Using the MFC on Presets >384?

Mic

I'm a very new owner of an Axe Fx XL and an MFC 101, and even tho both are pretty much straight forward and intuitive to handle, it still can be overwhelming at parts.
One thing I didn't figure out yet is, how do I set up the MFC, so that I can use presets >384 with it?

I thought of letting the presets 1-384 as they are and start using my patches beyond these factory presets.
But how do I set up the MFC, so it stays at the high #'s and not always jumping back into the 1-384 range of presets, please?

Sorry in advance, if this has already been asked.

MFC-101 cannot access any preset with a number greater than 384.
You could use the Transmit Map but I would discourage that. The most practical thing to do would be to move all the presets that you use into the banks below 384. Its easy to do using Axe-Manage / Axe-Edit.

The Axe-Fx Standard, Ultra, Mark I and Mark II were created with a limit of 384 presets and the MFC-101 was designed to work with that. The release of the XL and XL+ recently introduced the 768 presets, which the MFC-101 doesn't know about. So move your Presets to the lower banks.
-G

Yep, 384 is it, you have to use preset spaces to put your creations in. My gigging presets, for example, start at 300. Any preset I really liked that was in the way got swapped to another location where a preset I didn't like or need was located until I had presets from 300 to about 320 open to rewrite over.

The swapping is a pretty easy way to set up your Axe FX with continuous preset to write over. Find one you don't mind losing and make a note of the preset number. Go to the space you are "clearing" (if it is one you want to keep) and swap the unwanted preset there. So what you are doing is lining up a bunch of perset spaces you don't mind writing over and still keeping the presets that were there if you want. It takes less time to do one than it takes to write this down!

I would leave all the amp examples in the lower numbers alone, they're good example material to build from. Go to 200, 250, 300 or start there.

Write your presets above 385 and use the mapping in the mfc to select those presets. It is very basic midi that is used, and thats what it is there for. eg. axefx preset 400 is mapped to preset 1 on the mfc.

Cheers
Ant

It is weird that we can't have an option on the MFC to shift everything, meaning every preset then just +384, so we can access those at will. Maybe there's a programming limitation that I don't understand.

You CAN do what you're suggesting. You can dig a trench with a teaspoon also, but that doesn't mean its the best way to do it. Those of us who have been using the gear for a few years have already learned what the gotchas are and why one way is better than another. Swap the preset locations, using Axe-Edit preferably, or the front panel of the Axe-Fx. There are reasons these tools are available.

At the end of the day, there are always multiple ways to accomplish anything with this gear - do it they way that best suits your needs, which you understand better than anyone.

Back
Top Bottom