Using the Axe-Fx III as an interface vs Scarlett 2i2

Legaato

I just got my Axe Fx III in the mail today and I was wondering which is better. With the Axe Ultra I would go through my Scarlett to record, but I read that you can use the Axe III as an interface. Which one do you guys think would yield better results?

It’s better to use the AxeFX and record via USB. It makes reamping simpler and avoids the additional latency and complications that comes with putting an interface between it and your computer.

That said, there are circumstances where you might prefer to use an interface. For example if you’re recording audio from a microphone at the same time as your guitar and are unable to use an aggregate device to combine them for some reason.

In my experience the axe 3 isn’t the best usb interface. My Apollo twin is more rock solid in my experience.

Reamping is easier with usb but you’ll also be married to 48k

I use the Axe FX as my general interface. I held onto my old M-Audio interface simply because it has preamps and phantom power for microphones. I'll probably pick up a small mixer with those features to replace the M-Audio and just run that into the Axe FX pretty soon. Less to deal with in software and drivers. Axe USB interface has been rock solid for me. Way easier for reamping especially.

The choice of which interface to use when more than one is available boils down to a few things;
I/O and other routing availability
A/D/A conversion quality
Pre-amp requirements
Quality of circuit board construction
Integration options
And is some cases, software compatibility.

If all one is doing is playing and recording guitar, then nothing other than the AxeFX is necessary, otherwise choose depending on what is actually required overall.

I use an Avid Omni s/pdif to the AxeFXIII and pick either or (depending on what I'm doing in a session) by simply choosing which one to use within Pro Tools setup menu.

I use my AX3 as my sole interface. I record and reamp guitar (I also have my Mesa with a load box in the loop), bass, and vocals (with external preamp) through it. I previously had a RME which cost as much as the AX3 itself. It was great but since I don't need more than the 4 inputs the AX3 offers and I couldn't hear the slightest difference between the A/D D/A converters, I sold the RME. I have a cheap Presonus Audiobox interface in case I need anything for MIDI (I haven't), but even with that many products have MIDI over USB now.

Can you expand on that? More rock solid in what way?

I don't have the Apollo, but I can get a lot better latency performance with my RME Babyface Pro than the AxeFx when using some virtual instruments (for example VSL Steinway piano samples are unplayable on the Axe at the latency I need). Which is a shame because I much prefer the headphone out on the Axe over the RME.

I made a thread about it here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-latency-improvements-possible.152005/

If all you're doing is recording guitar and line level instruments, I'd use the AxeFx as the interface.

I don't have the Apollo, but I can get a lot better latency performance with my RME Babyface Pro than the AxeFx when using some virtual instruments (for example VSL Steinway piano samples are unplayable on the Axe at the latency I need). Which is a shame because I much prefer the headphone out on the Axe over the RME.

I made a thread about it here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-latency-improvements-possible.152005/

If all you're doing is recording guitar and line level instruments, I'd use the AxeFx as the interface.
That's a good point. I haven't used any virtual instruments in real time since I sold my RME UFX, I didn't think about the latency.

Depends on your needs interms of recording, play, I/O numbers, types, etc.

For a direct, no brainer AFX3 recording, AFX usb is perfect.
For more work, based on a DAW with multiple recording tracks, vsti playing, etc. I plug my AFX3 in my Motu 828es with S/PDIF => no AD/DA conversion, low latency, etc.

All,
I am just getting into home recording and considering what I need. I have been reading threads and many other resources about home recording and it's a bit overwhelming. I envision doing the following:

• recording my guitar using the Ax III - probably several tracks with ability to reamp
  • record bass going through the Ax III - with a bass and/or virtual capo on guitar
  • record my acoustic guitar with a mic in my studio
  • record singing into a mic
  • record keys
  • Use plug ins for drums and other effects

For that, I would imagine I would probably need more than just the Ax III. So, my questions are:

1. What interface should I use? I keep hearing about Apollo Twin as being one of the best.
2. I have a Mac Pro and will be using Logic so does that change answer to #1
3. Suggestions for mics?
4. Suggestions for drum plug ins
5. Any other sage advice :)

Thanks.

Joe

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom