USING X-LOAD LB-2 WITH THE III

bradlake

Axe-Master
Thought I would start this thread as the number of users with both units increases, and the LB2 doesn't yet seem to rate its own forum section , here we are...my LB-2 is incoming this week,
and I pulled out my modest selection of amps (two VHT combos and a Friedman Runt 20 combo) in preparation, and while thinking about potential routing scenarios, it appeared to me that the III is perfectly designed to mesh with the LB -2, with its Unity gain 3/4 loops, and increased horsepower, routing and cab lab like control, enough that one could easily create a powerful
4 or 5CM rig alongside a standard III preset with juice to spare..
I know this is going to sound HUUGE. I plugged a parallel row of FX from the III's 003 Deluxe Verb into the front of my VHT Special 6 slightly behind me, and voila, the best sound that tiny amp ever had,( better, cleaner, than the similar effects I have used it with my FX8!!), in a triphonic unison with my monitors. So its already great before the LB 2 even arrives........cant wait to see and hear what we all come up with...and pray the AMP GAS doesn't get too virulent ....

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
has anyone here yet had an oppportunity to directly compare the LB-2 to the other product that is getting some very good hype, UADs OX...? obviously the Ox has more bells and whistles and the always impressive UAD sound quality, but I am pretty confident that the LB 2 is a better match for someone who has tens of thousands of. Quality IRs already sitting in my MACand III, and not a large selection of amps to mess with ,but I am also heavily invested and interested in the UAD format, my curiosity (and respect for Fractal friend and contributor James Santiago , who has been a force behnd some of UAD cooler recent endeavors).remains...hence the question.

Hi @bradlake . I haven't yet compared the LB-2 to the UA OX (I live in Europe and am still waiting for the first delivery of LB-2s to get to G66).

But I have spent several hours with the OX and (spoiler alert) decided not to buy it.

I am fortunate to own a Bogner Ecstasy 101B (EL34) and the matching oversized 2x12 cab with vintage 30 speakers. Yesterday, I spent about 3 hours with the OX, trying to get the sweet, organic, woody tone from my Bogner on headphones.

My impression was that the OX is fine for balls-out playing, but for more subtle stuff it sounded either brittle (toppy, a bit spiky) or, when I eq'd the top out, woolly and muffled. This was a surprise to me as I'd read probably the same reviews as you and they are generally very positive.

Now, some caveats:
- There isn't a model of my cab in the OX. But there are closed-back 4x12s which I know how they sound.
- I didn't want to spend more than 2 hours on eq'ing etc: perhaps someone more skilled than I could have had a great outcome more quickly: maybe it's in there and I didn't know how to find it.
- I am extremely particular about my tone (aren't we all!). YMMV etc etc - as with all these subjective things.

For now, I get a better-sounding Bogner Ecstasy (albeit the 20th Anniversary, not the 101B, which sounds a little different but has the same character) by using my Axe-FXII. It's not harsh and brittle like I found the OX - it's recognisably the same amp and has that sweetness.

The hunt continues... I'm looking forward to seeing if I can get closer with the LB-2 and the Axe-FX.

I hope that helps - and please let us know how you get on!

Cheers!

Hi @bradlake . I haven't yet compared the LB-2 to the UA OX (I live in Europe and am still waiting for the first delivery of LB-2s to get to G66).

But I have spent several hours with the OX and (spoiler alert) decided not to buy it.

I am fortunate to own a Bogner Ecstasy 101B (EL34) and the matching oversized 2x12 cab with vintage 30 speakers. Yesterday, I spent about 3 hours with the OX, trying to get the sweet, organic, woody tone from my Bogner on headphones.

My impression was that the OX is fine for balls-out playing, but for more subtle stuff it sounded either brittle (toppy, a bit spiky) or, when I eq'd the top out, woolly and muffled. This was a surprise to me as I'd read probably the same reviews as you and they are generally very positive.

Now, some caveats:
- There isn't a model of my cab in the OX. But there are closed-back 4x12s which I know how they sound.
- I didn't want to spend more than 2 hours on eq'ing etc: perhaps someone more skilled than I could have had a great outcome more quickly: maybe it's in there and I didn't know how to find it.
- I am extremely particular about my tone (aren't we all!). YMMV etc etc - as with all these subjective things.

For now, I get a better-sounding Bogner Ecstasy (albeit the 20th Anniversary, not the 101B, which sounds a little different but has the same character) by using my Axe-FXII. It's not harsh and brittle like I found the OX - it's recognisably the same amp and has that sweetness.

The hunt continues... I'm looking forward to seeing if I can get closer with the LB-2 and the Axe-FX.

I hope that helps - and please let us know how you get on!

Cheers!
thanks Hugh, appreciate your insight . My LB 2 will be arriving tomorrow, and I only have three amps to work with, but I think the Friedman Runt should make some interesting noise..../looking forward to it.. .. and I think the FAS Bogners are awesome too..and you can use them as drives by disabling Supply Sag..!

thanks Hugh, appreciate your insight . My LB 2 will be arriving tomorrow, and I only have three amps to work with, but I think the Friedman Runt should make some interesting noise..../looking forward to it.. .. and I think the FAS Bogners are awesome too..and you can use them as drives by disabling Supply Sag..!

Hey Brad

I should say; as a pure attenuator the OX was top-notch, though; much better than any other attenuator i’ve used - even at low volume, it sounded great. But that wasn’t my use case, because I can already bump the Ecstasy down to approx. 7W with the right set of switches...

That is exactly what I want to do when I finally get the III. I've had the LB-2 for a month now and recently got the OX. Both boxes sound great as reactive loads with any of the amps I've tried with them.
Obviously the LB-2 doesn't work as an attenuator like the OX, but I don't need to use it in that way. I've been using the Axe as my FX and IR host and run full FR. I've run my Friedman BE 50 in 4CM, feeding the direct out of the LB-2 back in to the axe for post FX and cab sims. I'm really looking forward to the III for the routing capabilities to pursue this set up further. I will say though that the OX sounds amazing and is really a great all in one solution...just expensive.
Comparing the OX to the Fractal load, they do sound slightly different due to the speakers respectively "modeled" for the reactive load, but the Fractal can get close to the OX by using the "US" setting. FWIW, I like the LB-2 a little better for higher gain.
With the III's extra horsepower and new IR mixing on board, I would have to think it would be able to accomplish anything anyone would need it to in this application.

That is exactly what I want to do when I finally get the III. I've had the LB-2 for a month now and recently got the OX. Both boxes sound great as reactive loads with any of the amps I've tried with them.
Obviously the LB-2 doesn't work as an attenuator like the OX, but I don't need to use it in that way. I've been using the Axe as my FX and IR host and run full FR. I've run my Friedman BE 50 in 4CM, feeding the direct out of the LB-2 back in to the axe for post FX and cab sims. I'm really looking forward to the III for the routing capabilities to pursue this set up further. I will say though that the OX sounds amazing and is really a great all in one solution...just expensive.
Comparing the OX to the Fractal load, they do sound slightly different due to the speakers respectively "modeled" for the reactive load, but the Fractal can get close to the OX by using the "US" setting. FWIW, I like the LB-2 a little better for higher gain.
With the III's extra horsepower and new IR mixing on board, I would have to think it would be able to accomplish anything anyone would need it to in this application.
I will find out for myself about the LB-2 with the III in a few hours , looks like. ...

So I got it..it works as advertised..and my very early feeling is...My amp collection is sorta...really lame ...Compared to what I can get out of the III on its own. .. I guess I knew thatgoing in...but my initial filddling with my Friedman Runt DI ed into the III has not revealed any great secrets yet....that I can’t get with a Dirty Shirley or BE on the Axe..further testament on the awesomeness of the III..,...but I shall soldier on

Last edited:
Keep soldiering, @bradlake ! I'll be interested in learning where you land. I'm also looking at a III + an LB-2 (once G66 have them) - unless @FractalAudio decides to add the Bogner Ecstasy 101B clean channel, as it is just so sweet... (go on, Cliff - you know you want to :)).

Also, Brad: how does the LB-2 respond compared to a cab or to the other load boxes you've used?

Keep soldiering, @bradlake ! I'll be interested in learning where you land. I'm also looking at a III + an LB-2 (once G66 have them) - unless @FractalAudio decides to add the Bogner Ecstasy 101B clean channel, as it is just so sweet... (go on, Cliff - you know you want to :)).

Also, Brad: how does the LB-2 respond compared to a cab or to the other load boxes you've used?
I've only had experience with the direct out of my Runt, which was underwhelming, and now that I've been tweaking a bit, the feel of the Runt thru the LB2 into the III feels very nice and natural...I set up a very simple III preset with 3 scenes..scene 1is the III panned hard right using the new BE C45 model only, 2 is the Runt thru the LB2 panned left, and 3 is both in stereo using the same Dr Bonkers Filthy user cab ( if you use the preset use IR s of your choice......and careful of the routing...). here is a very dirty, clamfilled recording, the first time thru is the BEc45 2nd time, Runt thru III 3rd time both with some random switching thru scenes at fade....

Attachments

• LB2 4cm test (2).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom