USPS

All of the delivery services have hiccups, eh? In my experience, FedEx seems reliably incapable of delivering on the promised date. I think USPS does pretty well considering all -- mail shows up in my mailbox 6 days a week and the postal workers that I've met have always been very pleasant and professional.

Salaries and pensions, everything is paid by the USPS solely.

Prior to the 2006 legislative sabotage, the USPS had over-funded it's pension fund. Some in Congress then made a bipartisan effort to raid the fund, while ripening the USPS for poor service conditions and priming it for the privatization racket.

Here's a local story about the fine mess they've created:

https://www.inquirer.com/business/u...ays-philadelphia-christmas-2020-20201218.html

This guy creates a shipping label.. and does nothing for 20 days. Then USPS then sat on it for 24 days.
I figured it was because of the ballots.
Went to something like 8 places

Screenshot_20201221-140836_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20201221-140855_eBay.jpg

I wonder if Amazon is to blame for some of this along with pandemic and Christmas. They are probably totally clogging up the USPS network.

you are right they don't take tax dollars, usps gets bailed out every year by the fed. ups and fedex turn a profit how come the usps can't. you are right about the retention rate of letter carriers, in the city i'm in we always have new carriers and the ones that have been there awhile are saying to hell with it i'm done.

Think of it mathematically. USPS revenue mainly comes from the sale of stamps. With all of the paperless billing, etc. nowadays, it is easy to see how they are in the red. They pay employees pretty well, and Amazon is basically robbing them blind. Combine all of that and you have an agency that never turns a profit.

Think of it mathematically. USPS revenue mainly comes from the sale of stamps. With all of the paperless billing, etc. nowadays, it is easy to see how they are in the red. They pay employees pretty well, and Amazon is basically robbing them blind. Combine all of that and you have an agency that never turns a profit.

You know who else doesn't turn a profit? Your local fire department. That's hardly a criteria for success in the case of a government service.

AT least the Fire department shows up.... Does its job.

That is such an unfair statement. Regardless of the mistakes and errors if you see what is accomplished in the current circumstances they should get medals not insults. Your statement translated to the fire department would be like there was a huge traffic congestion which causes them to be late to a fire and then telling them they are incompetent and ALWAYS late. Nah. Think again.

That is such an unfair statement. Regardless of the mistakes and errors if you see what is accomplished in the current circumstances they should get medals not insults. Your statement translated to the fire department would be like there was a huge traffic congestion which causes them to be late to a fire and then telling them they are incompetent and ALWAYS late. Nah. Think again.
You are certainly welcome to your opinion. Doesn’t invalidate my response. The USPS has been a struggling organization for sometime. For years we continue to fund an organization that should be reworked. The comment wasn’t specifically targeted at the employees. Guess I can’t complain about my car, the guys who built it probably tried hard too. Peace

Regardless of the mistakes and errors if you see what is accomplished in the current circumstances they should get medals not insults.

”A historic amount of packages and rising employee Covid-19 rates are causing significant backlogs at US Postal Service processing facilities before Christmas.

All the shopping and shipping Americans have done in the last few weeks has inundated the system with what the USPS says is a "historic volume" of mail and packages.

"The packages are up to the ceiling" in Philadelphia, local American Postal Workers Union president Nick Casselli told CNN. "I've been in postal for 35 years, I've never seen what I'm seeing."

He says there are so many new packages -- upwards to 250,000 a day at the largest processing facility -- that the USPS opened a fourth annex just to store them all. There are so many incoming packages the postal workers can't process them in time, Casselli said.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/business/usps-delays-chrismas-trnd/index.html

You are certainly welcome to your opinion. Doesn’t invalidate my response. The USPS has been a struggling organization for sometime. For years we continue to fund an organization that should be reworked. The comment wasn’t specifically targeted at the employees. Guess I can’t complain about my car, the guys who built it probably tried hard too. Peace
As has been stated multiple times in this thread "we" don't fund USPS. They generate revenue thru stamp sales and services.

Just got back from the post office. A shipment of strings arrived at my local post office (a five minute walk away) early Monday AM. It's now Friday and the Tracking info says "in route to the next destination". Well the "next destination" is me, and I'm right up the street! So I write down the info and go down there and it turns out it's still on the truck from the local hub that arrived Monday, which means they are letting trucks full of mail just sit here and don't unload them until they are good and ready. So who knows how much longer I have too wait. BTW, there were other people there doing the same thing. I thought for sure it was stolen. Some guitar playing postal worker sees Strings and Beyond on the label and helps himself.

I recently changed jobs after 13 years, and thus did a 401k rollover from that employer into an IRA with a preferred retirement investment firm.
In doing so, the previous holder of my (significant amount) of funds had to cut a check and send it to my new financial firm via USPS (as I was later informed). This was done and I was given a window of 10 days for the check to reach its destination. Never happened. I called to inquire and the original check was voided and another one issued. Same routine: missed the arrival deadline.

Eventually, they issued a new check delivered FedEx and the funds finally got to my new investment firm, AFTER SITTING IN LIMBO FOR 6 WEEKS AND NOT BEING INVESTED. A modest guess, given my investments, is that this probably cost me a couple thousand dollars, and we'll never really know how much for certain. The two previous voided checks were never received, according to my investor.

I understand that USPS is up against things, but man, I'd never have guessed things to be this fouled up. I seem to be getting my regular mail and bills to my home address without delay.

Sold 200$ tube headphone amp on EBAY - brought it in person to USPS - 2 1/2 months later - they lost the package and I had to refund buyer of course

Now Im out 200$ they said I never dropped it off - yah right have the receipt in my hand - went to see post master - he has no clue where package is

Never use them again for sending packages - beware USPS sux

Ive lost packages from both UPS and USPS, the delivery is only as good as the people servicing the route...

This is what happens in an institution that can't or won't fire shitbag employees.

Those of us in rural areas know additional pain and suffering because Amazon and FedEx hands off packages to the USPS as the end carrier, so things can and do get seriously borked.

Ive lost packages from both UPS and USPS, the delivery is only as good as the people servicing the route...
Same here. I don't see any more problems with USPS than with other services. A couple of weeks ago, I got a notice that a package was delivered by USPS to my parcel locker, but the package wasn't there. At that point I figured it was lost forever, but I filled out a form online anyway, reporting the lost package. An hour later, I got a phone call from a USPS employee to ask me for additional details so they could track it down. A couple of hours later I got a phone call to say it had been found and was now in my parcel locker, and it was. It was disappointing the package was lost in the first place, but things like that happen. The impressive thing was the way they resolved the problem.

Same here. I don't see any more problems with USPS than with other services. A couple of weeks ago, I got a notice that a package was delivered by USPS to my parcel locker, but the package wasn't there. At that point I figured it was lost forever, but I filled out a form online anyway, reporting the lost package. An hour later, I got a phone call from a USPS employee to ask me for additional details so they could track it down. A couple of hours later I got a phone call to say it had been found and was now in my parcel locker, and it was. It was disappointing the package was lost in the first place, but things like that happen. The impressive thing was the way they resolved the problem.
Hey that's cool, great to have some people on the ball to follow up, make decisions and execute them! your lucky, should have purchased a lottery ticket that day! I was not so lucky on one of many USPS delivery from eBay that was tracked as delivered but never showed up, I did the lost form at the main post office in town but only crickets after that.. years ago when I was young I had a job that interfaced with lots of UPS deliveries, here in the bay area back in the 80's and 90's they were the kings of f-n up, damaged stuff, lost packages, rude route delivery drivers and absolutely zero customer phone service, its amazing this company is still around.

Back
Top Bottom