Using the FX8 with Mooer RADAR pedal?

Drifts29

So I have a few solo gigs lined up soon and instead of lugging around an amp/cabinet I've decided to go with the Mooer Radar pedal cab IR sim. Are you guys familiar with this pedal? I've heard great things about it. Anyhow, I'm going to be performing over backing tracks through PA speakers. Is the FX8 considered a PREAMP? Because I want my signal chain to go as follows: Guitar > FX8 > Mooer Radar pedal (with loaded IR cabinet of choice) > Mixer > Powered PA speakers. Would this work? Is there anything else I need?

I know the FX8 is designed to go through an amp which is why I'm curious if this will work?

It should be possible because the Radar has power amp sims, too. But maybe it would even be better to use it together with a preamp pedal like the AMT F-1 which even has a loop for 4CM.

I'm not sure what kind of guitar tone you're after, but I did a couple of gigs with my Stones tribute band using a Joyo American Sound (inexpensive clone of the Tech 21 Blonde amp simulator) followed by a Mooer Radar pedal straight into a direct box and it sounded great. I had the Joyo set right at the edge of breakup, and then used OD pedals for dirt. I wouldn't hesitate to do that again and put a FX8 in front of a setup like that.

Here's a few short demos that sound like the tones that I was getting.

Last edited:
I use the Mooer Radar in conjunction with a Binary Hotone Amp simulator with the cabs shut off on the binary. It works very well and I have pretty much tone matched it between it and my Mesa Mark 5:25. I use a custom cab loaded in the Radar (i think it's based on a bogner cab).

The reason I use the Binary Hotone is because it's an amp sim that actually has an effects loop in it. I do not have to change my patches to sound good through the radar.

You shouldn't need to use a DI with the Radar. I use a TRS to XLR cable direct to the mixer. Your mileage may vary but I see plenty of signal at my mixer this way.

The one thing I can say is that if you are using IEM, the frequencies that come through are pretty broad... you'll need to trim out some eq (to taste) so that you don't use up all the power of the IEMs.

I'm not sure what kind of guitar tone you're after, but I did a couple of gigs with my Stones tribute band using a Joyo American Sound (inexpensive clone of the Tech 21 Blonde amp simulator) followed by a Mooer Radar pedal straight into a direct box and it sounded great. I had the Joyo set right at the edge of breakup, and then used OD pedals for dirt. I wouldn't hesitate to do that again and put a FX8 in front of a setup like that.

Here's a few short demos that sound like the tones that I was getting.

Back
Top Bottom