Using Xitone Powered Wedges as recording monitors?

jiagap

Inspired
I just ran one of my Logic recorded mixes through my one Xitone Wedge, it sounded incredible. The articulation, clarity, and punch were remarkable. I usually use a pair of Mackie HR824s in the studio. While I have been a bit frustrated with them, I had no idea the difference that I would hear, instantly, with the Xitone - and that was mono.

Anyone use their FRFR guitar monitors for mixing? I am seriously thinking of getting a second Xitone wedge just for the studio and mixing. Any thoughts?

They work fine, though can be a bit overkill and worsen any room acoustics issues.

Point of near field monitors is to try to hear things direct, and accurate, not make things sound “good”

500 watt 12” wedges designed for sound dispersion will typically sound “better” in most locations in the room. Better may not be accurate though, so I’d be hesitant to use them as my only monitor source.

I have CLR’s, Prosonus nearfield s6’s, and also a pair of smaller 3” units. By comparing mixes with the different systems I can get a better idea of how stuff might sound through a listeners pc speakers or car, or stereo.

They work fine, though can be a bit overkill and worsen any room acoustics issues.

Point of near field monitors is to try to hear things direct, and accurate, not make things sound “good”

500 watt 12” wedges designed for sound dispersion will typically sound “better” in most locations in the room. Better may not be accurate though, so I’d be hesitant to use them as my only monitor source.

I have CLR’s, Prosonus nearfield s6’s, and also a pair of smaller 3” units. By comparing mixes with the different systems I can get a better idea of how stuff might sound through a listeners pc speakers or car, or stereo.

Agreed. Comparing mixes with different systems is great. My use of "incredible" was mostly for the revealed articulation and clarity of all the parts that I was not hearing as well in the Mackies.

Back
Top Bottom