Using USB as an effects loop

ZenX

Hello, first post and thank you for your help. I'm trying to route my Axe 3 signal into my laptop, have the signal processed by a VST, and have the processed signal return into the Axe3. I would monitor the VST prcessed signal on the headphones of the Axe3 and and the master stereo output 1 of the Axe (so all that is heard at any time, on headphones, speakers connected to the Axe 3 is the audio which is being treated by the VST). I do not plan on processing this Returned signal any further in the Axe 3. In a sense I am trying to use the laptop as an effects Block. I appreciate that there may be latency issues, but first things first.. I imagine this is pretty simple to set up, but I am new to the Axe 3. Apologies if its remarkably simple (or has been covered elsewhere in the Forum). I very much appreciate your help. (BTW: Axe 3 is amazing, incredible design all around). Thanks.

To help you out on this we need to know if you are using another audio interface or just the axe fx 3. and also what DAW you use. i do similar things with Ableton Live.

To start with, if you send the the VST effects back to Axe on your signal chain, and if all goes out to same output again, you will create a feedback loop.

One way would be (though it would add latency) you could use "feedback send and feedback return" block a certain part in your preset, signal chain and send the audio to DAW and than back to Axe Fx. You need than cables to patch lets sat out 3 and input 3. I know you asked to use USB but depending on your setup gear, intention...there might not be another way without avoiding the feedback loop issue.

Thanks. The routing resolution is: Input 1 -> Out 2 -> Out 1. On the machine running the VST, the audio input / output Sound Preferences must both be set to "Axe 3". This seems to be working so far regarding getting a signal out via USB and routing input back into the Axe 3 which is being used as a DAW.

Am i getting it right, it works and you don’t get feedback loop? Your last message is little bit confusing, Axe can’t be used as a DAW :)...i know you don’t mean this probably but i also didn’t understand the routing. You might have found a way which might simplfy my routing also...hence i am asking.

It's a very simple routing, why don't you create a patch and try it. (if you are concerned about feedback, just always be safe and turn monitor levels down very low.) (I am not experiencing any feedback. Remember to set under System Preferences / Sound on your Mac Input and. Output Devices to Axe 3.) I'm not convinced this is the best solution, but so far so good.
The Axe 3 can't be used as a DAW? From the Axe 3 manual; ."..audio interface for Mac and Windows computers. A driver is required for use under Windows. This extremely high- quality audio interface is powerful enough to be the centerpiece of a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)."Sorry if I got that wrong, but it does do the AD / DA conversion and everything but multi tracking.. :)

It's a very simple routing, why don't you create a patch and try it. (if you are concerned about feedback, just always be safe and turn monitor levels down very low.) (I am not experiencing any feedback. Remember to set under System Preferences / Sound on your Mac Input and. Output Devices to Axe 3.) I'm not convinced this is the best solution, but so far so good.
The Axe 3 can't be used as a DAW? From the Axe 3 manual; ."..audio interface for Mac and Windows computers. A driver is required for use under Windows. This extremely high- quality audio interface is powerful enough to be the centerpiece of a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)."Sorry if I got that wrong, but it does do the AD / DA conversion and everything but multi tracking.. :)
you are miximg up terms. Axe FX is an interface/preamp/amp modeller/convertor all that but its not a DAW :) DAW stands for the software you use (cubase, prools, logic erc). Anyways, this is not the topic. I have highly complex system in my Studio. 3x UA apollo’s, another digital monitor controller and Axe FX 3 all integrated and they work as aggregate device. So my situation is little bit different. Though that piece you figured out might/will help me with some stuff.

And feedback loop doesn’t mean it will allways feedback/scream. You can have a feedback loop, if its lets say only the delay/reverb (which are most cases low volume)feeding back and coming out again it will cause phasing issues.

Would you mind sending me your preset? As i said response to your message: i didnt exactly understand your preset routing the way you described it. Will be way easier to wrap my head around it if i see it. Thx

You’re right, the definition of a “DAW” is definitely off topic. No not all feedback is bad, you are of course correct, but you seemed concerned so thought to mention to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom