Implemented UX: Highlight / Signify Original Amp's Tone Controls

Variable

Inspired
Now that we have that beautiful new display, would it be possible to highlight or otherwise mark in the amp block tone controls which are actually part of the modeled amp?

IE, for amps with a single tone control like the Tweed Deluxe, mark the Treble knob in the UI differently than the Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence and Master. That way those who want to stay as "authentic" as possible will be able to see the correct knob at a glance, rather than having to look up the amp model online.

The same would go for amps with a bass and treble but no mid control, like the Shiva clean and a lot of the old Fender and Vox amps.

I think the common reason this isn’t implemented since the first request 10 years ago is the different value placed on being “authentic.” To many, turning a knob that isn’t on the original is not an issue at all.

Not disagreeing, just sharing my thoughts on why this hasn’t been done.

I think the common reason this isn’t implemented since the first request 10 years ago is the different value placed on being “authentic.” To many, turning a knob that isn’t on the original is not an issue at all.

Not disagreeing, just sharing my thoughts on why this hasn’t been done.
I understand the desire to see which controls are "authentic" to the original, but I'm with @chris on this one.

I pull up an amp model, and I dial in bass/mid/treble until I'm happy. If I discover later that the original amp didn't have a mid control, I'm not going to get rid of the Mid setting and accept a crappier tone just to keep it "authentic."

The firmware provides specific authentic amp models. So it's not that strange to indicate the controls on the original amp. It's a win-win: both parties get what they want. So I'm in favor of this. And the research is all done already. ;)

I agree that it can’t hurt, but it baffles me why someone wouldn’t want to take advantage of any additional controls that are provided for the sake of being “authentic”.

I mean are there bonus points for just using the existing knob(s) and the audience is going to boo if they find out you tweaked a mid control that ‘shouldn’t’ of been allowed as it wasn’t originally on the amp?

To each their own, and as I said, I can’t see it hurting anything, but I also personally can’t see any advantage it would provide.

It makes the model more recognizable, it adds to its identity, and it helps to find and set a model’s reference sound. And it’s just an extension of the already implemented Master Volume approach.

Back
Top Bottom