Using the Axe with In Ear Monitors?

Which UE did you go with? I'm have jh audio jh5, but looking to upgrade to either the UE 18 pro or jh audio 13 pro v2 version.

Hi guys,

I'm just after some help with my axe. I usually use it with my studio monitors at home or via the 4CM with my amp when I gig. My band has a wedding gig in the next few months and the venue wants us to plug directly into their state of the art PA with in ear monitoring.

I have some patches setup already on the axe so I can use them with my studio monitors. As well as my normal presets I use with my amp. I just wondered if there was a particular way I should setup or connect the axe up when at the venue? Should I hook it up in stereo or mono? What do you guys do? Any tips or suggestions you've learnt on the way?

I've never used any in ear monitoring before so this is all new to me.

Many thanks

Paul

Nope, but it is a mainframe system level error condition most often encountered when you have a "divide by zero" situation in COBOL ;).

Thought so. I heard that term pretty often during daily standup meetings back when I worked in development at a bank. Haven't heard it since cobol went out the door, though. :)

Thought so. I heard that term pretty often during daily standup meetings back when I worked in development at a bank. Haven't heard it since cobol went out the door, though. :)
cobol will be with us for a long, long time. It is far from out the door. :)

I'm in the same boat. At least one of my bands is looking to move to IEM. So I just sent off my ear molds to Ultimate Ears. One thing is for certain, you don't want to skimp on these. I know a bunch of folks that have gone the IEM route and every single person has said to not cheap out on the ear buds. A number of folks I know have gone with the less expensive ones and every single one of them has regretted not doing it right to begin with - even less expensive non-custom ones are not really cheap. The quality varies with the custom companies as well. Four out of six folks in one local band here ordered from Alien Ears and all four of them had issues - three had to be redone. My advice is talk to an audiologist that does this a lot and find out who they recommend. Mine said Ultimate Ears was the best she had worked with and she also highly recommended Westone.
I have been looking into the UE's as I get a discount through my church. Which ones did you get? Please let me know about your experience.

People have not stopped dividing by zero just because they're using other languages ;)

Don't I know it. What I was saying was that C# doesn't throw a S0C9 error as such. :)

Hopefully this is helpful to the IEM discussion. Don't divide by zero. Divided by 13 is okay, though.

Don't I know it. What I was saying was that C# doesn't throw a S0C9 error as such. :)

Hopefully this is helpful to the IEM discussion. Don't divide by zero. Divided by 13 is okay, though.
LOL, s0c9 is specifically mainframe (z/OS) only, but not limited to cobol. You'll get the same error code for a divide by zero if running C or C++ on z system, but not .net.

I have been looking into the UE's as I get a discount through my church. Which ones did you get? Please let me know about your experience.
UE7 are recommended for guitar. Band member uses them, recommended by an audiologist that caters to professional musicians. I use 1964 Qi's.

It helps to have a completely separate mix for IEM's, but that's not always realistic (or cheap) in the weekend warrior world.
If you want to get fancy, we have worked around that by layering (splitting) inputs on the X32, mapping channels 1-16 onto 17-32. However, if you have more than 16 inputs, this does NOT work. 1-16 are then used for FOH, and 17-32 for IEM mixes with complete control of EQ, compression, effects, etc. Changes will not affect/impact FOH - it's like having two mixers active at the same time, but in the same box.

You're using the X32 as the splitter or have a separate mic split (like the ART)?

UE7 are recommended for guitar. Band member uses them, recommended by an audiologist that caters to professional musicians. I use 1964 Qi's.

I decided on the 1964ears V6S which is a 6 driver... They are still in build so I can't comment on them yet, but 64 Audio offers better price/features than UE IMO. Of course, they stopped selling the V series yesterday and the A series are a bit closer to UE prices.

I could never get my UE to sound like my pair of K10's. Tried splitting channels, we have an ILive, re-eqing the new channels, eqing my one mix channel, adding ambient mic etc.. Am I just too picky.

A lot of great points!! Our entire band goes direct into the board, no live instruments but the drums. Our singer loves it as she doesn't have to sing over the band, and i love it because no one is turning up throughout the night, messing up the mix!! The biggest thing about going IEM is you really need to mic everything. You will be surprised how easy it is to fall apart if you can't hear the kick drum!
Our band runs through a tiny Mackie DL16 and we have 6 monitor mixes (or 4 if two of us are running in stereo) and it is great. Everything is controlled by IPAD and iphones can be used to get the monitor mixes. We have a 4 space rack with the wireless mic and the IEM transmitters. Doesn't get more simple than that!

If you don't have a ton of gain in your mix you might find your guitar won't have the sustain as you would with a tube amp behind you. If we are playing a big enough room, I will bring a 12 inch powered monitor and run one of the 1/4 in ours to it, to help give me that sustain or feedback if I need it.

The other thing that is hard to get used to is being able to hear your self so cleanly, that you zone into your sound and forget you have a live crowd to perform to!! I have to snap out of it from time to time and remind myself to be a rockstar! haha

The other thing that is hard to get used to is being able to hear your self so cleanly, that you zone into your sound and forget you have a live crowd to perform to!! I have to snap out of it from time to time and remind myself to be a rockstar! haha
I have had that happen from time to time... the sound/mix in your ears is so-o-o awesome you forget that you are actually part of the team that is making that sound.. and you just want to listen... err... oops... sorry guys!!

We've just gone IEM. New Presonus RM32AI 'desk' controlled by iPads and Laptops. 4 x stereo mixes. 1 for each band member. We're all digital (Axe FX, Vetta, Boss Bass type thing and a massive Roland TD30/SPDX set up for the tub thumper). Can't explain how clean and how clear it all sounds with the IEM's. We went for Audifly AF180's. Not custom moulds - although drummer did go that route - and they are superb!

Can't go back to a backline and monitor wedges now. I do sometimes miss the 'thump' of speakers on stage, but not that much to lug them around again!!

Awesome! Would love to see your signal path for it :) Are you using inputs 1-8 for your INS and 9-16 as your OUTS?
So... I drew a quick pic, but it didn't work out so well.. see below for house-provided version. Remove the splitter for when we provide PA.
For House-provided PA - all mics and DI's connect to the stagebox. We then map their layout into the S16/X32 (gives us 32 inputs, 16 outs - but we usually run with 16 INS) and connect using their splitter leg.
On the X32 Producer we [internally] map channels 1-16 onto 17-32 and use the 2nd layer for IEM mixes. We get full control over all 16 channels (except input gain/trim) and any EQ/effect changes DO NOT impact FOH on 1-16. With House PA - channels 1-16 are NOT used (except as INS) - and 17-32 (our IEM mix) remains consistent from gig to gig as we use usually our own mics/DI's. Quick trim adjustments for IEM's if house provides mics. If we have more than 16 inputs, then we simply monitor the FOH channels instead.

The OUTS go to X32 mix busses 1-6 (3 stereo IEM mixes) and 9-12 (2 more Stereo mixes) - controlled via iDevice/Android apps.
Busses 7/8 remains default main L/R OUTS - not connected/unused for House PA
Busses 13-16 remain for effects busses - used for FOH (idle for House) and IEM mix (always active).

Essentially - the config is the same whether it's our PA or the House PA.
For ours, we skip the stage box and INS are directly to the S16/X32.
The S16 is there to ADD additional stereo IEM mixes and support additional inputs (beyond 16) if needed.

IEM-config.jpg

I really like the Mackie DL16, nice and small, 16 inputs is about perfect, but I thought about going to a DL32R (as the user interface on the ipad is the same) or to a Presonus RM32AI The ability to go all stereo in ears would be fantastic, but most of the rest of the band is too cheap!

Back
Top Bottom