Using the FM3 as Audio Interface, but muting non-DAW output

Brandon7s

Hello! I'm trying to figure out how to use the FM3 as an audio interface with my particular setup. My goal is to be able to record a DI signal and the main output at the same time, but I only want to hear what is being routed through my DAW (yes, I know this won't be zero latency), the reason why is because I want to be able to add effects and adjust levels in the DAW in real time.

Problem is, everything that I play through my FM3 plays through two different outputs, both my DAW and the FM3 itself, and of course this causes all kinds of problems. This is something I do with the Helix and HX Stomp all the time, all I have to do is to set the output block on those devices to USB only, that way I'm only hearing what's going through my DAW. Is there any way to do this with the FM3? I've looked through the manual and searched online a good bit and have not yet been able to find a solution to this problem. Is there any way to set the internal preset's output to only go through USB and not the main outputs?

Send your computer output to usb channels 3/4 and set the 3/4 destination in the I/O menu to output 2. That will give you guitar only on output 1, and computer only on output 2. Connect your monitors to output 2 and you'll only hear your computer audio.

Send your computer output to usb channels 3/4 and set the 3/4 destination in the I/O menu to output 2. That will give you guitar only on output 1, and computer only on output 2. Connect your monitors to output 2 and you'll only hear your computer audio.

I thought about this but the problem is that I'm using an external effect pedal for my reverb, so output 2 is unavailable due to it being a Send. Any other way to do it? I can use the SPDIF output if that helps any, but it appears that it can only mirror outputs 1 and 2 as well as input 2 (for the DI if I use that input?), and it can't be used as it's own separate output (aka, output 3 that isn't mirroring anything).

Last edited:
Try turning down the global eq level. That affects chain output level only on the analog outs. The problem is it doesn't have enough travel to silence it.

The problem is the I/O routing on the AxeFX III and FM3 needs to be redesigned. The way it works now is: the routing is fixed, plus there are a few convenient options for altering those routings. The problem is the options are confusing and limited. Half the time I can't figure out what the options do and the other half of the time I find it won't do what I need :).

IMHO, there needs to be a routing matrix where you can flexibly attach the input and output blocks and channels to input and output ports and channels. This would be less confusing than the current set of options and more flexible. With such a matrix, in your case you would simply attach output block 1 to USB channels 1/2, but not connect it to an output port.

Last edited:
Try turning down the global eq level. That affects chain output level only on the analog outs. The problem is it doesn't have enough travel to silence it.

The problem is the I/O routing on the AxeFX III and FM3 needs to be redesigned. The way it works now is: the routing is fixed, plus there are a few convenient options for altering those routings. The problem is the options are confusing and limited. Half the time I can't figure out what the options do and the other half of the time I find it won't do what I need :).

IMHO, there needs to be a routing matrix where you can flexibly attach the input and output blocks and channels to input and output ports and channels. This would be less confusing than the current set of options and more flexible. With such a matrix, in your case you would simply attach output block 1 to USB channels 1/2, but not connect it to an output port.

The Global EQ was a good suggestion, though it apparently does effect the signal to USB, which is a bummer. Looks like I'm not going to be able to simply disable non-USB output after all. They really need to make the routing options more robust. :(

Another way to try to work around this: crank the usb return level way up, and turn the output level way down.

Back
Top Bottom