Using the Axe Standard for Acoustic

1960lespaul

I am in an acoustic 3 piece now and was looking to put a pedal board together. Then thought I could do all that with my Standard. I'm looking for some delay, chorus, comp and reverb. I made three patches but I was forced to pick an amp too. I picked a USA clean. When I tried to bypass the amp it lost almost all signal. My chain will be acoustic with built in preamp. Into the mixer and then to the powered speakers. Is this how I need to do it or can I bypass the amp sim and only use the effects. I only tried the bypass. Is there a difference in that vs shunt?

Never mind. I did a search before on my phone but didn't see what I was looking for. Thought I would look again and found something. I suppose I am doing it right. Going to try using the tube pre setting tomorrow when I have the house to myself. Too late tonight.

You don't have to use an amp block. Even the tupe pre may introduce more dirt than you might like. If you want to go amp-less but still need to boost the incoming signal then I would suggest using a filter block.

I did wind up using the tube pre and it is amazing! I did worry about too much dirt but it wasn't an issue at all. My only acoustic was a Takamine EF350MC made in Japan. I have went YEARS without plugging it in. So I have been bragging on it. That it was the gold standard in electric acoustic. Exaggerating a bit lol!! Funny....Something that was the bees knees in 95 sounds like ass in 2018 lol!! I had been trying out a ton of new guitars. They ALL crushed that Takamine with the discontinued Graph-Ex preamp. So I didn't want to go spend a bunch on a LR Baggs or Fishman Pre/EQ/Direct box so I looked for alternatives. Enter the Fractal. I already owned it! The difference in running a DI straight to the board vs using the Fractal? Night and day!. Makes that old Takamine sing now. I will later on replace it with the CTP Cool Tube Pre as I'm hearing really good things. Just thought I would give the forum a follow up on my experience.

Glad you got it to sound the way you wanted. I've used different settings just about every time I've played acoustic live and still got good results. If I had any problems at all it was because of the man behind the mixing board. ;)

I recently did an acoustic gig using the Ultra with a Taylor 414. Although it's a great guitar, the piezo is not much for natural acoustic guitar tone. I ended up buying the 3 Sigma IR's: https://www.3sigmaaudio.com/acoustic-impulses/
I bought the Gibson Hummingbird and the Martin D45 impulses. Blended the 2 ir's using Redwirez MIXIR,
much improved tone! Sounds more authentic than just the piezo. Put the cab block first in the chain followed by the TUBE Pre add desired effects...

Back
Top Bottom