Using two preamps question

Big Kurka

So I’m wondering it is possible to use two separate preamps one in the left channel and one in the right channel and switch between for clean and distortion AND still have stereo output while only using one preamp at a time???

You should be able to do this no problem. I use two Mesa amps in stereo with awesome results. It takes a bunch of cables to accomplish, but the results are really cool. It's basically the classic 4 cable method... but with 7 cables for the stereo functionality for both amps (the input cable is shared). I use a VOL block with my expression pedal to be able to pan back and forth. You can also use the VOL block to switch between the amps per presets. There are lots of ways to get creative to achieve different results. I am using one relay to control both amps' channels via a Y cable adapter. You could use one relay per amp for separate control. One of the coolest things is the stereo effects are still sent to both power amp channels even with only one preamp in use.

When you use dual amps or preamps, how do you ensure there's no Amp A signal bleeding over into Amp B and vice versa? Are the L and R signals on the FX8 completely isolated? I'm assuming stereo effects would remain isolated, but what happens when you through a mono delay block in the mix? Does it sum everything to mono and your two signals are combined?

To answer part of your question if you use a mono delay yes it will sum up your left and right channels if it is the last block in your setup.

Back
Top Bottom