Using the Axe-FX III as Hi-End 300B Audiophile Tube Amplifier

Piing

Axe-Master
The AMP block has a cool 300B tube. Two Amp Blocks in parallel using Tube-Pre, hard panned L&R, and you can save the $$,$$$ or $$$,$$$ of a hi-end tube amplifier. It really makes a difference (with hi-quality speakers or headphones)

I attach a preset. Different scenes with different variations. I am also using the CAB Console Preamp (with a flat IR). Different Preamp Types add different flavors.

The signal must be directed to the Axe-FX USB Input, not to the Output. Since the Axe-FX ASIO USB driver is not directly accessible on Windows, this requires a Media Player that supports ASIO.

I have found AIMP for Windows to be a good one. It can even play 44kHz files through the Axe-FX. It reconverts on-the-fly

These are the settings at Aimp:
AIMP FAS ASIO Settings.png

6%20Sophia%20Electric%2091-03.jpg

nos-300B-eng-base-pair.jpg

Western Electric 300B $900

Attachments

• Hi-End Audiophile Amplification.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
This is quite clever. Do you need two amp blocks? Do you have a clip for comparison? I’d try it myself but I have an FM3.

You need two amp blocks because the amp is mono.

I haven't made recordings. There is a Bypass Scene that allows fast A/B comparison

Thanks for the tip on using AIMP to route the audio to channels 7 and 8 w/o full DAW.

Now I'd like to use it to jam with a backing track and route to Zoom/Skype etc.
Does anybody know how I can download an audio from youtube, or route this audio similar to AIMP w/o DAW on Windows?

Fascinating and intriguing. So cool. I'm sort of an audiophile. More of a wannabe since the wallet precludes most of that ridiculously priced stuff. My computer system is Mac based. I've always used a Focusrite Saffire Liq 56 for audio inputs and outputs, recording, etc.. Been a Fractal User since the Standard/Ultra days but must admit, today was the first time I used the AXE-III as an audio interface...and of course, it sounds great. So, I selected the AXE-III as input and output on my System Preferences => Sound hear audio. But there seems to be nothing running through the preset you provided. I'd love to get this working on my system. Any advice on set up would be appreciated? Thanks!

Fascinating and intriguing. So cool. I'm sort of an audiophile. More of a wannabe since the wallet precludes most of that ridiculously priced stuff. My computer system is Mac based. I've always used a Focusrite Saffire Liq 56 for audio inputs and outputs, recording, etc.. Been a Fractal User since the Standard/Ultra days but must admit, today was the first time I used the AXE-III as an audio interface...and of course, it sounds great. So, I selected the AXE-III as input and output on my System Preferences => Sound hear audio. But there seems to be nothing running through the preset you provided. I'd love to get this working on my system. Any advice on set up would be appreciated? Thanks!
Open "Audio MIDI Setup"->select Axe-Fx III device->configure speakers->set outputs to out7/8. Default is Out1/2 which bypasses the grid, USB Input block is USB 7/8. You might want to have your volume low, the preset is quite a bit louder than the regular USB setup.

Thank you so much Zac! I didn't think to mess with the Audio Midi Setup. It worked perfectly! Pretty cool and fun to experiment with settings. I did notice in the patch that Piing shared that Scene three is labeled "ECC83 + EL34" but the PA tubes are set to KT88. Easy fix. Thanks again.

And many thanks Piing for coming up with this idea and sharing a ready made patch.

And on the question above as to how to record from Youtube or the like, Total Recorder works for me. This is not an endorsement for copyright infringement.

Back
Top Bottom