Using the axe fx live - tips for the sound guy

most "sound guys" park their Mixer Channel Trim knobs at 12 ' clock. that's where most microphones and other instruments require. many think that if they turn the Trim any lower - even all the way down - that the quality is being reduced. it isn't.

when i run my Axe at a particular gig, i actually need the Trim knob on the mixer turned all the way down. but the quality is GREAT and i have a ton of level on the Faders.

so many "sound guys" struggle with the concept that every instrument and mic and singer is different, and you need to tailor the Trim to the particular instrument every time.

so that's why it's recommended to keep the Axe outputs low, so it jives with their assumed preset of Trim at 12.

I didn't think it mattered. Thanks. ]

I use a Matrix Q12 to monitor myself and go direct to the board, but since I'm in the monitor mix for the rest of the band I don't turn it up that much. Just enough so that I can hear myself well enough without the singer hearing it.
Thanks!

I generally run it between 9 and 12 O'clock depending on what the sound guy wants; when possible I make sure I can chat to the FOH and monitor guys well before our set and give them a heads up on what to expect and go from there. The last gig I played the sound guy almost jumped out of his skin with excitement when he saw the Axe; anything that makes their life easier usually leads to a better gig.

In the case I can't rely on the venue having decent monitors I use a Matrix GT800FX power amp into a Mesa Recto compact 2x12. I run the Axe on channel A and our bass player runs his Sansamp through channel B into a bass cab. Works a treat and is light with huge headroom.

I run mine around 12 o'clock and just have the sound guy pad me down a bit. In rare cases when the board ( or the soundman ) can't seem to make this happen i carry a XLR line pad with me. It has 3 selectable pads on it and will knock the level down to where they need it.

I have 2 weeks and 2 live shows with my AXE FXII... when I was setting up my presets I connected my AXE through the two XLR outputs to my audio interface and I realized that setting the output level control at 50% was good, it was giving a similar amount of signal just as the previous guitar preamp I was using before the AXE... So, at the first show with the AXE, I set my output level at 50% and the sound guy was very happy with the amount of signal and with the sound of my guitar ;-)

If it's a sound engineer I know then it's XLR's to the desk with the line input selected (i.e. padded). If it's a festival situation I just take a DI box and swap it out with 'the guitar mic' on stage. Gives them the correct level and the most amazing mic'd guitar sound they have ever heard without being any the wiser.

Question to anybody on this thread using Axe Fx live...what are you using as a monitor onstage?
I use in-ears for my main gig and 4-cable method with an amp for local gigs and they both work perfectly. Be sure and get a pair of humbuster cables if you go 4-cable.

(snip) ...so that's why it's recommended to keep the Axe outputs low, so it jives with their assumed preset of Trim at 12.
Great post, Chris. You make a good point. I usually work with the same FOH from gig to gig, but occasionally play at festivals where there is a dedicated FOH for the event. In those circumstances, we often are moving quickly between bands, and during switchover I just pull the XLR cables from the previous band's amp mics, and plug them into my AxeFX. The engineer sometimes doesn't have time (or advance notice) to adjust the trim on my inputs. I usually go wide open on my outputs because I'm accustomed to our dedicated FOH engineer who likes the predictability of full output, but I might start dialing back to 12 o'clock just to be a good musical citizen when playing in other settings. :)

but I might start dialing back to 12 o'clock just to be a good musical citizen when playing in other settings. :)
I'd suggest even starting at 9 o clock just to be safe.

The look of shock when I send too much signal and they don't POSSIBLY know what to do is worth it though. "OMG ur overloading my mixer!!" *channel trim is at 3 o clock*.........

I generally keep mine at about 9 o'clock and haven't gotten any complaints from soundguys or requests for more signal.

I'd suggest even starting at 9 o clock just to be safe.

The look of shock when I send too much signal and they don't POSSIBLY know what to do is worth it though. "OMG ur overloading my mixer!!" *channel trim is at 3 o clock*.........
Chris....
Basic FOH-101 rule-of-thumb for any FOH engineer on a multi-band Festival (or other) event where line check is all they get time for, is to start with the TRIM/GAIN "OFF" and raise as meters indicate. The REAL mix occurs during the bands first song!

It's only inexperienced FOH that will unmute a channel with TRIM at 3 o clock* not having a clue as to what's coming their way!! You should ever see that deer-in-the-headlights look with anyone that has a clue! :)
Then again, I've seen folks run digital consoles with faders all flat at unity and mixing with the TRIM's!! :eek::mad:

Chris....
Basic FOH-101 rule-of-thumb for any FOH engineer on a multi-band Festival (or other) event where line check is all they get time for, is to start with the TRIM/GAIN "OFF" and raise as meters indicate. The REAL mix occurs during the bands first song!

It's only inexperienced FOH that will unmute a channel with TRIM at 3 o clock* not having a clue as to what's coming their way!! You should ever see that deer-in-the-headlights look with anyone that has a clue! :)
Then again, I've seen folks run digital consoles with faders all flat at unity and mixing with the TRIM's!! :eek::mad:

+1

I set the trims with faders at unity but it is not my mix. That is the old school way of gain staging. It does work if you know how to do it that way.

I mix with the faders after setting the trims.

+1

I set the trims with faders at unity but it is not my mix. That is the old school way of gain staging. It does work if you know how to do it that way.

I mix with the faders after setting the trims.
Sure it works.. for analog.. not the best approach for digital tho'...
I set TRIM levels with PFL/SOLO's and VU metering to set gain - then leave it and mix with faders. Apply judicious compression where needed :)
To be sure.. sometimes the instrument output level increases (guitar/bass/keys) as they "up" their stage volume. I n that case, I'll PFL/SOLO the channel again, check meter levels and adjust down if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom