Using XLRs into the Axe FX II?

Sean Ashe

Power User
Hey everyone, I was wondering how I would go about changing an XLR signal to the Axe FXs 1/4" inputs, as I have been using an Mbox for all XLR related tasks (vocals etc) and loathe it.

A friend told me that the impedance differs as far as 1/4" goes, from that of standard interfaces, so I am unsure if it's even possible. I know some sort of adapter would have to be involved, which I'm assuming is a female XLR to Stereo 1/4".

Does anyone know if/how this would work? And if anyone has attempted it I'd appreciate some input. Thanks!

The Axe-Fx II inputs are balanced so you just need an XLR to 1/4" stereo adapter.

For microphone use though, wouldn't you want a mic pre between the two? Or do you get good results running a mic straight into the balanced ins?

For microphone use though, wouldn't you want a mic pre between the two? Or do you get good results running a mic straight into the balanced ins?

This is something I've been curious about also. Cliff's sparse answer suggests the answer is yes to the latter. That is, it was his intention for it to be so.

Note:
They also make an adapter which changes the impedance. You do not want that type.

The "stereo" term is used as reference to tip-ring-sleeve where the ring and sleeve will conduct the two wires of the "balanced" signal. (the third pin on your XLR) The word "stereo" only refers to the second wire, not any type of "stereo" image. The signal is mono. you would need two of them to actually input a true stereo image into your axe.

You are actually not wanting a "stereo" XLR to 1/4" but instead it is going to be an XLR to balanced 1/4" adapter . It could never actually carry a "stereo" signal.

Note:
They also make an adapter which changes the impedance. You do not want that type.

The "stereo" term is used as reference to tip-ring-sleeve where the ring and sleeve will conduct the two wires of the "balanced" signal. (the third pin on your XLR) The word "stereo" only refers to the second wire, not any type of "stereo" image. The signal is mono. you would need two of them to actually input a true stereo image into your axe.

You are actually not wanting a "stereo" XLR to 1/4" but instead it is going to be an XLR to balanced 1/4" adapter . It could never actually carry a "stereo" signal.

Yea man I already have the adapter works great. Sounds great too :)

Back
Top Bottom