Using the FM3 to change channels on Engl Savage 60

Hey there guys, I just purchased an Engl Savage 60 Mark II.
I am wanting to change the channels on my Savage with my FM3 and FC6. Has anyone done this? The manual for the savage makes it sound like the only way to do this is with a foot switch, but the Savage has MIDI in and out.

The Savage also has a list of MIDI commands…..but switching the amps channels aren’t listed in the commands.

I am hoping someone has found a workaround to make this happen before I go by a footswitch and just use the FM3 through the effects loop.

Thanks
Gary

Hopefully it's a typo in the manual and they forgot to mention channel switching via MIDI, which seems like the top feature people would need, and it's missing, so contact Engle to be sure.

If in fact the case is that you can't switch amp channels via MIDI which is hard to fathom, then you'll need a external device that accepts MIDI to control amp relays...

MIDI Amp Switchers

Channel switching on Engls works with a Program Change from the MIDI device and the write/copy button on the amp (saving the channel settings/buttons for every PC 0-127), use this feature on the FM3:

Send MIDI PC
Supported on the Axe-Fx III, FM9 and FM3.

This setting determines whether the Axe-Fx III, FM9 or FM3 automatically sends a MIDI Program Change at its MIDI OUT port upon loading a new preset (front panel, using an FC or otherwise). You can select the MIDI channel to be used.

Last edited:
Doesn't appear from the manual that it supports channel changes via midi, as you already surmised.

You might be able to use a midi amp channel changer controlled by the FM3.

Would be helpful to list this stuff in the midi section... But, hey, I'm not a manual writer so what do I know? ;)
There's a MIDI section? o_O It's not the easiest manual to find stuff in.

It appears that the Savage amps don't set amp channels directly via MIDI. Instead, you dial in the amp exactly the way you want it, channel and all, and then save that as a preset. If you only want to change the amp channel and nothing else, you would save four presets — all identical, except with different channels.

1649556171029.png

Last edited:
Soooooo, it seems that I can use my FM3 to control my Engl. The question now is how do I set the FM3 up in the editor to do this? I have seen people set up the 4CM, but I will use just a MIDI cable.

Do I add a MIDI block where the Input block would go? What would be put where the output block goes? for instance:
INPUT 1---------------------------------------------OUTPUT1

Would it go:
MIDI BLOCK--------------------------------???
This is where I get real confused.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Soooooo, it seems that I can use my FM3 to control my Engl. The question now is how do I set the FM3 up in the editor to do this? I have seen people set up the 4CM, but I will use just a MIDI cable.

Do I add a MIDI block where the Input block would go? What would be put where the output block goes? for instance:
INPUT 1---------------------------------------------OUTPUT1

Would it go:
MIDI BLOCK--------------------------------???
This is where I get real confused.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You still need to route the audio between the ENGL and FM3 if you want to use the FM3's audio processing. With just a MIDI cable between the 2, the Fractal is just a MIDI controller that will change channels/settings on your amp - is that your intended use?

The midi block does not need to be in your signal path. It passes no audio.

I suggest sticking it in the grid somewhere "out of the way" of your normal chain.

For audio, it depends on what exactly you want to use both the Amp and FM3 for... 4CM is probably the most flexible setup to using both together.

Reactions: Rex
You still need to route the audio between the ENGL and FM3 if you want to use the FM3's audio processing. With just a MIDI cable between the 2, the Fractal is just a MIDI controller that will change channels/settings on your amp - is that your intended use?
Yes, basically what I want to do is use the FM3 to change the Engls channels and use just the FX of the FM3. I do not want to use the modeling amps in conjunction with the Engl.

In a perfect world, at the rehearsal studio and all shows we headline I will use the Engl and the FM3. The Engl will be main sound and the FM3 will be used basically as a footswitch with FX and scenes.

All shows we are support or when we are out on tour, I want to use the FM3 by itself.

Yes, basically what I want to do is use the FM3 to change the Engls channels and use just the FX of the FM3. I do not want to use the modeling amps in conjunction with the Engl.

In a perfect world, at the rehearsal studio and all shows we headline I will use the Engl and the FM3. The Engl will be main sound and the FM3 will be used basically as a footswitch with FX and scenes.

All shows we are support or when we are out on tour, I want to use the FM3 by itself.

Then see pages 34-36 of the manual. If you want ‘pre’ and ‘post’ FX - and that’s what I recommend for the best tones - you’ll need to use ‘4cm’ (page 36 of the manual) and then a midi cable to switch the ENGL. To keep a clean stage I recommend using a snake with all the audio and MIDI connections, but you can use individual cables if you prefer.

So thank you everyone. I did figure out how to switch the amp channels using the FM3 and a MIDI cable. Now, my big dilemma is using the effects. They sound terrible no matter how I run them. There is also a ton of “hiss” added. I tried the ground lift and that didn’t help. I did run the four cable method and the effects sounded hissy and unnatural.

Is there any settings in the FM3 menu that I need to change?

So thank you everyone. I did figure out how to switch the amp channels using the FM3 and a MIDI cable. Now, my big dilemma is using the effects. They sound terrible no matter how I run them. There is also a ton of “hiss” added. I tried the ground lift and that didn’t help. I did run the four cable method and the effects sounded hissy and unnatural.

Is there any settings in the FM3 menu that I need to change?

Does your amp have serial FX loop?

Sometimes there are ground loops introduced on some amps when running 4cm along with an extra cable for channel switching. Try disconnecting the midi cable to see if that eliminates the hiss.

Back
Top Bottom