. In the next round I might try using the looper or reamping for the guitar signal. I have included with each audio recording a normalized comparison FFT analysis. The Purple line is the reference the Blue line is the current sample.

To my ears I hear a difference, but only slight and nothing phasey or like a room reverb or blanket but maybe I just haven't found the thing yet...

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention was I set the Avg Time to Pk Hold for this experiment and wound up having to boost the TMA about 4dB.

Last edited:
I watched your video and it sounded as it should. However, I seriously don't get why mine as well as other have an issue going on. I have to TM one way and one way only to get decent results, anything like what you played I would have a sound issue.

I am planning on running some more experiments to see if I can achieve the results that others have. If I can duplicate it, maybe we can track down what the issue is. I thought it may be cross phasing from stereo signals but I think I have eliminated those events with this experiment.

Well I did this the same way I would have done a stem. But yeah about a week or two ago I pulled the guitar tone from the AIC tune It Aint Like That, not from the stem but straight from the CD intro. It was good then too.

Well I did this the same way I would have done a stem. But yeah about a week or two ago I pulled the guitar tone from the AIC tune It Aint Like That, not from the stem but straight from the CD intro. It was good then too.

I think it might have something to do with how the stem is recorded. For example, I was not able to get a good TM from "enter sandman" .ogg I have in V10 but I was able to get a good one in V9. It also to me...seems like the higher frequencies are cut down more which is why it sounds like a blanket is over it...but maybe that is actually more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom