Using the Roland Gr 33 as a midi controller question

I am using the roland gr 33 as a midi controller for the axe IIxl+. I cant get the volume control pedal to act as a volume pedal. Does anyone use this device and is it possible to get the pedal to function correctly? Am I missing a setting on the axe maybe?

I guess there is no known way of getting the volume pedal to function correctly. I need to look for an alternative.

Does the pedal generate midi output? If so, then you just need to know what CC number it uses.

I am able to change presets with it . so does that mean the gr33 generates midi output? I think i have tried different cc numbers but still no luck.

I am able to change presets with it . so does that mean the gr33 generates midi output? I think i have tried different cc numbers but still no luck.
I meant does the pedal specifically generate midi, as opposed to does the GR-33 generate midi.

The fact that you can change presets means that the GR-33 is sending midi PCs, but that doesn't mean that it sends CCs or even that the pedal is tied to midi.

So... When in doubt, RTFM :)

See page 91 here:

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GR-33_OM.pdf

Especially the section "About Expression Pedal Effects"...

Also, you'll want to check the Axe Fx manual here, page 194:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual.pdf#page209

You could use CC 10, 11 or 12 depending on if you want to control the "global" volume or use one of the external controller values if you want to assign it as a modifier for a Volume (or other) block.

Note that these CCs are assignable in the Axe Fx but if you change them make sure they aren't duplicated somewhere else.

I finally found the correct edit page on the gr 33 and set the volume pedal to cc10 or 11 and it works. but when ever i change a preset to another preset on the axe the volume cuts out and i have to back off the volume pedal and then re press down the pedal to re gain the full volume. is there a fix for that?

I finally found the correct edit page on the gr 33 and set the volume pedal to cc10 or 11 and it works. but when ever i change a preset to another preset on the axe the volume cuts out and i have to back off the volume pedal and then re press down the pedal to re gain the full volume. is there a fix for that?
Not unless the GR-33 has an option to send pedal position on PC... Which it most likely doesn't. Check the manual for "send on preset change" or "send on program change".

You might be able to make it work by using the CC for an external controller with a Volume block plus the "PC Reset" ON on the modifier (and maybe auto engage using one of the "speed" methods)... But that would be done per preset, and may not work anyway.

Edit:

Page 47 in the GR-33 manual has a bit more info on using the pedal. I don't think it will work how you want on a global level...

If it was me, I would add a Volume block in the presets I want to control. I would set the GR-33 pedal as EXP Pedal and assign it to the CC of an Axe Fx External Controller.

Assign the controller to the Level control of the volume block, set PC Reset On and save the preset with the volume at the level you want for default.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom