Using the Axe FX II as purely an AMP unit (without the effects modelling)

vinnieRice

Inspired
Thought I'd go back to basics and not try to make the AFX 'everything' but see just how good it can be at its original purpose.

Bit of an epiphany actually.

Amp Block -> Cab Block with stereo Ultra cabs + High Quality pre-amp modelling (Transformer, Drive 2, Sat 2) -> Reverb (Studio A or Sun Plate) on High Quality.

OMG it sounds bloody awesome.

For specific songs on gigs then a specific effects preset is the order of the day but for home/studio noodling - I'm in love all over again.

That's the beauty of the Axe. It sounds so good you don't need a bunch of crap piled on top to make it work. Many of my favorite presets have 3 blocks, amp, cab, and reverb (bit of ambience or spring usually). All the bells and whistles can be a lot of fun, but they can also be very distracting too. Nice to have but definitely not required for great tone. There's always something cool about just plugging straight into a tube amp. The Axe covers that vibe surprisingly well.

I have a few presets like this but I use the delay in the cab block to add a touch of dimension to the sound.

Thought I'd go back to basics and not try to make the AFX 'everything' but see just how good it can be at its original purpose....

I believe, and Cliff can correct me if I'm mistaken, the original purpose of the Axe-Fx was for it to be equally an amp modeler (though I know Cliff doesn't like to use that word to describe it) and multi-effects processor. The whole thing started from Cliff writing reverb algorithms & graphic EQ "stuff" for PC's, not amp simulations.

Last edited:
As with most things in life, moderation is the key

Just because the Axe can do 20 effects at once doesn't mean you need it or it will sound good (exceptions obviously will apply) and likewise, while a raw amp can sound good, there is nothing wrong with adding a few effects like verb or maybe a delay on a lead, maybe a little comp on some cleans etc.

I've always noticed people seem to feel that its the old massive pedal board, or you use just a cable between the guitar and amp with no effects. No middle ground.

Your either Angus or your John (RCHP) lol

Ok - refined with a short slapback tape delay, a longer ducked 2290 delay and a super slow quad chorus for stereo width when using headphones. I'm using 85-90% of processing! Sounds fantastic. This is now my standard template across the board.

The other thing I have discovered recently is to use the boost button plus only a touch more gain (2.00 - 3.00) to get overdriven sounds - there's quite a tonal shift with most amps when you crank the gain - doing it this way, with the boost button, seems to keep that under control.

90% of my presets are amp-cab-studio c reverb. I only typically use delay in solo scenes. I'm typically handling rhythm duties with a second guitarist though. If I was a lone slinger, I'd probably have some delay on to help thicken things up.

Most of the time I'm only using amp, cab and reverb. Sometimes delay. Yet I have blocks for drive trem and other choices when they're called for. In my mind it's like a pedalboard. I don't have all the pedals on at the same time....but they're there when needed.

My typical preset is amp->cab->delay->reverb. I use a tiny bit of Mono Tape delay and a little High Quality reverb.

Exactly the same for me 90% of the time.. typically a slap setting on the Mono Tape for me... Delay 2 is a longer Mono Tape I use a little less often.. Studio A or C reverb..

Doing the exact same thing. Brilliant sounding rig, my whole pedalboard in front of 2 amps, 2 high res cabs, mono tape delay, vintage digital and reverb (sun plate or large room).

At about 85-90%.

Utilizing a lot of parameters in the cab block (room size, proximity with null, high and low pass fulter)...can you shed some light on how you set/incorporate the preamp in the cab block?

Since I'm blending 2 amps, not sure if there's any benefit to using a stereo cab block vs 2 separate cab blocks? If I use stereo do I just pan the amps L and R to their respective cabs, and then keep both cabs panned center? Might save some CPU this way?

Back
Top Bottom