Using Tube-Pre As A Tube Power Amp Sim...

DJD100

Power User
...with external preamps.

I've previously used a Two Notes Torpedo CAB for this with my various tube preamps, and couldn't find a way to use the Ultra's amp block as a tube power amp sim that sounded good until now (noting that the Tube-Pre as config'd is only a preamp model, without a tube power amp model turned on).

I've now found a way to use the Ultra's Tube-Pre for a pseudo tube power amp sim with my tube preamps which now sounds roughly good as the Torpedo's, and here are the details...

a) I set my external preamp's tone stack as flat as possible (typically bass and mid up, treble down for traditional passive Fender/Vox/Marshall type tonestacks, but it varies (though the Seymour Duncan Tone Stack Calc for Windows works well for this)!

b) Next I instantiate a amp block with the Tube-Pre post the external preamp, and then pick a tone-stack for my rather flat sounding exterenal preamp. I set the Tube-Pre's gain to zero, Master Volume to ten (you'll need to make up gain elsewhere!).

c) I then turn on the Tube-Pre's power section model by turning Sag up from zero, and while leaving the Tube-Pre's tonestack flat, adjust the various power section parameters to what I need considering the gain structure and tone of the external preamp, and the selected tone stack in the Tube-Pre (I'll look at the modeled amp's power amp settings for ideas and tweak from there etc). We're talking Bias, B+, HPF and LPF, Sag, Depth, Warmth, Damp etc, though typically the most critical elements are the LPF and HPF (as well as the tonestack selection).

Again, leave the Tube-Pre's gain at zero and make up gain elsewhere as needed (various Level Controls etc, you'll need quite a bit). If you want to drive the tube power amp harder, don't turn up the Tube-Pre's gain, rather use a Filter Block or something and push it that way. I've found that < 6db is more than enough assuming a proper input leve (if you turn up the Tube-Pre's gain you'll start sounding like a preamp/power amp sim rather than just a power amp sim.

Lastly, make your normal adjustments to the Tube-Pre's tone stack, and some small adjustments to your external preamp's tonestack as needed.

I've tried it with relatively clean through edge-of-breakup Fender/Vox tones, through pushed mid-gain modded Marshall/Mesa type tones with good success.

Finally, the Ultra tube power amp sim isn't near as adjustable gain-wise, but aside from that it sounds and feels quite good IMO (seeing this is all subjective in any case, i.e. IMO!).

I'm still loving my Ultra with my various tube preamps, and hopefully this might help anyone else using their Gen 1 for this usage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom